Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I often prefer live versions of songs as opposed to recorded for a few reasons:

• More energy, a crowd gets a lot more out of a performance
  • Often bands might rush to finish a song in the studio, when they play it live 100 times it can change and IMO it ends up being how the song should have been
  • The odd **** up doesn't bother me, means it is more authentic (except those weak pricks who overdub)
  • You really can tell how good a band is by their live performances (RHCP I'm looking at you)
Nah, bands generally wreck a song in studio and it's because they overthink it.

They generally lose that intangible element they had as live tracks, but more often than not they just neuter tempos, cut out backing vocals, or change a lyric or sound so it fits in better with the theme of an album. it's still really good, but Favourite from the new Fontaines DC album is a bit of a victim of this.

Nah, bands generally wreck a song in studio and it's because they overthink it.

They generally lose that intangible element they had as live tracks, but more often than not they just neuter tempos, cut out backing vocals, or change a lyric or sound so it fits in better with the theme of an album. it's still really good, but Favourite from the new Fontaines DC album is a bit of a victim of this.

Yeah I agree with that too. That's why I feel like when they start playing live bands usually discover the original "vibe" of it when they came up with it and it sounds better generally.

Also sometimes they haven't really finished a song when it gets recorded, maybe they get rushed or something, or even perhaps the producer wanted them to include something which they might take out live.

maybe it's not unpopular, don't know. but lyric videos are complete ass.

i would rather sit and look at a still image of the album cover if i have to look at a screen. the problem with using words as something visual is they need to be good in a couple of ways, nice to look at and well-written. got no idea why some bands just lay our their terrible lyrics, probably to connect to their 13 year old fans.

maybe it's not unpopular, don't know. but lyric videos are complete ass.

i would rather sit and look at a still image of the album cover if i have to look at a screen. the problem with using words as something visual is they need to be good in a couple of ways, nice to look at and well-written. got no idea why some bands just lay our their terrible lyrics, probably to connect to their 13 year old fans.
Not only that, but some of them - even official lyric videos - have some of the lyrics wrong.

Which tells me that the artists themselves have not much to do with putting them together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back