Review Varcoe, Cowan, Wojcinski, Ling needed! - 2011 Geelong Board player review

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back!

Nathan Vardy age 20
Gippsland Power u18
Ruckman
Pick number 42 in the 2009 AFL National Draft
Jumper Number 36

In a draft that yield Daniel Menzell,Mitch Duncan,Allen Christensen and Josh Cowan you may think this old fart's off the planet when I say this young ruckman could be the pick of the bunch but let me tell you he is the closest thing I've seen to John (Sam) Newman,big call I know but he's a natural talent,Huge leap, good strong hands, good kick and a football brain.
Make no mistake this kid is a gun10 year player.
Look in the dictionary for modern day footballer you should see a picture of Nathan.

The Cats were wrapped to pick him up with pick 42 and gave him time in 2010 to develop in the VFL side playing 17 games and allowing him to drift forward where he kicked multiple goals on 6 occasions.

2011 the beginning of something special started for Nathan rd 9 against Carlton,with Otto and Hawkins sharing the ruck duties Vardy played more a forward roll and was probable just happy to get the debut out of the way.

Rd 10 was to be a better test with Ottens out with the General, this was Vardy's opportunity to show what he had to offer as first ruck, this day he would be pitted against the exciting young Suns ruckman Zac Smith a giant at 205 cm and 97 kgs.Both were good for their respective teams, (I feel there is a but coming on)but Vardy's contribution in the ruck against a much bigger opponent of 10 possessions 6 Marks 20 hit outs and a goal should not be under estimated and signaled his potential.

Game 3 was to see him in his third role in as many games, with Hawkins out with a knee and Ottens back in the side he would again play forward but this time support the big fella in the ruck which he did and could have bagged 2 or 3 goals.

Rd 12 Was one of those games where Otto dominated and when Otto's doing that you don't get a look in, but Nathan continued to work hard and finished with 15 hit outs and a goal

By rd 13 the Ottens,Vardy ruck combination was starting to look like a fixture,and his two goals in this game playing forward were evidence he could possible hold down a key forward position in fact that was the game our Robert Walls declared he was worried Hawkins may not get back into this Geelong side.

Rd 14 the now famous general (soreness) struck and he was rested.

By rounds 15,16,17 the work rate was starting to diminish as the big young body started to feel the demands of AFL footy and rd 18 he was listed as out hamstring.

He returned rd 21 where he sustained a hip injury from a knock that ended his season.

I for one am looking forward to watching this kid do his stuff in the years to come.

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back!

I'll take #14, though you may need to remind me if I don't get around to it in the next few days...
No worries!

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back! (Nine senior players remain

I'll give Mitch Brown a shake there SJ if it's still there....

Thanks

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back! (Nine senior players remain

Mitch Brown - # 1

Mitch was drafted 15th overall from Sandringham in the 2008 national draft.
In 2009, Mitch suffered a broken leg that completely derailed his 2009 campaign. In 2010, he suffered further setbacks from that injury. In the middle of the season he returned to the VFL but suffered a shoulder injury that put him out for the remainder of the season.

However, it wasn’t before he had shown what he was capable of, kicking multiple goals in several of his appearances and showing great poise and ability to move up the ground effectively reading the play well.

He, to at least this casual observer, has shown some likeness to Barry Stoneham – In that the hard hitting and fast paced action of the game can be made to look effortless and graceful – sometimes completing moves on the field almost in slow motion. A great kicking style and repeated accuracy had things well lined up for 2011.

With Chris Scott pushing a “youth policy of you will get it if you earn it,” Mitch went out in the VFL and began his task of earning it. Against Williamstown, he started off with a bang in a losing side grabbing 14 disposals, 4 marks and kicking 7 goals, that he followed up a week later with another 5 goals from 14 touches and 9 marks.

There was a period where Mitch seemed to come back to earth a little during the middle of the season, but Mitch did make the list of Geelong’s best in the VFL sides first win of the season. Mitch seemed to benefit from the presence of Tom Hawkins and Cameron Mooney as he again posted bags of 2 and 3 goals per game.

