Vale John Todd

Remove this Banner Ad

May 14, 2011
And I'm feeling so boohemian like you.
AFL Club
West Coast
Thought it would be apt to wish condolences to the family and friends of John Todd.

Former head coach, WA and Swan Districts legend.

99fb1f9b3300fbc3f728aeddc784feaa.jpg

Won a Sandover in his rookie season at 17, did his knee at 18 and was never the same player from reports.

6 X WAFL premiership coach

AFL, WAFL, South Fremantle and Swan Districts Hall of Famer

Just some of his accolades

Won a Sandover in his rookie season at 17, did his knee at 18 and was never the same player from reports.

6 X WAFL premiership coach

AFL, WAFL, South Fremantle and Swan Districts Hall of Famer

Just some of his accolades

We all complain about players losing a year of their career to a serious knee injury. It's not all that long ago that a serious knee injury was most likely the end of a career. I can't imagine too many came back from a bad knee in 1956 or whenever it was!

An iconic WA footy figure.

I am pretty emotional about this. As a South supporter growing up it was always Mal Brown and Souths v Toddy at the Swans. Had huge respect for Toddy and all he achieved. He was a true legend of WA footy and a real passionate part of our State of Origin battles. I was too young to see him play for Souths but he must have been an incredible player. He will be sorely missed.

Condolences to his family. RIP Toddy.

Not just a WAFooty legend he has every right to be a legend in the AFL HOF.
Amazing career and contribution to the game.
I have found it staggering today that just a handful of people have commented on the main board about the passing of this legend.
Todd also played a significant role at the WCE in a very tough time, no home ground, no facilities and against many odds he played a platform for others to come after.
Legend of the sport yet so few care. Very sad.

Absolute legend of WA football and the WAFL. Todd had a massive impact on footy in this state but is best known for his playing/coaching career at South Fremantle, his successful first coaching stint with Swan Districts during the early part of the 1980's and then as coach of the West Coast Eagles for two seasons in the late 1980's. He perhaps could have had a stellar playing career but unfortunately ruptured his ACL in the early part of the 1956 season which was not able to be repaired with medical techniques at the time. He still however played 131 games in his career to the end of 1964 before playing a final game in the then Foundation Day (now Western Australia Day) derby in 1966.

Todd's legacy will live on with the John Todd Medal for the WAFL's premiership coach and as a legend in the WA Football Hall of Fame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vale John Todd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back