Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

I will be heading over in Jan/Feb for a wedding for 3 weeks. I spent 3 months travelling around the states a few years ago. Want to head back to the places I loved. Going for "holiday".

2 Nights Chicago (Including Bucks Party)
3 Nights Kenosha/Wisconsin (Wedding)
5 Nights Nashville
5 Nights Austin
I have 3/4 nights spare thinking of:
3 nights New Orleans for Mardi Gras for the last weekend (already have a deposit for a hostel...$140 a night in a dorm!) But I am having doubts as I have back issues won't be able to stand and handle crowds for 3 days. Anyone been?

or

Phoenix and stay in Tempe and hit up the college scene and Scottsdale with a more relaxing last few days.

I am also waiting for the NBA fixture to be released. I am an OKC fan so if its suitable I will head to OKC and catch a game.

Thoughts?

Phoenix - not a great city. Was lively for the Super Bowl this year but wouldn't go back there.

Dallas worth doing?
My next trip I have to go through either Dallas or Los Angeles (Or San Francisco, but I probs wont do that).

If Dallas is worth doing for 1-3 days, I might pop in there on the way to Central America, if not. I guess it's LA (wouldn't mind quickly doing Disney - Probs changed since 1997)

Dallas worth doing?
My next trip I have to go through either Dallas or Los Angeles (Or San Francisco, but I probs wont do that).

If Dallas is worth doing for 1-3 days, I might pop in there on the way to Central America, if not. I guess it's LA (wouldn't mind quickly doing Disney - Probs changed since 1997)

Dallas is good for the JFK stuff. I recommend hitting up Fort Worth (roughly 30 min from Dallas) and check that out. Very old school Texas and it is a college town (TCU). Very good fun!

Phoenix - not a great city. Was lively for the Super Bowl this year but wouldn't go back there.

I have heard downtown Phoenix is a hole. I will only be venturing to Tempe and Scottsdale. Also thinking San Diego. But I like going to cities with less international tourists.

I highly recommend Tuscaloosa, Alabama for a good few nights and the college experience. About a 3-4 hour drive from Nashville. I had the best 2 nights there! No one could believe why 2 aussies would visit. $1 beers. Went to a bbq joint called Moe's Original and it turns into a bar at night. I have never seen so many beautiful women in one place. The place was packed! Met so many cool people. Even a guy called Forrest haha.

We had dinner one night and the waitresses couldn't understand a word we were saying. Even other waitresses came out to speak to us as they have never met an Aussie before.

Did you go to see Bama ?

Unfortunately I was there during the summer holidays but happened to be there for end of summer school and students were graduating. I was planning to go there this year. Was meant to fly out at end of the month but I had to change my flights to January as I have wedding in Wisconsin.

Will see a game there one day. Before I went I hated the Crimson Tide but now I appreciate them a lot more. My taxi driver there was saying you cant book any hotels on game weekend. Best bet is Air BnB.

Will see a game there one day. Before I went I hated the Crimson Tide but now I appreciate them a lot more. My taxi driver there was saying you cant book any hotels on game weekend. Best bet is Air BnB.
We had a look at going to Oxford, MS for ole miss/miss st last year and it was impossible to find any accom. That and the logistics of getting there as we were in Austin, made it unviable as an option unfortunately.

I have heard downtown Phoenix is a hole. I will only be venturing to Tempe and Scottsdale. Also thinking San Diego. But I like going to cities with less international tourists.

Yes, downtown was a hole. San Diego is a good city to visit. San Fran is one of my favourites and NewYork for just being New York and Boston is also high on my list without the tourists. Newport, Rhode Island is a great place to relax as well and only couple of hours by car from Boston.

Good college town is San Luis Obispo north of LA on the way to San Fran/Monterey/Pebble Beach.

Was lookin at going next April with a few mates. I was waiting to see what deals were on offer at this weekends Americas Travel Expo and just realised that airfares have jumped about $500 across all airlines in the last 24 hours. Cheapest now is around $1600. Anyone got info on whether their will be sales coming up soon or whether i can expect lower prices at the Expo. Cheers

Was lookin at going next April with a few mates. I was waiting to see what deals were on offer at this weekends Americas Travel Expo and just realised that airfares have jumped about $500 across all airlines in the last 24 hours. Cheapest now is around $1600. Anyone got info on whether their will be sales coming up soon or whether i can expect lower prices at the Expo. Cheers

I think Qantas have sales in October and Virgin Aust. have them in November but ask a travel agent or keep checking webjet or sky scanner for sales

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flights are booked for early next year! Now the wait for the NBA schedule to come out :drunk:
That is what I am hanging out for. It is going to be released later this week.

My last week in the US is the first week of the NBA season.

Hoping to get to the Amway Centre to watch a Magic game and get to a game at the Staples Centre in LA in our way back home.

That is what I am hanging out for. It is going to be released later this week.

My last week in the US is the first week of the NBA season.

Hoping to get to the Amway Centre to watch a Magic game and get to a game at the Staples Centre in LA in our way back home.

My first week in the US next April, is the last week of the season and really want a MSG game in New York.

My first week in the US next April, is the last week of the season and really want a MSG game in New York.

Should be plenty of empty seats as the Knicks will be in full on tank mode.

With the NBA schedule released. I will be going to Suns vs OKC in Phoenix and deciding to fly to OKC and catch a game. One is vs Washington and the other is vs Magic. Just means I will have cut short my time Austin.

The night I fly into USA is Bulls vs Warriors in Chicago.

Had a look, some great games I could possibly go to - OKC @ GSW, HOU @ GSW, also Chicago @ Clippers

Would it be hard to get tickets to these games or just more expensive?

NBA 27th of October

NHL normally starts around 10th of October
shucks, guess ill have to only do it on my return from Central America.
Though, Ill be booking so early I wont know where anyone is playing. Will have to strike gold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back