VAFA vs EFL

Remove this Banner Ad

what are peoples thoughts on what the vafa side would look like

They'll be wearing a dark blue jumper with a Big V on the front, dark blue socks and white shorts. They'll be skinnier, younger and less advanced in their pre-season than their opponents, but probably a bit quicker across the ground.

Other than that, I have no idea. :p

Perhaps start with the squad for the NSWAFL game last July as the press announcement said that was the team which would represent the state. ;)

No Spriggs? why not, does this mean he's not a definite at OB? Where's Kent Kingsley and Rory Hilton? Hilton is a freak show, the VAFA brass have their heads in their arse if they dont pick him. Luke Williams is also a recent AFL boy, 51 senior games I believe.

Both really strong squads. Should be a cracker even if it is a blowout.

No point even having Peter McGettigan in the squad though. The kid goes to water in big games. Did nothing in the under 23 game against S.A & went missing in the A section finals.

Mark Bolton???? The guy can hardly see past his own nose and is well past it. Would be a joke if he got a game.

Both really strong squads. Should be a cracker even if it is a blowout.

No point even having Peter McGettigan in the squad though. The kid goes to water in big games. Did nothing in the under 23 game against S.A & went missing in the A section finals.

Mark Bolton???? The guy can hardly see past his own nose and is well past it. Would be a joke if he got a game.

Would have thought Cam McLaren may have a got a spot in the squad.
I would think he would be in the Top 10 forwards in the Ammos considering he won the B grage goal kicking last year.
He also is not restricted to playing just FF. Could easily play a flank or pocket.
Still looks like a quality list!

It would be nice if some of these squad members had actually played a game as a registered VAFA player!!!!

Yeah - I agree to some extent.

Hopefully both comps will permit an extended bench, say 6 or 8, so more guys can have a run. Particularly as it's being held during pre-season/practice match phase.

Don't forget though that this is supposed to be a big fundraiser for the bushfire appeal, and therefore the lure of those new ex-AFL additions may drag a few more EFL locals down for a peep, at whatever the entry fee is, as opposed to the quality players we know are homegrown through the VAFA.

A good balance between the recent additions to the comp. and the loyal VAFA diehards would be great.

The VAFA side would beat a VFL rep side, let alone the EFL. Other names that could play are Rayden Tallis, Kent Kingsley, Josh Mahoney, Steven Green, Luke Brennan, Stewart Loewe, David Loats, Nathan Brown, David Spriggs, Tony Brown, Steve Lawrence, Craig McCrae, Brad Scott to name a few.

When playing at their peak - for sure. However we all agree none of those guys are anywhere near their best condition/form now, for obvious reasons. That's why it'd be great to have as many non-AFL guys representation the VAFA as possible.

Brian - is Brad Scott seriously going to wear the SKOB jumper this season?

Word about was James Clement and John Barker could play for NOBSPC too, and "Banger" Harvey for OH, but the reality is far more remote than that in my view.

Whilst the names on our list are more recognisable (and have probably had more successful high-level careers) than the EFL crew, I'd still expect the Eastern boys to get up comfortably in this one.

When playing at their peak - for sure. However we all agree none of those guys are anywhere near their best condition/form now, for obvious reasons. That's why it'd be great to have as many non-AFL guys representation the VAFA as possible.

Brian - is Brad Scott seriously going to wear the SKOB jumper this season?

Word about was James Clement and John Barker could play for NOBSPC too, and "Banger" Harvey for OH, but the reality is far more remote than that in my view.

Whilst the names on our list are more recognisable (and have probably had more successful high-level careers) than the EFL crew, I'd still expect the Eastern boys to get up comfortably in this one.

James Clement was set to play for NOBS this year but has had to pull the pin for personal reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be nice if some of these squad members had actually played a game as a registered VAFA player!!!!

Couldnt agree any more. It should be the team of the year not just a whos who of ex afl and past performances that count. Ben Corin wont get a game in de la salles twos this year and he is in the squad. HA

Agree. Cannot believe that players that have yet to play a game for their clubs are eligible....want to see emerging talent not just the profile names

Why are you guys surprised, this happens year in year out....this is the biggest pissing contest EVER as far as the men from HQ are concerned, forget the charity side of things....they are not going to risk losing with a couple of no-namers....no, they would much rather win on paper than on the field....

2008 TEAMS OF THE YEAR

A SECTION

B Evan Byrne (OI) Andrew Bowen (OX), Richard Eva (OS)

HB Nick Serafini (OX), Nick Stone (Coll), Andrew Baxter (Coll)

C Sam Anstey (SBMT), Damian Adkins (Coll), Aaron Shields (DLS)

HF Andrew McGuinness (OB), Jack Watts (UBLU), Tim Clarke (OX)

F Adam Houlihan (OS), Fergus Watts (Coll), Luke Wintle (SBMT)

Fol Hayden Heta (OI), Mark Patterson (UBLU), Nick Ries (Coll)

Interchanger: Peter McGettigan (SBMT), David Lowe (DLS), Jono Dixon (Coll), Jon Perrett (OB)

B SECTION

B Biggs(OE) Clifton(OE) O’Sullivan(STB)

HB Baldwin (OCar) Roach(STB) B Voss(OH)

C Freemantle (OCar) T Biggs(OE) M Bortolotto(MAR)

HF Dowd(StK) Skurrie(OE) J Bortolotto(MAR)

F MacLaren(MAR) Condos(OE) Potter(STB)

Ruck Baddeley(OE)
RR Rowe (OCar)
Rov Brown(OH)

Inter Considine (MAR), Carboni (CAUL), Tallis (OCAM), Morrison(OM)

Can i at least drink a green can at this game. Also what happened to the proposal of grog after half time. Is this still being considered by the vafa?

Do the Ammos's even have a team of the year?? From what i can see the team of the year provided in the record is just a list of the various sections scribes favourite players slotted into random positions... Hardly a proper team of the year....

For anyone interested, the game will be broadcast on 98.1FM from 2:00pm on Sunday - coverage actually starts at 12pm with the EFL vs YVMDFL Colts game, but coverage of the big game will be from 2pm...

The VAFA defeated the EFL 13.14 to 12.14 in a high standard game at Ringwood today. Possibly one of the best wins the VAFA had in rep footy over a long period of time.

Sounds like the B Section comp is going to be almost an extended A Section after today rep game. The B Section boys lead the way for the VAFA...
AMMOS HOME IN BUSHFIRE APPEAL THRILLER

The VAFA have downed the Eastern Football League by 6 points today thanks to a Matty Robbins "specky" with 10 secs left on the clock. The VAFA were victorious 13.14 (92) to 12.14 (86)

With scores locked at 86 a piece, Matty Robbins took mark of the day 15 metres out to secure a VAFA win in this historic match. VAFA correspondent Max McGraw will give his full run-down of the match tomorrow.

VAFA Best: Ben Dowd (CFA Medallist), Andrew Bowen, Brett Voss, Brendan Iezzi, Tom Simpson, Hayden Heta

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA vs EFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back