Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally got around to watching the mini match. Saliba and Gabriel are simply immense. We fiddled around with it early in the first half when White gave it away but up stepped Big Willy and the danger was eradicated. I thought the yellow on Timber was dubious at best.

Those last few minutes were nervy even on a replay; Kulu's shot was a belter.

Bring on City. I'd not be surprised if we keep Haaland quiet given how good our back five are.

Random thoughts from revisiting the win at 3 point lane.

- Martinelli, I apologise. Was way too harsh when watching it live. He’s actually had one of the best games I’ve seen him play. Whilst he doesn’t have the end product to reflect that, he’s clearly delivered everything that he would’ve been instructed by Arteta. His defensive work was phenomenal. He and Saka did so much grunt work backing up their fullbacks. Some crucial moments where they negated their build up.

- Timber hadn’t played a 90 since his ACL. Jorginho hasn’t played a 90 for Arsenal since April. No wonder Arteta went with Martinelli here. Those two around him needed the extra reliability and defensive support, plus the pace and threat he offers on the counter. Spurs only managed 7 successful dribbles/take ons for the entire match. Martinelli on his own had 6. He was outstanding, and if/when he gets that goal to break the drought, phwoar watch out.

- Havertz is a ****ing beast. This is one of the great test case signings that I can recall. It’s as if Arteta has turned the biggest “weakness” of Havertz (“what is he, is he an 8, a 10, a striker??”) and turned it into a weapon. He’s a blend all of the above whenever he needs to be at any given moment of a match. The grunt work he puts into the press is brilliant, especially in the absence of Odegaard who otherwise the team looks to in order to activate. Havertz has fast become integral to this Arsenal, he’s reliable, durable, versatile and has a hell of an engine in him. £60m down the drain :D

- David Raya, arguably Arsenal’s best player so far this season. I said many times last year that we’re unlikely to see the best of him or Ramsdale whilst the other was still at the club. It just wasn’t a conducive environment. He started off almost looking sheepish, guilty perhaps, for usurping a very popular figure at Arsenal. However something finally clicked, like he belonged, around the Porto tie. Since then, the belief and ownership of the role has been palpable.

- Raya gobbled up anything that was in his zone. The cleanest hands of a keeper at Arsenal than I can recall since Seamen. Whereas before I used to think the differential between he and Ramsdale was marginal, there’s just no question now. He played the second most passes I believe, that was surely tactical. Clean hands, quick feet to come out and negate a threat, quality distribution, he ticks all the boxes. Pure class.

- Arteta has demonstrated significant growth and progress here. I was heavily critical in the past with his almost righteous way playing, that it had to be the Arsenal way or nothing. ie, not making the change with Holding for Kiwior sooner because of the specificity of no left footed centre halves pairing. He’s completely evolved here. His tactics over the weekend played Spurs like a fiddle. It was actually funny at times.

- In that back 4/5 (with Calafiori, Zinny, Tomiyasu etc also in the defensive group), this is about as comprehensive a defensive unit as I’ve seen in my ~30 years following Arsenal. Arteta knew as we did, that having Jorginho and Partey stationed high up the pitch would leave us too vulnerable on the spin. As we’ve been undone before through the middle.

- Instead, he cranked them back, didn’t invert Timber, called upon the defensive skill set of the front 4, and completely stifled them. He didn’t stick with a rigid 4-3-3, when he needed to it was more of a 4-2-2-2. They way the players transitioned and positioned themselves in or out of possession was like watching aircraft keep formation. A testament to the level of training and discipline instilled.

- I cannot recall a meaningful chance they had in the box in the second half. After going ahead, their attacked play resorted to taking long range attempts or cross after cross that either Raya collected or Gabriel (powered up by his goal) just dismissed with relative ease. As the legendary Gandalf once said: “you shall not pass!”

- I would love to see Nwaneri either start or play half an hour against Atalanta. His physique really stood out to me. Those two years since he brief debut to now, he looks like he belongs against men. No more u21s for this guy, he’s ready to be integrated.

- I think Jesus and perhaps Sterling start Friday morning. Rice back for Partey perhaps, who has played a lot lately, with one eye on City on the weekend.

- Arsenal in 2024 on the road: 11 matches, 10 wins and a draw (at City), 31 goals scored, 3 conceded. Take a moment to take that in. 3 goals conceded. Holy shit. This is a level of sustained excellence that will hopefully be rewarded with tangible silverware to show for it. Only time will tell of course, however what a glorious time to be an Arsenal fan.

Odegaard out for an extended period apparently.. who comes in for him? Viera loaned out, ESR sold, Nwaneri is 17 yrs old

An injury here or there and our squad seems really thin.. the bench v tottenham for example.. nwaneri was always coming in but the others kinda seem fast tracked to me no?

