Toast Vale Robert Flower (1955 - 2014, 272 games, Captain, HoF member, Legend)

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like all the journos have taking it down.. maybe it was just a rumour?

Was too young to see him in his prime, only caught his final season. Was one of our greatest and a massive loss to our club. Condolences to the Flower family.

Very sad to hear Robbie Flower passed away. Way before my time as a melbourne supporter, but at absolute legend of the club. I know he was one of the great Melbourne players, and always will be. First Stynes and now Flower, disappointing. Do it for Robbie in 2015

Terrible news.

Condolences to those here who knew him. A legend of your club, and a great guy, by all accounts

Very sad to hear this just now.

I became a fan directly after he retired and my first memory of him was getting my footy legends Demons medal from the newsagents and wondering who the hell he was. From reading/listening since some of the stories of his talent are amazing. Guys like Dipper beside themselves at the thought of having to play on the skinny winger from our crap team. Should be in the team of the century according to the older guys I've talked to and reportedly as good a bloke as there was in the game. Vale Robbie.

Was marginally too young to ever see him play, but the regard he is held in by those who went through the disasters of the 1970's and 1980's is incredible. In the time since his retirement it's clear that it wasn't just his football that people loved and that he was just a nice guy. Also while it seems crass to talk about football at a time like this it should be remembered that in 1986 Robbie was (along with Brian Dixon) one of the few ex-players who vocally wanted the MFC to continue in its original form.

A few months ago I said (half jokingly) that if Nathan Jones played out his career with us and never saw any success that we should build a statue outside AAMI Park (because it seems corporates control who goes up outside the MCG) with him, Robbie and the word LOYALTY underneath. Maybe it's time to bring the idea forward and leave an empty spot next to him for whoever eventually qualifies to occupy it.

True legend of the club, absolute champion, condolences to his family.

It's terrible - such a great player, person and amazing boss. (posted on behalf of a friend)

Shattered by this.
Was lucky enough to see many of his games at the G during the 70's and 80's.
He was a bright light for us in a very dark era and made going to the footy worthwhile.
Sat in the same section as him and his family in the members and saw him often.
Champion player and champion bloke.
We have lost an all time great.
Condolences to his family. He will be greatly missed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrible news, loved watching him when I was growing up. Probably my favourite non-Richmond player. Condolences to family and the Melbourne Football Club community.

I wonder if HairMate in Lilydale still has that signed photo of Robbie Flower on display?
Whilst I'm too young to have seen him play, when we'd get our haircuts I used to look up at that photo and smile.

Very sad to hear Robbie Flower passed away. Way before my time as a melbourne supporter, but at absolute legend of the club. I know he was one of the great Melbourne players, and always will be. First Stynes and now Flower, disappointing. Do it for Robbie in 2015

Don't forget Wight

seanwight.jpg

I met him once at a corporate function at Etihad in 2009 when Jurrah made his debut against Essendon. He was so friendly. He was hard of hearing. To stop him standing up, I actually got onto my knees as I spoke to him - and I am so glad that I did. He signed my footy just like that.

Those among us who are older will remember that incredible moment when he lead the team out onto the MCG for the Elimination Final against North. To this day I can still hear the roar. We were never going to lose that day - never.

Was a champion player and more importantly a champion person. A great tragedy not only for the M.F.C but the AFL in general . My deepest sympathies to his family.

I met him once at a corporate function at Etihad in 2009 when Jurrah made his debut against Essendon. He was so friendly. He was hard of hearing. To stop him standing up, I actually got onto my knees as I spoke to him - and I am so glad that I did. He signed my footy just like that.

Those among us who are older will remember that incredible moment when he lead the team out onto the MCG for the Elimination Final against North. To this day I can still hear the roar. We were never going to lose that day - never.

So right

A true gentleman

You'd be hard pressed to find a nicer bloke with less ego playing football

Some of the current footballers could learn from tulip

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Vale Robert Flower (1955 - 2014, 272 games, Captain, HoF member, Legend)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back