His performances and efforts didn’t go unnoticed by the Match Committee and Mitch was rewarded with his debut in the senior side against the Crows. Mitch finally had announced his presence to the AFL world outside Geelong in this game by booting 3 goals from 9 touches.

A performance that was followed up by a goalless showing in Geelong’s first loss of the season to Essendon in Round 15. However, it wasn’t the scoreboard result that was the most demoralising moment of the game. That moment arose late in the game when Mitch once again succumbed to a season ending shoulder injury.

Somewhat uniquely, although it was to be repeated again with Dan Menzel’s injury, both Chris Scott and Neal Balme both came out publically and very hastily to report not only the state of the injury but to reaffirm that Mitch Brown was viewed as a 10 year player for Geelong and a required player at highest level. Clearly, the talent , skill and effortless grace of Mitch Brown has been recognised by the Geelong football club. Thankfully with a full recovery and a complete offseason we should expect to see him adorning the #1 kicking goals for Geelong for many years to come.

Go Catters

Mitch Brown - # 1

Mitch was drafted 15th overall from Sandringham in the 2008 national draft.
In 2009, Mitch suffered a broken leg that completely derailed his 2009 campaign. In 2010, he suffered further setbacks from that injury. In the middle of the season he returned to the VFL but suffered a shoulder injury that put him out for the remainder of the season.

However, it wasn’t before he had shown what he was capable of, kicking multiple goals in several of his appearances and showing great poise and ability to move up the ground effectively reading the play well.

He, to at least this casual observer, has shown some likeness to Barry Stoneham – In that the hard hitting and fast paced action of the game can be made to look effortless graceful – sometimes completing moves on the field almost in slow motion. A great kicking style and repeated accuracy had things well lined up for 2011.

With Chris Scott pushing a “youth policy of you will get it if you earn it,” Mitch went out in the VFL and began his task of earning it. Against Williamstown, he started off with a bang in a losing side grabbing 14 disposals, 4 marks and kicking 7 goals, that he followed up a week later with another 5 goals from 14 touches and 9 marks.

There was a period where Mitch seemed to come back to earth a little during the middle of the season, but Mitch did make the list of Geelong’s best in the VFL sides first win of the season. Mitch seemed to benefit from the presence of Tom Hawkins and Cameron Mooney as he again posted bags of 2 and 3 goals per game.

His performances and efforts didn’t go unnoticed by the Match Committee and Mitch was rewarded with his debut in the senior side against the Crows. Mitch finally had announced his presence to the AFL world outside Geelong in this game by booting 3 goals from 9 touches.

A performance that was followed up by a goalless showing in Geelong’s first loss of the season to Essendon in Round 15. However, it wasn’t the scoreboard result that was the most demoralising moment of the game. That moment arose late in the game when Mitch once again succumbed to a season ending shoulder injury.

Somewhat uniquely, although it was to be repeated again with Dan Menzel’s injury, both Chris Scott and Neal Balme both came out publically and very hastily to report not only the state of the injury but to reaffirm that Mitch Brown was viewed as a 10 year player for Geelong and a required player at highest level. Clearly, the talent , skill and effortless grace of Mitch Brown has been recognised by the Geelong football club. Thankfully with a full recovery and a complete offseason we should expect to see him adorning the #1 kicking goals for Geelong for many years to come.

Go Catters
Great, thanks daz! Nice summary of Brown's first, albeit brief, AFL season.

If nobody wants Chapman I'll do one for him tomorrow
Great. Almost finished!

If anyone has their own images of Geelong players that they would like to source for the BigFooty Annual (with full recognition given to the owner), please let us know! I think RaptorRoj is keen but the more the merrier.

I'll knock up something on Shannon Byrnes if you like.

Cheers
That would be brilliant. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll have a lash at Billie Smedts its a bit difficult but will give it my best

I'll have a lash at Billie Smedts its a bit difficult but will give it my best
Thanks. Obviously you only have to cover his season as it happened.

