Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

I am going to the Staples Centre in March for the Lakers v Hawks game. I don't think I will have time to do a tour while I am there.
Don't forget to take your passport to Staples Center of you want a beer. It was the only place we went to (NY, LA and LV) that didn't accept my drivers licence. Luckily at the 3rd bar I went to in the stadium I got a trainee who poured me a few beers!

Am hoping to go over to New York for the US Open this year in August/September for 2-3 weeks. Will be with 4 mates... have only done a bit of brief research at this stage. Have found flights about 1.3-5k return from Melb-NY, is that a decent price?

Also, has anyone used airbnb? What have your experiences been like?

The bartenders/waiters will be impressed with your ID though, if you have one of the new Victoria licenses.

lol. in 2011 i used my vic licence at the 711 near disneyland. the guy behind the counter got real excited. apparently hes half blind and can barely read the birthdates so he loved the big one on the back.

in 2012 i used my passport everywhere after my licence got turned down at every bar in staples center.

Out of those i went to LA and Vegas and i still had problems mmm ah well!

Same! Also went to San Fran, Miami, Orlando, Boston and New York over December and January and never once had to pull out my passport for drinks.

Am hoping to go over to New York for the US Open this year in August/September for 2-3 weeks. Will be with 4 mates... have only done a bit of brief research at this stage. Have found flights about 1.3-5k return from Melb-NY, is that a decent price?

Also, has anyone used airbnb? What have your experiences been like?

We fly into NYC next week for a 10 night stay using this. So far so good. Great price in a great area, great communication with the guy's place we'll be staying at.

I'll update next week though on whether the place actually exists!

I was travelling all over (LA, LV, NY and a dozen places between NOLA and DC) in the US late 2011 and barely got carded anywhere - must be looking my age :(
Of the places that did they were all OK with drivers licence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We fly into NYC next week for a 10 night stay using this. So far so good. Great price in a great area, great communication with the guy's place we'll be staying at.

I'll update next week though on whether the place actually exists!

My experiences with AirBnb in NYC has been exceptional, a far cheaper and better option than a hotel. If your on a budget I'd recommend just getting a room, it's NYC so your not going to spend any time in the place other than to sleep and the person who owns the place will make themselves as scarce as you want them to be.

Out of those I've been to Austin and NO.

Depending on what your after, Austin has a more indie/rock-oriented live music vibe (and general Texan hospitality coupled with the liberalness of a college city) while NO is flat out party-town. Both worth visiting IMO, I'd pick Austin at a stretch.

Random question of mine #2976

Does walking and eating equal itself out over a long holiday.
That is, American food being as it is, could I quiet easily get away with a lot of walking as planned and not put on much weight.

That is, American food being as it is, could I quiet easily get away with a lot of walking as planned and not put on much weight.

Depends on what you eat really. I love ribs, chips burgers etc so while I was over there for 6 weeks, I still put on about 4kgs because I was eating alot. My compromise in the end was to have a healthy breakfast most of the time. But there are healthy options over there if you want them

Yeah look, the food is bad but not that bad.

You can always find the healthy opinion by going to a few super markets or farmer markets and making your own. That's what we ended up doing, getting some salads, rolls, cold meats and fruit and taking a bit longer to make our meals rather than setting for the food mall or the fast food option. Plus, the perception from 'super size' has really changed over the past 6 or 7 years. No longer do you only have the option of buying a gallon of soft drink and a kilo of fries and oil.

Plus, you always have the option of adding in a work out in the morning or evening if where you are staying has that.

I am what many would call a health freak. I plan out my meals go to the gym 5 times a week, footy training or cardio another couple of times a week.

In the US, you can't let any thing get in your way though, you need to try everything and experiment with their foods. I managed to still get in the gym every couple of days, except in NY, but I still put on 8kg's over there. Hiring a car is relatively cheap and well worth it, and then public transport is also much better than ours, as well as cabs being cheaper, so there really isn't too much walking unless you go out of your way for it.

Just enjoy it. You'll have plenty of time when you get back to get back into shape!

Remember to check this place out:

http://doughnutplant.com/

And of course - this place and ask for grilled onions:

http://www.in-n-out.com/

Oh and best mexican we had in San Fran:

http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/la-taqueria-san-francisco-2

And whilst showing a page from Yelp. We found this to be much more reliable than the travel pages like traveladvisor as they were reviews by locals, who know what the food should be like instead of those who just travel around.

If you haven't realised yet, our holiday was very food orientated lol.

P.S - I LOVE FOOD!!!!

Also you want excellent authentic Mexican? Try Wooster st in Soho near Adidas Orignals. Best Mexican st food I've ever had.

Also best Mexican we had in NY was Dos Caminos on third avenue!

Remove this Banner Ad

Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back