News Vale John Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Some photos of the booklet from today's service. For anyone on FB, there's a bunch of photos of attendees - Bevo, Bob, Easton, Big Nick, Wee Georgie, Ray and Darren Baxter, Pieman, Ross Abbey, Ray Walker, and lots more. It also mentioned other Brownlow winners Ross Smith and Neil Roberts were there (Neil getting on as well).

FB_IMG_1726568485227.jpg FB_IMG_1726568527973.jpg FB_IMG_1726568538999.jpg

Some photos of the booklet from today's service. For anyone on FB, there's a bunch of photos of attendees - Bevo, Bob, Easton, Big Nick, Wee Georgie, Ray and Darren Baxter, Pieman, Ross Abbey, Ray Walker, and lots more. It also mentioned other Brownlow winners Ross Smith and Neil Roberts were there (Neil getting on as well).

View attachment 2113638View attachment 2113639View attachment 2113640
I’m sure Bernie Quinlan would have been there if well enough? Maybe he was?

I’m sure Bernie Quinlan would have been there if well enough? Maybe he was?

You're right, Bernie was in at least one of the photos too. Sorry I missed him, there were a lot. Owen Madigan and Ron McGowan as well, and ex-runner Ron Simmons, Smorgo, the list goes on. Lots of other former opponents as well, Des Tuddenham was also in a photo.

You're right, Bernie was in at least one of the photos too. Sorry I missed him, there were a lot. Owen Madigan and Ron McGowan as well, and ex-runner Ron Simmons, Smorgo, the list goes on. Lots of other former opponents as well, Des Tuddenham was also in a photo.
We are in the off season now so can get a little philosophical. You seem to have a grasp of Footscray history as well as a few others that is very deep.
Culture is an intangible thing in footy clubs but is also very real. I have recently been part of a special football club here in Geelong. It’s is old but smallish, with some of the best natural assets. But it’s the old timers who are the glue and history that help give it the good culture. They don’t accept the rubbish behaviour, but don’t throw their own away either.
John Schulz passing meant the last of the super icons from our Grand Finals era of ‘54 and ‘61 have passed. I know there are some others still with us but the Legends. He seemed like a figure that was someone to really look up to and emulate. Was he around the club much in the 70’s 80’s and 90’s? As a club we had EJ swallowing up so much energy. I get he was Mr Football but the more I read about him, he wasn’t just a larrikin but a bit more devilish than that? We shouldn’t speak ill of the dead but the club maybe needed more Gentlemen John and less EJ Whitten? Charlie Sutton was always there I hear and was fantastic. Jackie Collin’s?
I hope Rick Kennedy and Brian Royal and Stephen Power and Steve Wallis and Brian Cordy and Terry Wallace and Terry Wheeler and Peter Gordon etc are there around the club lifting the culture continually.

We are in the off season now so can get a little philosophical. You seem to have a grasp of Footscray history as well as a few others that is very deep.
Culture is an intangible thing in footy clubs but is also very real. I have recently been part of a special football club here in Geelong. It’s is old but smallish, with some of the best natural assets. But it’s the old timers who are the glue and history that help give it the good culture. They don’t accept the rubbish behaviour, but don’t throw their own away either.
John Schulz passing meant the last of the super icons from our Grand Finals era of ‘54 and ‘61 have passed. I know there are some others still with us but the Legends. He seemed like a figure that was someone to really look up to and emulate. Was he around the club much in the 70’s 80’s and 90’s? As a club we had EJ swallowing up so much energy. I get he was Mr Football but the more I read about him, he wasn’t just a larrikin but a bit more devilish than that? We shouldn’t speak ill of the dead but the club maybe needed more Gentlemen John and less EJ Whitten? Charlie Sutton was always there I hear and was fantastic. Jackie Collin’s?
I hope Rick Kennedy and Brian Royal and Stephen Power and Steve Wallis and Brian Cordy and Terry Wallace and Terry Wheeler and Peter Gordon etc are there around the club lifting the culture continually.

John spent quite a few years on the VFL tribunal, so probably not a good luck to be heavily involved at his old club during that period.

Not club as such, but over the years I've gotten into lifts or walked up and down stairwells at Docklands alongside Choco, Rick Kennedy, Wallis, Ryan Hargrave and others.
Had a good chat to Ross Abbey (had his father Angus with him) when they ventured into what turned our to be the wrong seats in front of us one day a few years back.

EJ was a big personality who usually dominated any place he attended. Due to his commitments with Adidas and 3GL for many years, he wasn't a regular at the club in the 70s and 80s either. They interviewed him during the failed 'merger' in 89, but there were many other ex-players more involved than he was at that stage. He was a convenient high-profile go-to though, when he appeared at WO at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Vale John Schultz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back