News Vale John Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

A true Bullgod for all of us supporters.

A humble giant of the club who provided all of us supporters with a sense of dignity and honour through our generation defining success in 2016.

Wishing his family comfort and support from us the humble supporters of the club he represented so proudly for many years.

Vale for a club legend and a genuine gentleman that makes us Bulldogs supporters proud

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Although these cards were issued just before my time, when I started collecting seriously in later years, this Mobil set were some early additions. John Schultz executing a drop kick:
images - 2024-09-01T171303.357.jpeg

And for anyone wondering if he always smiled, yes he did!
images - 2024-09-01T171010.038.jpeg images - 2024-09-01T171047.599.jpeg images - 2024-09-01T171102.255.jpeg images - 2024-09-01T171119.030.jpeg images - 2024-09-01T171330.529.jpeg images - 2024-09-01T171343.436.jpeg

(I've got some b&w action shots from his career, just need to find them to post them.)

John was my father’s best mate and surfing buddy. I was born in 1960 the year he won the Brownlow and our families shared many wonderful times over many years at Balnarring, Shoreham, Torquay, Pt Leo, Byron Bay and home. Can still clearly remember him limping around the house after matches.

John was my football idol and had a huge influence on me with his gentle manner and character. I based the way I played the game on his example and always remember him just having a grin at the pretend tough guys who tried to rough him up occasionally😊.
Was so glad he got to present the Premiership cup to the Bulldogs.

Still have a S.A. footy jumper given to John by a South Australian in the traditional jumper swap of that era when John was playing for the Big V. John gifted the jumper to Dad, in those days both he and John wore footy jumpers when surfing so it’s a bit worse for wear. Along with Dad’s Wangaratta jumper it is still a prized possession for me😊.
View attachment 2098279
Spoke to one of John and Elaine’s daughters a couple of days ago and John was in good spirits.

Passing on my condolences to all the Bulldogs fans. Hope you win the Grand Final for him😀. I’ll be barracking hard for you😀.

Rest In Peace John

Rusty

Great post, heard about his surfing over the years. Thanks Rusty.

Very sad news but remembering a life well lived. This man gave so much to our club for over 60 years.

When I was young John was the player's advocate during tribunal hearings, and I am sure his gentlemanly way assisted many players to escape suspension at the time.

I too have met John a couple of times as we have a mutual friend who works at the club, so I have met him at private functions. He was always so generous with his time and so interested in those around him. I am also lucky enough to have a photo taken with John and the 2016 premiership cup which I cherish, now even more so.

I occasionally venture through the township of Boort and always have John front of mind when doing so.

Condolences to all his family and friends. Vale

Rip Mr Schultz, had you the pleasure of meeting him you’d know he was all class in the nicest possible way.

The world needs more people like John

RIP

I hope he’s up there with EJW reminiscing about how the boys stuck it up em….

A memory,
Such sad news but lovely to read the tributes and memories so many people have of John. My dad was on one of the committees at the club during that era and collected a lot of players’ autographs, including John’s. I still have the autograph book.

RIP, John, and thank you for all you have done for our club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same same. John worked with my father at the SSB in Abbotsford and met him again when he and Robert ran the old SSW grocery and liquor store in Syndal when he lived opposite the riversdale golf club. He was always generous with his time and insightful with his football observations. A true bullgod.

Just popped in to say - I grew up in Syndal, and my Dad was a regular customer of his licensed grocery (it was one of the last places selling the 26-oz cans of beer). As a little kid, I was naturally awestruck at seeing a REAL VFL footballer, and to me he seemed an absolute giant.

John was my uncle and he was a fantastic person. He was always kind and was genuinely loved by everyone he met.

I never saw Uncle John play other than a bit a vision in the 1961 grand final, but I always imagine that he must have played like Nick Riewoldt and Mark Blicavs.

In 1991 Uncle John and Aunty Elaine delivered a menu from the Brownlow medal which was signed by all the Melbourne players, including Jimmy Stynes.

Uncle John was always very modest and he kept his Brownlow in the wardrobe but one day we asked him to bring it out and show me. You can imagine how proud I was to wear a Brownlow at 10 years of age.

At Christmas we would always talk about football and we would often discuss the tribunal given his role at the tribunal. While we didn’t always agree (Rod Grinter was innocent!) he was always respectful.

While I wasn’t a Bulldog, they were always my second team and the family was elated in 2016. Let’s hope the Dogs can do it again this year!

RIP John

You would often see John standing behind the fence at Marvel watching our games. Whenever the cameras landed on him you could always see him smiling. Which made us smile.
1725235096217.jpeg

John was my uncle and he was a fantastic person. He was always kind and was genuinely loved by everyone he met.

I never saw Uncle John play other than a bit a vision in the 1961 grand final, but I always imagine that he must have played like Nick Riewoldt and Mark Blicavs.

In 1991 Uncle John and Aunty Elaine delivered a menu from the Brownlow medal which was signed by all the Melbourne players, including Jimmy Stynes.

Uncle John was always very modest and he kept his Brownlow in the wardrobe but one day we asked him to bring it out and show me. You can imagine how proud I was to wear a Brownlow at 10 years of age.

At Christmas we would always talk about football and we would often discuss the tribunal given his role at the tribunal. While we didn’t always agree (Rod Grinter was innocent!) he was always respectful.

While I wasn’t a Bulldog, they were always my second team and the family was elated in 2016. Let’s hope the Dogs can do it again this year!

RIP John
RIP John. Condolences for your loss. Your story reminds me of the time when I was teaching and Gary Dempsey’s son brought in the 1975 Brownlow Medal for show and tell.

I'd forgotten about that clip, thanks for posting.

"Do not reply, play with your children."

I think because of the proximity to Father's Day and a few personal challenges I'm facing atm, that clip really hit home in so many ways.

I've got a (hard copy!) photo of John and I in the Marvel race from 2022, think I'll slip it into my pocket for Friday night. 🔴⚪🔵

Loving all the posts btw, both Bulldogs and others. And condolences to Fat Tony! , but especially love your post.

I'd forgotten about that clip, thanks for posting.

"Do not reply, play with your children."

I think because of the proximity to Father's Day and a few personal challenges I'm facing atm, that clip really hit home in so many ways.

I've got a (hard copy!) photo of John and I in the Marvel race from 2022, think I'll slip it into my pocket for Friday night. 🔴⚪🔵

Loving all the posts btw, both Bulldogs and others. And condolences to Fat Tony! , but especially love your post.
Hope everything is ok and whatever personal challenges you are facing atm hopefully they get better for you soon

Remove this Banner Ad

News Vale John Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back