Vale Jim Stynes, 1966-2012 - A champion/hero - Statue commissioned for MCG Avenue of Legends

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't help but have a huge amount of respect and admiration for the work that Jim did with the Demons and the courage with which he battled his illness for so long. Rest in peace, Jim. You will be missed.

Footy Show Opening Tribute (full extended version to come)

[youtube]0fvR-vHBLPo[/youtube]

The loss of Jim is a tragedy. But is interesting to have watched Garry Lyon start to grow up as Jim has unfortunately declined. Garry has taken responsibility whereas he seemed to either decline it or more brutally to shirk it. The last few months he has really stepped up - the new coach and new regime are compelling evidence of a change of heart.

I had a little to do with him in junior football and he gave off the feelings of being self-obsessed and not the least bit interested in others. The very antithesis it would seem of Jim.

So Jim has worked another miracle. He has made Garry Lyon grow up.

Well done again Jim.

Just joined (which was an ordeal!) to say that Jim Stynes was a hero and a very important man. He was the embodiment of the links between our country and Australia, an inspiration and example to all immigrants of how get stuck in, an example to young players how much you have to commit to play at the top level, a dedicated family man, loyal to his clubs and respectful to what the jerseys he wore (Ballyboden, Dublin, Demons, Ireland, Australia) represented, faced cancer with a draw-dropping level of discipline and strength and was a hugely succesful philanthropist whi made a real difference in those kids lives.

An epic life, lived in the public eye. I didn't even mention his awards.

Half the people I know in Ireland are trying to find ways to see the state funeral live.

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

For Jimma.

Will never forget when he picked me at a junior clinic in about 1997 to mark a ball that he booted in the air. i dropped the ball (if you caught it, you got to keep it...he let me keep it anyway.) RIP Big Jim. PS: Anyone remember or have any footage of The Hey Jimmy! AFL Variety Hour which aired on SBS in the early 2000's? It only had a few episodes from memory.

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

For Jimma.

I was going to get one as well, but cant get to the G to try it on and figure out Guernsey I am. Its a shame it has that god awful energy watch logo on the back.

The club should make up a memorial Jim Stynes guernsey to honour him. (without the energy watch logo).

Did you order that online?

How long did it take to arrive?

I've been thinking about splashing out

Ordered it Tuesday, got here yesterday. So not long at all.

I found an excerpt from his book, Whatever it Takes, that goes like this, which I reckon take on a far greater meaning than when it was written, in the early 90s...

They said "You'll never make it."
And they thought that they were right.
But I kept on plodding onward
Because I hoped I might.
They shook their heads in wonder
That I lacked the sense to quit
But I held my chin up higher
And I didn't mind a bit.
They said "You'll never make it."
As the problems multiplied
But I had to make an effort
And to know at least I tried.
So I dug my heels in deeper
Though sometimes my spirits lagged.
And I shouldered what was lightest
And the rest I sort of dragged
And I found to my amazement
At the ending of the day
That what they said I couldn't
I had managed anyway.
It only took these little words
Lord help me and I rid
Myself of doubts, and all they said I'd never do - I did.

:heart: You gotta love the words of this kind gentleman. I'm definitely going to his funeral on Tuesday. R.I.P Jimmy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This man will never be forgotten - if Australian Rules could have its own patron saint it would be Big Jim! RIP Jim, content that your positive influence has spread far and wide and your legacy will live on forever and a day. Very sad times for so many, but, your family, friends, and all those who knew you and knew of you, will draw inspiration from you and reflect on a life that was centred on courage and selflessness.

I have stayed away from BF this week. It's fair to say that Tuesday's news hit me pretty hard.

I have started up a Facebook page and invited as many MFC supporters to the footy for round one as possible. I have called it 'Have a Beer at the G for Jimmy'. What is the one thing that Jimmy asked of all the Melbourne faithful?? Get to the MCG and support the boys.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/397153320313157/

Get as many people to round one as possible. It's what Jimmy would have wanted.

1991 was my first year of football so I did grow up idolising him as a player and I hope what he did for the game isn't lost in his other life as a great human being. For those who grew up in my era and older that's when we first fell in love with him. His work ethic, courage of his convictions, the passion for the game.

He took on a game foreign to him, in a country on the other side of the world and became a a champion player, Brownlow medallist, record games holder, Hall of Famer and more - paving the way for players non traditional football backgrounds to be given a chance to shine from the Irish boys, to Nic Nat to our new rugby converts.

It allowed him to make the difference he wanted to make and did 1000 times over!

It was the start of his story

I imagine this would be our equivalent of losing Archer or Schimmelbusch.

I extend my sincere condolences to all Dees fans.

A great loss to football.

Guys, forgive me for intruding, but I was just wondering if anyone knows why the state funeral will be at St Paul's, when Jim was a RomanCatholic.

I believe state funerals are always at st pauls

Definitely not the case. I suspect it's because people will also be congregating at Fed Square, across the road. 3AW's breakfast show were pondering this question this morning and couldn't get a clear answer. At the end of the day it won't matter.....

What are the chances of getting into St Paul's tomorrow, will either be alone or with my brother. Starts at 11, how early does one have to get there to get into the Cathedral (also happy to watch from Fed Square)

I believe the club was allocated 200 tickets for the church tomorrow. Unless you have one of those I'd say you'd be watching from outside.

I was told that church is only for friends and family and those directly associated with the club. Makes sense too. In just gonna watch from home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vale Jim Stynes, 1966-2012 - A champion/hero - Statue commissioned for MCG Avenue of Legends

Remove this Banner Ad

Back