Up the Arse! Goons Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to give him a chance. He may flourish being the main man up forward for a few months. Let's be honest he can't do any worse than Sanogo.

I'll judge him after he's played a few games.
I never thought I'd get a chance to say this but your comment is the sanest one on here.

Welbeck is a good signing for us. He won't be 24 until late November, he's tough, deceptively quick, scores and has good movement. He is a far better signing than the soft **** Cavani and a better signing than Remy who plays one game, is out for the next 3 or 4.

We needed to get someone who is going to come in and play straight away, not some fella from the continent who has never come up against the extremely physically demanding and psycho pace of the EPL.

I am confident that Welbeck will surprise many around here. He and Sanchez will work a treat together I reckon.

I never thought I'd get a chance to say this but your comment is the sanest one on here.

Welbeck is a good signing for us. He won't be 24 until late November, he's tough, deceptively quick, scores and has good movement. He is a far better signing than the soft **** Cavani and a better signing than Remy who plays one game, is out for the next 3 or 4.

We needed to get someone who is going to come in and play straight away, not some fella from the continent who has never come up against the extremely physically demanding and psycho pace of the EPL.

I am confident that Welbeck will surprise many around here. He and Sanchez will work a treat together I reckon.
I also believe he will work his socks off to knock Giroud out as a certain starter for the club. If he puts some hunger and determination in and shows he doesn't want to play second fiddle, it might work to our benefit moreso than we have though.

PS. Wenger does play a "sort of" 2 up front. He plays a bloke way up top and two and some times three others whose job it is to get up in support of the front man so in effect, whilst he doesn't play your traditional 2 up front, he plays a one with whoever else up in support because to play another player along side the front man would mean a lot less room for the fullbacks to get forward. That's the problem with Wenger, his tactics aren't flexible and as a consequence, teams know what we are going to do week in and week out.

Welbeck will give us a presence up there and as someone else said, he doesn't have to contend with playing second fiddle to Rooney and/or van Persie.

Last edited:

I'm all for Welbeck to be deployed in the CF role, but your above comments read similar to what Wenger has trumpeted in Joel Campbell. Who has refused to start once, and who didn't even make a sub appearance over the weekend. That's my main concern - but what's Wenger's actual plan with Welbeck?

To provide back up to Sanogo? Or to replace him in the starting line up?

Genuine question. Only time will tell I guess.

I also believe he will work his socks off to knock Giroud out as a certain starter for the club. If he puts some hunger and determination in and shows he doesn't want to play second fiddle, it might work to our benefit moreso than we have though.
I couldn't agree more. This lad has a point to prove.

It's difficult to get a handle on players from other clubs because let's face it, if you're a Gunners fan and you have a choice of watching The Arsenal or another game that's on at the same time, you're gonna pick Arsenal(I know I certainly would) and that of course, necessarily means that one's exposure to players from other clubs is limited to basically when they play us.

Take for instance that Bony lad that plays for Swansea, he hasn't scored this year but Swansea are undefeated and scoring goals as a direct result of Bony's incredible team play and class and yet, because he doesn't hog the limelight, supporters of other clubs may tend to underestimate just how good he is. It's the same with Welbeck although given a choice of one or the other, I'd take Bony every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Bony is a few years older and a hardened campaigner and worth the 50-75% more we'd have had to pay for him but Welbeck, he could well prove to be a bargain.

Surely 16m on a guy who's actually scored a premier league goal should start.
I might have been a bit harsh on my assessment of him, bit expensive though but that's what happens when you buy someone late (and because he's English).
Better than Sanogo and adds a different dimension. Still would have preferred Bony though but lets see what he can do.
**** the international break.
Still needed a DM badly though. I think people are just disappointed since we made some early signings and then we wait until the last day and still miss out on a DM.

I'm all for Welbeck to be deployed in the CF role, but your above comments read similar to what Wenger has trumpeted in Joel Campbell. Who has refused to start once, and who didn't even make a sub appearance over the weekend. That's my main concern - but what's Wenger's actual plan with Welbeck?

He's the third highest transfer fee in our clubs history.

You're right Glen, he said practically the same about Campbell but I don't reckon he sees him as a center forward because of he isn't tall enough(in his eyes) and has him pegged as a Walcott type/secondary striker which is a shame.

If Wenger plays Sanogo before Welbeck and bought Welbeck as back up to Sanogo, then I suggest that we all chip in and hire an assassin to pay Arsène a visit.