# 2 Billie Smedts

Height - 189cm Weight - 79kgs
Drafted 2010 - pick 15, 2011 Games - 0

The knock about young kid from Warrnambool who's father Alby played VFL for the Saints and Bulldogs entered season 2011 hoping to break into the senior side as a utility player capable of playing as either a medium sized forward or back, with the feeling that the club may have ear marked him for a position in the back half and for awhile pre-season for 2011 started looking promising for our #15 pick in the 2010 draft until early 2011 when during pre-season training he started to notice some pain in his back. Scans lead to the discovery in early May that Billie had a issue with bone spurs on his hip joints that would require surgery to correct.

The surgery was completed successfully and was at the time expected to see a 12 week recovery time but the club thinking of Billie's long term health decided to have him sit out for the year and allow him to fully recover in time to be right to take part in all the pre-season training for season 2012.

Billie has joined the players as part of the training camp at Falls Creek and has been taking part in all of the drills and sessions in a bid to impress the selection committee in hopes of being able to get a game in 2012 something that all Cat fans look forward to seeing.

"I feel like I'm starting my career with Geelong now," Smedts said.

"The first thing is just to get through the pre-season and get my body in the best shape I can, so that when the NAB Cup comes around I can hopefully put my hand up and get a few games.

"I hope I can show some things to 'Scotty' [Cats coach Chris Scott] that he likes, so he'll put me in the team for round one, which would be a nice little reward."

Smedlts in a recent interview with GFC.com.au on his pre-season so far

Shannon Byrnes – 104 games, 99goals, 2 premiership medallions

Put your hand up which group are you in?

Group A sees real value here. A pocket rocket in the must play category – links up – provides defensive pressure – goal a game player.

Group B sees the number 17 as cause for despair . Head disappears into hands as he lines up for goal or is forced towards the boundary on his right side.

There can be no fence sitting with Shannon Byrnes you either love him or he drives you nuts.

Byrnes got the call to join the hoops in 2002. The country lad (Shepparton) accepted the offer of a place on the GFC’s rookie list and the journey began. At 175cm and “a bit” one sided, it was a bold choice by Geelong’s recruiting staff.

Byrnes spent the necessary year in the VFL in 2003 – (third in VFL B&F) before making his senior debut in 2004 vs Sydney .

2005 and 2006 saw Byrnes star.
Well in Bigfooty forums anyway, as posters vented their frustration or praise for this lightning quick fumbler. No one was able to resist taking a side. On the one hand Byrnes was just what the modern game required- grass blistering speed and the endurance to be involved all over the ground – and often. He had very quick hands and the ability to move the ball on to advantage with deft touches. In fact if you didn’t whatch closely you missed a lot of the good stuff.

The bad stuff stood out clearly for all to see. How many times did your head disappear into your hands as Byrnes got trapped on his right and refused to use it? Sometimes he turned back into traffic only to be nailed … hard. Turnover.
Then there was goal kicking. You could see Shannon concentrating so hard on set shots that he would tense and miss ….almost every time. Shots on the run got sprayed. Fingernails were being destroyed all over the state watching Shannon in action.

2007 was a watershed. For the GFC and all its longsuffering supporters. Shannon was just Shannon for another season and won his way back into the senior side and played in all three finals. He had a premiership medallion but people who like to talk footy and decide on a player’s value were still arguing his worth.

2008-2009 saw Shannon begin to blossom. OK 2008 was not a lot different but hauls of multiple goals became more frequent and he was able to find a way to get the ball between the biggies. He was emergency for the granny (some say we lacked leg speed that day!). 2009 and Byrnes finds his feet and establishes himself as a better than handy small forward. Third in the B&F, 35 goals and a last quarter of the grand final that is hard to forget. His endurance and speed repeatedly allowed him to break away and pump the ball forward. Medallion number two sat easily on his chest.

2010 Byrnes had another very good year. 35 goals, high tackle count, high possession season. His polish began to show especially as he became a reliable shot at goal. He was getting value for effort.

