Unqualified respect

Remove this Banner Ad

camrock

Rookie
Oct 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
In talking to people about the Hall of Fame inductees I've noticed that a club's supporters often value players differently to how they might be perceived by outsiders.

For example, I - and a lot of the people I know - would consider the most respected current Collingwood player to be Scott Burns, the most respected living player to be Gavin Brown and of all time, for those who've taken the opportunity to talk to older people about the game before their memories are lost to us, to be Syd Coventry. And yes, it's probably an appalling indictment that the embodiment of our club played in the 1920s and 1930s, but he led from the front in four straight premiership sides, for God's sake.

Who commands unqualified respect (for both their ability and character) among Essendon supporters? Is that different from what outsiders might believe? I would guess James Hird and Dick Reynolds (and fair enough too) in cases 2 and 3.

I agree with every name put out there and would even include Fletcher amongst those names. Been solid as a rock for us his whole career, All Australian a couple of times and at one point was the best defender in the comp.

My mum saw Coleman play at least twice a year and is emphatic that he is the best forward she ever saw play the game.

My old man says the same, he grew up in Essendon and went to WH quite often... said Coleman had a vertical leap equal to any of today's current crop as well as being unbelievably talented.

As for the OP, this would be a list, obviously I didn't see all of them play but it's based on reputation:

Albert Thurgood, Dick Reynolds, Bill Hutchison, John Coleman, Terry Daniher, James Hird.

Special mentions to Ken Fletcher, Simon Madden and Kevin Sheedy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unqualified respect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back