Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s a monster Gabriel. Monstrous performance today. Not just the winning goal however he ate up anything they dished up, especially the last ten minutes.

Raya caught anything in his vicinity. Clean hands, one grab. Such a contrast to the flapping nature of his opposite number at the other end. What a difference that resolute defence makes across the team. It permeates.

Arteta nailed this today. I knew there had to be a rationale in trimming the squad down, and what would the plan be if a number of absences in midfield occurred.

It necessitates a shift in tactics and what a luxury to call upon the caliber of Jorginho in a break glass in case of emergency role. Took over us the on field coach in lieu of Odegaard and pulled the strings.

Nwaneri very composed in the brief time he was on. Wanted the ball and knows the system. More minutes for him please against Atalanta.

Make no mistake, this Arsenal is different. Previous iterations would’ve collapsed under the injuries and suspensions etc. Outstanding result here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are your thoughts on Jorginho rather than Partey when Rice is available?

I can’t quite put my finger on it. Since Partey returned to fitness, I believe Jorginho had only played 30 minutes prior to last night. For me, he had “gone ahead” of Partey based on performances. If anything, I felt Jorginho was under-utilised in moments (such as Bayern).

However clearly there’s something that Arteta prefers from Partey that I can quite pin down. The line breaking passing isn’t quite what it once was. He is ceding possession too often for me. Gets caught on the spin too much for my liking either. However clearly he’s doing the job tasked with, he’s playing every minute so far and to be fair (hopefully no jinx) this is the longest run of successive matches for club and country he’s put together so his fitness seems back on track.

To answer your question though mate, I would prefer Jorginho when Rice returns this week. Especially an away match in Italy, with the absence of Odeegard, Jorginho’s presence becomes even more crucial on the field.

Very intelligent footballer, I pay close attention to him, he sees the next pass before it happens. Instructs his teammates accordingly and a very calming presence. What we give up in terms of pace with him on the field, we gain more so with leadership. Fantastic signing he’s been.

When you go one behind against this Arsenal team, you’ve got to do something special to get back because it’s very, very tough,” Shearer said.

“They’ve got the best back four in the Premier League, there’s no doubt about that. The way they operate, the way they work, the way they’re protected.

Remove this Banner Ad

Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back