Vale Ric Ocasek

Remove this Banner Ad

I kind of liked his dorky, insecure, rhythmic, syllabic signing style.

The Cars were a good band. Maybe not a great band - they rode a lot on their singles. I really liked Elliott Easton's guitar solos - the man was an underrated guitarist and gave The Cars that hard-rock edge that gave their music a bit more edge than many of their New Wave contemporaries had. On most of my favourite Cars songs he contributes a tasty solo, sometimes with a Robert Fripp-like style.

Top 5 favourite Cars songs:
1) Tonight She Comes
2) Touch and Go
3) Since You're Gone
4) Dangerous Type
5) Shake It Up

Honourable mentions to Moving In Stereo, Just What I Needed, It's All I Can Do, Good Times Roll, You're All I've Got Tonight, My Best Friend's Girl, Let's Go, Drive, Magic and You Might Think (no coincidence that many of these are from their debut album - my favourite Cars songs are on other albums, but they have the most 'good' songs on their debut and so I think that's their best overall).

RIP.

Ric wrote most of the cars songs .
I liked Ben Orr singing more than Ric-s tho.

He was the lead singer for some of The Cars best earlier hits in the late 70s.

I mostly remember Ric Ocasek as their lead singer in the 80s with these hits. .

The Cars were a fantastic band that I took for granted as a kid back in the 80s and I didn't fully appreciate until I got older.

He was the lead singer for some of The Cars best earlier hits in the late 70s.

I mostly remember Ric Ocasek as their lead singer in the 80s with these hits. .

The Cars were a fantastic band that I took for granted as a kid back in the 80s and I didn't fully appreciate until I got older.

Ben could of been a bigger star different time different band .
Very Good singer ...

Ben singing while Ric was falling in 💕 with he's supermodel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been getting stuck into the Cars a bit lately.

The band RIC jokey said they almost broke up 4 times during the moving in stereo album.Orr only sang in 2 tracks on that.
Only to release one more "door to door".
Before the new cars 'move like this album'.

Did nt even know they played gigs in the 2000s without Orr he passed in 2000.
No replacement. With Greg playing some bass.

I didn't have any of their albums growing up.
Tracks I never heard like .

She's all I got tonight.
Bye bye love.
Dangerous type.
Hello again.
Stranger eyes
Etc are very good tracks from them.

Last edited:
Their first album came out when I was in high school, so in the car heard them a lot. And the local AOR stations seemed to always play a double shot.
It is amazing to go back and listen to it again, just full of hits.
Their story is a classic one as well. A rock band is only a democracy/commune for a short time. The first strong songwriter usually takes over, unless another develops hit-making talent. Egos and business.

Their first album came out when I was in high school, so in the car heard them a lot. And the local AOR stations seemed to always play a double shot.
Their story is a classic one as well. A rock band is only a democracy/commune for a short time. The first strong songwriter usually takes over, unless another develops hit-making talent. Egos and business.

Ric joked they almost broke up 4 time during heart break city album.

I listened to a 40 track anthology over the weekend.

Very consistent song writing on every album they made and even though their sound got more mainstream (as most bands do) they didn't sell out and still sounded like the same band.

A very underrated band.

I listened to a 40 track anthology over the weekend.

Very consistent song writing on every album they made and even though their sound got more mainstream (as most bands do) they didn't sell out and still sounded like the same band.

A very underrated band.
Fountains of Wayne were the same, 5 studio albums - all top notch and consistent. Even their double b-sides and rarities album was excellent.

The difference being that the Cars at least got recognition on the charts, FoW barely did, which was criminal. The best FoW got was "critical acclaim".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back