VAFA D1 new thread for 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There's no question about it...the Rovers ARE the team to beat, and I think they will cause a lot of concern for the other three teams come finals time. If the finals was on next week, this is how the first week of the finals would look like:

FIRST SEMI FINAL:
Oakleigh v Prahran

SECOND SEMI FINAL:
Old Mentonians v Hampton Rovers

*****BREAKING NEWS*****

The D1 finals venue has been announced on 88.3 Southern FM's VAFA Sunday. All finals (first semi, second semi, preliminary final, grand final) will be played at Sandringham this year. Tom Brain will be the VAFA Executive duty officer.

Well with the top 4 sides pretty secure now, the only remaining regular season issues are

1. in what order they finish, and
2. who joins Therry in D2 next season.

The Yarra boys have done their cause no end of good with a solid win over Old Parade. Now it's just a matter of which (if either) of these sides can pinch a vital 5th win off a side above them.

Whilst I have predicted Yarra to stay in they have to play the top two sides and then B-T, whilst the Raiders play B-T, OGGs and Peninsula in the last 3 rounds. None of these sides can go up or down, so they may choose to flirt with form, or (unintentionally) take the foot off the pedal. This could be a god-send for Parade.

Interesting times ahead......

There's no question about it...the Rovers ARE the team to beat, and I think they will cause a lot of concern for the other three teams come finals time. If the finals was on next week, this is how the first week of the finals would look like:

FIRST SEMI FINAL:
Hampton Rovers v Prahran

SECOND SEMI FINAL:
Old Mentonians v Oakleigh

the rovers are travelling very nicely, running well, working nicely as a team, and some handy talls, are really helping there cause.

You can be certain that when the D1 team of the year is announced, it'll probably have some Rovers players in the side. Apart from the D1 team of the year in the Amateur Footballer, 88.3 Southern FM have announced on their VAFA Sunday show, that they will also be picking a team of the year. The full team will be announced on the VAFA Sundayedition on A Section Grand Final Day. (By the way, any news on whether or not 88.3 Southern FM, 96.5 Inner FM and 98.9 NorthWest FM going to do a joint live broadcast of the A Section Grand Final this year, like they did last year?)

And another thing...

I think it's a brilliant move by the VAFA Executive to schedule all the finals at Sandringham (my home town), because as we saw in last year's C Section Grand Final, Sandringham has a much better crowd atmosphere than Elsternwick Park. And I reckon we could see all-time attendance records being set at this year's finals, because with the Rovers' massive army of supporters as well as the supporter groups from Oakleigh, Old Mentonians and Prahran there will be standing room only, car parks closed half an hour after the start...what more could you want?

You can be certain that when the D1 team of the year is announced, it'll probably have some Rovers players in the side. Apart from the D1 team of the year in the Amateur Footballer, 88.3 Southern FM have announced on their VAFA Sunday show, that they will also be picking a team of the year. The full team will be announced on the VAFA Sundayedition on A Section Grand Final Day. (By the way, any news on whether or not 88.3 Southern FM, 96.5 Inner FM and 98.9 NorthWest FM going to do a joint live broadcast of the A Section Grand Final this year, like they did last year?)

And another thing...

I think it's a brilliant move by the VAFA Executive to schedule all the finals at Sandringham (my home town), because as we saw in last year's C Section Grand Final, Sandringham has a much better crowd atmosphere than Elsternwick Park. And I reckon we could see all-time attendance records being set at this year's finals, because with the Rovers' massive army of supporters as well as the supporter groups from Oakleigh, Old Mentonians and Prahran there will be standing room only, car parks closed half an hour after the start...what more could you want?

Can I have what you're on Jascave?
And why have you got your team playing in the 1st semi? I thought you & BH#10 would have your team playing off in the 2nd. Have you conceded that you will lose another game and aren't as good as you thought you were?
I believe you asked me to look in my own backyard BH#10? It's a good view from up here.;)
Smart move by the VAFA too. C section sides in the finals race are mostly from out the other side of town. We played a final in '03 at Chelt. Thought that may have been an option, but Sandy is great. Will give us a taste for where we'll be playing C section finals when they revert back next year hopefully.