Last edited:
Odegaard out for an extended period apparently.. who comes in for him? Viera loaned out, ESR sold, Nwaneri is 17 yrs old

An injury here or there and our squad seems really thin.. the bench v tottenham for example.. nwaneri was always coming in but the others kinda seem fast tracked to me no?

Reports suggest a November/December return, damn. At least it’s not more severe than that. I can remember RvP returning from international duty in the past with a broken ankle, out for 6-9 months and Arsenal’s season with it.

In terms of like for like, yes Nwaneri is the most natural fit. Whilst not ideal, I genuinely get a feeling about this guy. Fans can so often overhype a youth player and how many times have we seen them not reach those expectations.

Nwaneri for me has been included in the first team scene (training, match day etc) for the last year or two for a reason: he’s earned his way in. They’re not scared to give him the ball, he knows the system, and all those hours on the training ground with his teammates will hopefully prove fruitful the next few months.

Having said that, Arteta has shown more strings to his bow recently. Depending on the opposition, the situation, the players available, he has adjusted accordingly.

Havertz has been pivotal in making this possible. With the double blow of Odeegard and Merino out at the same time, Havertz is the stability needed. He excels in the role of playing off a Jesus or Trossard as the second striker or as a 10.

It’s certainly not ideal. However leaning into your squad depth during moments of the season happens to every team who wants to win stuff. Edu, Parlour, Kanu, Wiltord etc, they all played more minutes for The Invincibles than we can probably recall when looking back at that first XI.

I am confident that whoever comes in, will get shit done to keep those results ticking over in the interim.

Gee I’d love be to be as optimistic as you glenferry23

Nwaneri is 17 I can’t see him replacing odegaard for 2 - 3 months full time, I could be wrong but it seems unlikely

Arteta may have to change the whole setup entirely I reckon.

It’s why selling ESR and then loaning out Viera was a head scratcher at the time

Gee I’d love be to be as optimistic as you glenferry23

Nwaneri is 17 I can’t see him replacing odegaard for 2 - 3 months full time, I could be wrong but it seems unlikely

Arteta may have to change the whole setup entirely I reckon.

It’s why selling ESR and then loaning out Viera was a head scratcher at the time

That’s not what I was saying buddy, Nwaneri I don’t believe is stepping in for 2-3 months. I mentioned if it’s a like for like set up, Nwaneri is likely the next up for some minutes as a right 8.

However, I don’t believe it will be this way. Arteta has adjusted the system to account for the absences. He’s already done it, the in possession/out of possession against Spurs was entirely different. I’m expecting more of the same. If game state allows, I’d love to see Nwaneri integrated getting some crucial 20-30 minutes here and there.

He set up that way v spurs because he had to.. I doubt he’ll set up that way for the duration of odegaard’s absence.. you can’t rely on us being set piece fc for 3 months and expect to still be competing for the title

How do you believe he will set up the team then during this patch?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is why arteta is on the big bucks, just hope he has a plan b and c because I think the odegaard injury is probably the one arsenal could least afford.

Yes and at the risk of repeating myself, he’s already demonstrating his alternative plans. He didn’t have to set up this way vs Spurs, he chose to. He could’ve blooded Nwaneri alongside Havertz as the two 8s with Trossard as the 9 in a 4-3-3.

However he didn’t, and I believe he will continue to adapt game by game depending on the circumstances.

Bigger risk starting nwaneri in the nld away

It just causes all sorts of problems.. moving Havertz into mid for example.. we don’t really have a bankable goal scorer.. they all chip in, Jesus coming in who doesn’t score and then taking away the bloke who creates most opportunities in odegaard as well and Havertz who has been excellent up forward.

I’m just worried, it’s going to be a tough 3 months, the squad is light particularly in odegaard’s dept.

Think this will be toughest test for arteta so far imo.

Could very easily lose the title in the next three months I reckon.

Saka being absent would trouble me more, I feel he’s quietly become Arsenal’s leader in terms of chance creation. 4 assists, 1 goal in 4 league matches, such are the expectations of him that this can kinda go unnoticed largely.

It’s a big test yes however I felt that week after losing to Bayern and Villa in April was arguably worse. Away to Wolves, Chelsea and then away to Spurs in the week after. In times gone by we would’ve completely collapsed however he got them going after that, 9 from 9 points in the aftermath.

I take great comfort from that, this Arsenal is different. Understandably as fans we worry about this kind of thing however I get the sense that most of that is external noise. Within the club the next man up mentality seems palpable, and they almost relish the opportunity. Been a long time since I could confidently say that about Arsenal.

I think you may need to get those rose coloured glasses surgically removed, you are just talking vibes my man, love the optimism but if there was one injury that could derail our season we have it right now imo.

It will be an interesting three months anyway, I’m hoping for the best but won’t be surprised if we are all disappointed come three months time.

I’m quite content to wear that, if my confidence in the club because Arsenal is good again means I’m wearing those glasses/goggles, that’s fine with me! :D

1020051.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back