2011 Injury plagued what could have been a great year for the little bloke.

2012 at 27 Shannon has much to offer. He will need to keep improving however as Cowan, Motlop, Shredder and others begin to press for places and Varcoe and Stokes mature. Byrnes though, has that rare turn of speed and the ability to get to the ball in open space and move it on efficiently that cannot be taught. In fact should he ever realize how much talent he has ( and he learns to kick 20m on his right) he could surprise even this admirer.

The fact such an accomplished player could not make it into the 2011 premiership team says volumes for depth at the GFC.

Re: 2011 Geelong Board player review - Six senior players remain!

Paul Chapman 2011 review.

This is an interesting review to write, given that as Geelong supporters we all have a lot of time for "Chap" in light of both his on-field abilities & achievements and his propensity to make the most scathing inflammatory/controversial statements in the media. This year began positively for Chapman, he made the stock standard "new coach has got us training out of our skin" preseason puff-piece - and then promptly found himself injured. Was it a groin strain? A hamstring? A calf? Several variations of the injury were reported, and Chapman had yet another interrupted preparation to a premiership tilt.

Although not without its highlights (a 23 possession, 10 tackle, 3 goal performance in a rare comfortable victory over Hawthorn in round 5 a major play) Chapman's season was statistically unremarkable in comparison to previous years. Under the new lower-possession game plan Chapman sacrificed over 100 disposals on his 2010 numbers, while kicking around the same number of goals - which trended downward noticeably from 2009. He was still good for his 20-25 touches a game, and would bob up for 1-2 goals most weeks, but something was slightly amiss with Chapman's form this season in comparison to other years. Was it the result of the Chris Scott style? The loss of Ablett in the midfield reducing the frequent short pass possessions with which Chapman was so frequently involved? Was he still fighting injury? As it turns out, you could attribute all of the above for creating the impression that Chapman had a mediocre year by his own standards - and from the frustration that he vented at various times during the year, no-one was more aware of it than he. Most (in)famously he was dragged and mildly chastised on the bench by a smirking Chris Scott (himself a notoriously aggressive player) after a boil over attack on Lynden Dunn during the coach-killing demolition of Melbourne in rd. 19. This was an important point in the season for Chapman who had been reminded by Scott of his importance to the team despite his indifferent form to date, and he began to lift his work rate in the remaining games of the season (The exception being his 15 possession game in "The Great Escape" vs. Adelaide in Adelaide) - most notably a 3-goal cameo in the 96 point drubbing of Collingwood in the so called "dead rubber" of rd. 24. It also became painfully obvious that he was carrying an injury in the groin/hamstring, and that it was hampering his mobility.

Chapman's finals campaign got off to an inauspicious start against Hawthorn when he was again subdued, with output more akin to a first year finals player than the seasoned campaigner from which we had come to expect nothing but greatness – there were even murmurings that he should be… dropped… among the pundits (he was particularly costly in conceding a 50 metre penalty at a critical point in the game) but Scott stayed the course, and Chapman remained in the side and played a more balanced game a fortnight later against the West Coast Eagles albeit not dominant.
This year’s Grand Final would prove to be a summary of Chapman’s year: he was there, he did his bit, but ultimately the accolades would go to others: Bartel, Selwood, Hawkins, Varcoe and even Christensen enhanced their reputations on the big day, while Chapman’s 24 touches and 4 tackles was by no means poor – but amounted to the game of a foot-soldier rather than a champion. Given the size of the contribution Chapman has made in previous years, it was as if the rest of the club said “You’ve pulled us through so many times before, this one is on us mate.” In light of the famous Geelong victories in which Chapman has been the anchor over the past 5 years, nobody would hold it against him for letting a few others get the job done.

So, where to in 2012 for Chap? In light of the rise in stature of Mitch Duncan and Allen Christensen, and a critical year for Simon Hogan to either force his way in or walk away, Chapman’s days as a midfielder may be shortened. His best position is as a floating half-forward who can rotate into the midfield if needed rather than the other way around, as he is more threatening when kicking goals AND racking up disposals. He has had yet more offseason surgery for groin and hamstring injuries that have plagued him as far back in his career as 2005, and he will be one of the oldest players on the list. Given the success of Scott’s “cotton wool” program aka “General Soreness”, it would be likely that Chapman plays in the vicinity of 16-19 H&A games next year, and will not be expected to do the extensive running that he has done in his last two seasons. Although Chapman being the determined grit-your-teeth type that he is may just prove me wrong.