Even though the finals match-ups won't be worked out until 5.00pm on August 25th, here's how I see the finals series gamedays:

SATURDAY 1ST SEPTEMBER:
Second Semi Final (Reserves 11.40, Seniors 2.00pm)
Trevor Barker Oval, Sandringham

SUNDAY 2ND SEPTEMBER:
First Semi Final (Reserves 11.40, Seniors 2.00pm)

SATURDAY 8TH SEPTEMBER:
Preliminary Final (Reserves 11.40, Seniors 2.00pm)

SATURDAY 15TH SEPTEMBER
Grand Final (Reserves 11.40, Seniors 2.10pm)

JC 15, The reason why I said "there will standing room only, car parks closed after the start", is the massive numbers of supporters all 4 finals teams will have this year at Sandringham, especially the Rovers and Old Mentonians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FIRST SEMI FINAL:
Hampton Rovers v Prahran

SECOND SEMI FINAL:
Old Mentonians v Oakleigh

If you're going to say Hampton are the team to beat Jase, then you should have them playing Mentone in the 2nd semi. 2 points behind Oakleigh with Oakleigh to play in Rd.18 would suggest a top 2 finish given your view.

Surprisingly, Prahran have done everything right. The next 2 weeks will tell us a bit more, but they've pretty much snuffed any chance BT had with Therry in the last round to give them the 2 point buffer should they not beat either Oakleigh or Hampton. I only say surprisingly as the word was out they they'd lost a few players and form suggested they'd tapered off a few weeks ago.

As for your comments Scribe. It would be very disappointing if sides were to "allow" Parade the opportunity to stay up. It would be an injustice to the system as they are clearly the lesser side of the 2.

As for your comments Scribe. It would be very disappointing if sides were to "allow" Parade the opportunity to stay up. It would be an injustice to the system as they are clearly the lesser side of the 2.

Mate whoever stays up out of the two sides will do so because they've played well enough (or not so badly enough) to earn the right to do so as they've won more games then the other. Not because other teams have let them.

Get over yourself you tool and just wait and see how the next 3 weeks unfold.

Regarding Prahran, I reckon they are the 'dark horse' of the finals series and I would not be surprised if they make it as far as the preliminary final, or even the grand final. After all, beware of sides that finish 3rd or 4th at the end of the home & away season,they might pull a rabbit out of the hat; Glenhuntly '94 (finished 4th won premiership), Rovers '98 (finished 3rd, won premiership), Eley Park '99 (finished 4th won premiership) are a few teams in the past that came from 3rd or 4th on the ladder at the end of the home & away season, no-one gave them a hope of pulling it off, and they ended up winning the flag. Interesting times ahead.... Oh by the way, may I point out that the finals match-ups I did was along the lines of if the finals was on next week. The Rovers would most likely finish top two but that depends on if they beat Old Geelong, Prahran and Oakleigh in that order.

PS One piece of advice. It would be a good idea to either charge up (put more batteries) or put more credit (more money) into your mobile phone in the week leading up to August 25th, because that's when mobile phones at all D1 venues around Melbourne will be going crazy with info and reports on relegation play-offs and finals match-ups.

Mate whoever stays up out of the two sides will do so because they've played well enough (or not so badly enough) to earn the right to do so as they've won more games then the other. Not because other teams have let them.

Get over yourself you tool and just wait and see how the next 3 weeks unfold.

Back in your box d*ckhead. YV are simply a better outfit and the next 3 weeks will prove that.

Regarding Prahran, I reckon they are the 'dark horse' of the finals series and I would not be surprised if they make it as far as the preliminary final, or even the grand final. After all, beware of sides that finish 3rd or 4th at the end of the home & away season,they might pull a rabbit out of the hat; Glenhuntly '94 (finished 4th won premiership), Rovers '98 (finished 3rd, won premiership), Eley Park '99 (finished 4th won premiership) are a few teams in the past that came from 3rd or 4th on the ladder at the end of the home & away season, no-one gave them a hope of pulling it off, and they ended up winning the flag. Interesting times ahead.... Oh by the way, may I point out that the finals match-ups I did was along the lines of if the finals was on next week. The Rovers would most likely finish top two but that depends on if they beat Old Geelong, Prahran and Oakleigh in that order.

PS One piece of advice. It would be a good idea to either charge up (put more batteries) or put more credit (more money) into your mobile phone in the week leading up to August 25th, because that's when mobile phones at all D1 venues around Melbourne will be going crazy with info and reports on relegation play-offs and finals match-ups.

