US Holiday

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was fortunate to get through LAX very quickly the whole time I was there, and we used LAX as our hub as most do. I was there 5 times.

Arriving over though, we waited in line about 10 minutes at Immigration and 15 minutes at the next security point and we were out in the street.

I expected it to be as you found it. Lengthy and testy.

Cool thnks Hoggy, that is pretty much the exact trip I'm off on in 9 days!

LA to San Fran
San Fran to Seattle (day trip up to Vancouver)
Seattle to Vegas
Vegas to LA.

Those photos are awesome.:thumbsu:

Cool thnks Hoggy, that is pretty much the exact trip I'm off on in 9 days!

LA to San Fran
San Fran to Seattle (day trip up to Vancouver)
Seattle to Vegas
Vegas to LA.

Those photos are awesome.:thumbsu:

Looking at those photos reminds me of my first trip to the states - in 1982 yes i am old ! In fact it was the last time the dollar was parity .

You will have a geat time and i am sure it will only whet your apetite for more of the USA. So many other great places to see. Hope you have a great trip.

While the thread is on a photo sharing trend, I'll add a handful more of my favourites:

155544_10150352249885304_726440303_16276357_7317836_n.jpg

162929_10150352250200304_726440303_16276372_4698036_n.jpg

DC

63463_10150352298855304_726440303_16277091_8361067_n.jpg

NYC

67861_10150353093250304_726440303_16289058_7433717_n.jpg

BOSTON

Got a Bort keyring in here

haha yes I got one too :D

20134_250866391503_650526503_3739270_5183954_n.jpg

While we're at it I'll post some pics

Miller brewing factory in Milwaukee

20134_251755736503_650526503_3742790_6404152_n.jpg

On some random street in small town Green Bay, WI. Loved this house, it just screamed American middle class to me.

20134_251755636503_650526503_3742780_2152661_n.jpg

Fonzies jacket at the Smithsonian

20134_251900786503_650526503_3743303_6808478_n.jpg

The Rocky steps in Philadelphia

20134_251900896503_650526503_3743317_644053_n.jpg

Wow, looks like part 1 of our trip won't be happening. Was flying to Christchurch on Thursday for my Grandmothers 80th before going to the US on the 1st March. Massive earthquake. Hope this isn't a sign...

Can you use a Commonwealth Bank debit card (Mastercard) to book accomodation in the US over the net without any fees or would it be better to get one of those travel cards with US$ and use it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Travel cards are just like a key card for use at an ATM or to swipe instore. I haven't seen one you can use like a credit card to avoid fees.

You can use a debit card to purchase anything overseas, but you will get an international transaction fee if you deal directly with American hotels and attractions.

If you do it through expedia.com.au, the quote is in AU dollars and I don't think you get an extra transaction fee showing on your statement.

Landed at lax this morning on v Australia, we parked at the arse end of the airport and had to catch a bus to the Tom Bradley terminal. Lax is huge, I had no idea! Took forever to clear customs and just as we were about to get to the front of the line we were given priority due to our tired kids! Nothing around the lax airports, off to San Fran in the morning, had a twinky and dr pepper is still foul!

Landed at lax this morning on v Australia, we parked at the arse end of the airport and had to catch a bus to the Tom Bradley terminal. Lax is huge, I had no idea! Took forever to clear customs and just as we were about to get to the front of the line we were given priority due to our tired kids! Nothing around the lax airports, off to San Fran in the morning, had a twinky and dr pepper is still foul!

The essential 'america' moment. People on our bus to the Hoover Dam went nuts when they realised we were about to try our first ever twinky.

The essential 'america' moment. People on our bus to the Hoover Dam went nuts when they realised we were about to try our first ever twinky.

:D

For me it was a slice of New York pizza, a pretzel (meh), a Gray's Papaya hot dog, Ben & Jerry's and a Bacon & Egg Biscuit at McDonalds. I ate at Denny's (again meh) and Wendy's and bought nuts from a NYC street cart.

Oh and I went into one of those donut shops in Hollywood with Peanut Butter donuts and heaps of other varieties.

If you try everything over there that we don't have over here, you will stack on 20kgs and only a small percentage would be worth the effort.

Oh yeah, in Memphis I had a fillet burger, where there was no bun, just two fillets with bacon and cheese between them. No mistake, that was the actual advertised item.

:D

For me it was a slice of New York pizza, a pretzel (meh), a Gray's Papaya hot dog, Ben & Jerry's and a Bacon & Egg Biscuit at McDonalds. I ate at Denny's (again meh) and Wendy's and bought nuts from a NYC street cart.

Oh and I went into one of those donut shops in Hollywood with Peanut Butter donuts and heaps of other varieties.

If you try everything over there that we don't have over here, you will stack on 20kgs and only a small percentage would be worth the effort.

Oh yeah, in Memphis I had a fillet burger, where there was no bun, just two fillets with bacon and cheese between them. No mistake, that was the actual advertised item.

:thumbsu:

Yep, I had to hold back. Could've easily put on a stack of weight but I was lucky in that Ding Dongs and Twinkies just weren't that great IMO. Grape soda on the other hand, holy shit I loved that! Nathan's Famous Chilli Cheese dog and cheese fries went down a treat.

In Memphis I went nuts on BBQ ribs and BBQ nachos.

NYC - Taco Bell, Hot Dogs and Subway; we were on the run so much and hated the waits for shitty restaurants in and around Times Square so often it was fast food late at night after a show etc. Taco Bell was the worst, so nasty that I loved it.

Off to San Fran this morning, already have a truckload of $1 notes clogging the wallet!

No, the $1 notes are a necessary evil. Can not have enough of them for tipping purposes. Make sure you perfect the rolled up wad of ones and the palming off of same on conjunction with walking away. Great for taxis, shuttles, luggage handlers etc.

The only issue I had with them is thinking I had shitloads of cash in my wallet when I went to a restaurant, only to realise I had $31 worth of ones.

No, the $1 notes are a necessary evil. Can not have enough of them for tipping purposes. Make sure you perfect the rolled up wad of ones and the palming off of same on conjunction with walking away. Great for taxis, shuttles, luggage handlers etc.

The only issue I had with them is thinking I had shitloads of cash in my wallet when I went to a restaurant, only to realise I had $31 worth of ones.

I have 2 sections in my wallet so I had the 1's in one section and the larger notes in the other.

You going to vegas?

I hope your imagination will allow you to use them wisely?:D

Yeah off to Vegas later in the trip. San Fran is such a pretty city, could easily live here! Went for a run along the wharf towards the bay bridge, great city

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back