Ups and Downs of loving the Wonderful Magpies...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by knuckles
Wrong. 96-97 was a legacy of the coach who was supposed to be a coach forever - Matthews. 98 was his own, and in '99 he fell on his sword the whole year by leaving more experienced, but no future, players in the seconds, and trying young players all year. If he was greedy enough, he could have mustered enough wins to finish 12-14.....nobody would have won with this finish. Shaw's support network was so bad that even MM admitted so by ONLY joining if Ed was in charge and some changes were made. Shaw had faults, and wasn't the coach you would hope for, but calling those years the Shaw years is too simplistic.
Spot on Knuckles. Exactly what I've been saying for years.

FWIW I think Shaw was better than history will judge him or has judged him. Early on he was attacking and we were doing well. When we lost he had no counter plan and lacked cattle to do anything anyway. In the end he lost all confidence and was a shell of his playing self. He was no super coach but he wasn't the worst we ever had either.

Ups.

Being there for these games.

-1990 Grand Final. Most amazing feeling seeing the joy in the eyes of Collingwood supporters after the game.

-1995 Anzac Day game. Most dramatic game I've ever been to. Driving past and seeing a massive queue made me sense this game was something special.

-2002 QF. Because of our suffering in the 90's this was so special. The trip over added to it and that weekend was one of the best I've experienced.

Downs.

-1999 Last Game, Victoria Park. The lowest point in the history of our football club.

I was raised on being taken to the football by my Grandfather (who lives in Clifton Hill) and walking over the footbridge. The last walk was like walking out of school for the last day. It was like a part of your life had just died.

Even going back to Victoria Park is sad as the state it's in. Training Grand Final Thursday reminded me of some great times at Victoria Park.

UPS

Nathan Buckley
Our re-emergence as a power
Winning regularly
Opposition supporters slowly becoming jealous again
Beating Essendon last year
Beating Port (which in turn stuffed up Essendon - bonus!)
Mick Malthouse
Atmosphere at ALL our games - I've been to Freo v Melbourne at the G - ghost town!
FTO
Our supporters
Black and White stripes
Eddie
All victories

DOWNS

Tony Shaw
The Rose Administration
No more Vic Park games (no baked potatoes from under the Sherrin stand:( )
Lee Walkers knees
Darren Millane's death
Nick Davis (SCUM!)
FTO Closing down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back