Jase,

None of us are interested in who won finals from what position with 3 rounds to go. Tell us more about it after Round 18. Let's just focus on the now champ.

I think you'll all agree with me that the VAFA has done an outstanding job in scheduling the finals according where the finals teams are based at-for example, seeing that Oakleigh, Old Mentonians, Hampton Rovers and Prahran are based in the southern areas of Melbourne, it was a no-brainer to have the finals based at Sandringham. And I think you'll also agree with me, and I've said this before, that Sandringham has a far better crowd atmosphere than Elsternwick Park. The only times EP comes alive is on A Section Grand Final Day. So to the VAFA, I give them a 10/10 rating-well done VAFA!!!! Maybe the AFL could learn a thing or two from the VAFA about how to run a football competition properly.

Now that we know the four teams that will play off for September-Oakleigh, Old Mentonians, Hampton Rovers, Prahran (the only query is what order will they finish up by the end of Round 18) who's going to be premiers at 5.00pm on Saturday, 15th September at Sandringham?

I think you'll all agree with me that the VAFA has done an outstanding job in scheduling the finals according where the finals teams are based at-for example, seeing that Oakleigh, Old Mentonians, Hampton Rovers and Prahran are based in the southern areas of Melbourne, it was a no-brainer to have the finals based at Sandringham. And I think you'll also agree with me, and I've said this before, that Sandringham has a far better crowd atmosphere than Elsternwick Park. The only times EP comes alive is on A Section Grand Final Day. So to the VAFA, I give them a 10/10 rating-well done VAFA!!!! Maybe the AFL could learn a thing or two from the VAFA about how to run a football competition properly.

Now that we know the four teams that will play off for September-Oakleigh, Old Mentonians, Hampton Rovers, Prahran (the only query is what order will they finish up by the end of Round 18) who's going to be premiers at 5.00pm on Saturday, 15th September at Sandringham?

why dont you tell us what you really think jase??

i agree... i love playing on trevor barker!!!!!!!!!!! deep voices get you everywhere!!

go panther!!

I'll wait until we know the finals match-ups (ie who's playing whom, which final the teams will be playing) on Sunday August 26th before making a prediction on the D1 flag, because it's still far too early to predict a premiership winner at this stage.

Here's the run home for the teams that are in the D1 finals:

OAKLEIGH

Round 16 Prahran*
Round 17 Yarra Valley
Round 18 Hampton Rovers*

OLD MENTONIANS

Round 16 Yarra Valley
Round 17 Bulleen Templestowe
Round 18 Peninsula

HAMPTON ROVERS

Round 16 Old Geelong
Round 17 Prahran*
Round 18 Oakleigh*

PRAHRAN

Round 16 Oakleigh*
Round 17 Hampton Rovers*
Round 18 Therry Penola

* Indicates D1 finals participant

of course there will be standing room only at sandy beach oval, the grandstand only holds about 30 ppl. Jascave, you need to get a life, im thinking your becoming a VAFA Nerd!!! As for the D1 VAFA represenative for the finals, couldn't they off got a bigger ********??

At least the VAFA selected an excellent venue for the D1 finals in Sandringham. After all, what was the point in asking the teams that is based in the southern areas of Melbourne to go to Preston, when Sandringham could do an even better job in hosting the D1 finals?

I'll wait until we know the finals match-ups (ie who's playing whom, which final the teams will be playing) on Sunday August 26th before making a prediction on the D1 flag, because it's still far too early to predict a premiership winner at this stage.

Here's the run home for the teams that are in the D1 finals:

OAKLEIGH

Round 16 Prahran*
Round 17 Yarra Valley
Round 18 Hampton Rovers*

OLD MENTONIANS

Round 16 Yarra Valley
Round 17 Bulleen Templestowe
Round 18 Peninsula

HAMPTON ROVERS

Round 16 Old Geelong
Round 17 Prahran*
Round 18 Oakleigh*

PRAHRAN

Round 16 Oakleigh
Round 17 Hampton Rovers*
Round 18 Therry Penola

* Indicates D1 finals participant

so if OM win 2 of their next 3 they're guaranteed top 2, with the 'friendliest' of the 4 runs home its a big possibility.
meaning if oakleigh and hampton get through the next 2 rounds unscathed then Rd 18 will be massive.....personally i wouldnt mind if they bashed and crashed each other for the full 4 quarters :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back