He's the third highest transfer fee in our clubs history.

That's no guarantee he'll be used correctly. The highest paid acquisition in our history now been played ridiculously out of position.

Anyway, given a decent crack at the CF role, I think Welbeck will perform and will link up very nicely with Sanchez, Ozil and Ramsey. They'll all need time to gel and integrate with each other's style of play, which I hope Wenger provides them with instead of reverting back to the Sanogo experiment.

You're right Glen, he said practically the same about Campbell but I don't reckon he sees him as a center forward because of he isn't tall enough(in his eyes) and has him pegged as a Walcott type/secondary striker which is a shame.

If Wenger plays Sanogo before Welbeck and bought Welbeck as back up to Sanogo, then I suggest that we all chip in and hire an assassin to pay Arsène a visit.

Walcott is still some months away but he and Sanchez occupying either flanks, with Welbeck up top and Ozil at number 10 and Ramsey coming in from deep will cause some problems. But that's on the assumption all players are fit at the same time which is a major challenge.

Disappointing to miss out on a DM or a CB but it appears that Wenger wasn't willing to be involved in the third party and mendez dealing for Carvalho, which I personally don't blame him for (don't need mendez anywhere near the club). Though having missed out on Carvalho it would have been nice to have landed a CB who could release Chambers to play DM which I think will happen anyway leaving us very slim at the back but hopefully Wenger calls upon Isacc Hayden who I think can do a good job against the lesser sides.

I'm happy with Welbeck though we paid 4 or 5m too much for him but thats what happens when you're English and their's **** all alternatives out there. Hopefully he can continue to develop into the CF role which is where he played best for United last season (9 goals in 15 games) and even if he doesn't take control I still think he is better option than the likes of Remy who would have taken up a non home grown spot and wouldn't get along with our English crop as well as Welbeck does. Also it appears that he was very keen to join us which is a major plus for me. I think what Henry says in the video below sums up what Welbeck needs to do if he going to lead our line for the next 5 years.

Now more importantly Wenger needs to scrap this ****ing 4-1-4-1 idea as not going to get the best out of better players. If we go back to 4-2-3-1 our performances should improve ten fold and its only the way we're going to challenge this season.

Wojciech
Debuchy-Mertesacker-Kos-Gibbs
Chambers-Ramsey
Alexis-Ozil-Ox
Welbeck

This side will be our best line up until Walcott returns which when he does replace Alexis with Ox with Walcott occupying the right wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty disappointed considering how quickly we started the window off. Still some glaring deficiencies that could be exposed, particularly considering Arsenal's history of injuries.
Welbeck has a bit of selfishness about him (thankfully not as much as Sturridge), but that might not be a bad thing to have a guy who will actually pull the trigger, instead of trying to pass it into the net or sideways.

How long til Walcotts back btw?

I've heard mid-late September, but I'd expect him to be eased in through sub appearances, so a more realistic chance of seeing him in the starting line-up would be October/November.

He did his ACL in February, so it's only been 6 months. The recovery time usually seems less than on AFL, but I wouldn't be expecting much out of him until the new year at least.

I'm not sure if they're taking the piss but RedCafe are furious with this transfer and predict him to become England's best striker under Wenger.

He hasn't really had a sustained run as the striker, the majority of his career he's played second fiddle to Rooney and then RvP.

If we give him a consistent run, with the right players and shape around him, then who knows.

Now more importantly Wenger needs to scrap this ******* 4-1-4-1 idea as not going to get the best out of better players. If we go back to 4-2-3-1 our performances should improve ten fold and its only the way we're going to challenge this season.

Wojciech
Debuchy-Mertesacker-Kos-Gibbs
Chambers-Ramsey
Alexis-Ozil-Ox
Welbeck

This side will be our best line up until Walcott returns which when he does replace Alexis with Ox with Walcott occupying the right wing.

This!!!!!

The 4-1-4-1 is just all around horrible. We need the stability that having Ramsey and Flamini/Arteta bring in the middle of the park.

So here is how I'd group our official squad for this season ...

Goalkeepers
#1 Wojciech Szczesny
#13 David Ospina
#26 Emiliano Martinez

Centre Backs
#4 Per Mertesacker
#6 Laurent Koscielny
#21 Calum Chambers
#42 Isaac Hayden

Full Backs
#2 Mathieu Debuchy
#3 Kieran Gibbs