Paul Chapman 2011 review.

This is an interesting review to write, given that as Geelong supporters we all have a lot of time for "Chap" in light of both his on-field abilities & achievements and his propensity to make the most scathing inflammatory/controversial statements in the media. This year began positively for Chapman, he made the stock standard "new coach has got us training out of our skin" preseason puff-piece - and then promptly found himself injured. Was it a groin strain? A hamstring? A calf? Several variations of the injury were reported, and Chapman had yet another interrupted preparation to a premiership tilt.

Although not without its highlights (a 23 possession, 10 tackle, 3 goal performance in a rare comfortable victory over Hawthorn in round 5 a major play) Chapman's season was statistically unremarkable in comparison to previous years. Under the new lower-possession game plan Chapman sacrificed over 100 disposals on his 2010 numbers, while kicking around the same number of goals - which trended downward noticeably from 2009. He was still good for his 20-25 touches a game, and would bob up for 1-2 goals most weeks, but something was slightly amiss with Chapman's form this season in comparison to other years. Was it the result of the Chris Scott style? The loss of Ablett in the midfield reducing the frequent short pass possessions with which Chapman was so frequently involved? Was he still fighting injury? As it turns out, you could attribute all of the above for creating the impression that Chapman had a mediocre year by his own standards - and from the frustration that he vented at various times during the year, no-one was more aware of it than he. Most (in)famously he was dragged and mildly chastised on the bench by a smirking Chris Scott (himself a notoriously aggressive player) after a boil over attack on Lynden Dunn during the coach-killing demolition of Melbourne in rd. 19. This was an important point in the season for Chapman who had been reminded by Scott of his importance to the team despite his indifferent form to date, and he began to lift his work rate in the remaining games of the season (The exception being his 15 possession game in "The Great Escape" vs. Adelaide in Adelaide) - most notably a 3-goal cameo in the 96 point drubbing of Collingwood in the so called "dead rubber" of rd. 24. It also became painfully obvious that he was carrying an injury in the groin/hamstring, and that it was hampering his mobility.

Chapman's finals campaign got off to an inauspicious start against Hawthorn when he was again subdued, with output more akin to a first year finals player than the seasoned campaigner from which we had come to expect nothing but greatness – there were even murmurings that he should be… dropped… among the pundits (he was particularly costly in conceding a 50 metre penalty at a critical point in the game) but Scott stayed the course, and Chapman remained in the side and played a more balanced game a fortnight later against the West Coast Eagles albeit not dominant.
This year’s Grand Final would prove to be a summary of Chapman’s year: he was there, he did his bit, but ultimately the accolades would go to others: Bartel, Selwood, Hawkins, Varcoe and even Christensen enhanced their reputations on the big day, while Chapman’s 24 touches and 4 tackles was by no means poor – but amounted to the game of a foot-soldier rather than a champion. Given the size of the contribution Chapman has made in previous years, it was as if the rest of the club said “You’ve pulled us through so many times before, this one is on us mate.” In light of the famous Geelong victories in which Chapman has been the anchor over the past 5 years, nobody would hold it against him for letting a few others get the job done.

So, where to in 2012 for Chap? In light of the rise in stature of Mitch Duncan and Allen Christensen, and a critical year for Simon Hogan to either force his way in or walk away, Chapman’s days as a midfielder may be shortened. His best position is as a floating half-forward who can rotate into the midfield if needed rather than the other way around, as he is more threatening when kicking goals AND racking up disposals. He has had yet more offseason surgery for groin and hamstring injuries that have plagued him as far back in his career as 2005, and he will be one of the oldest players on the list. Given the success of Scott’s “cotton wool” program aka “General Soreness”, it would be likely that Chapman plays in the vicinity of 16-19 H&A games next year, and will not be expected to do the extensive running that he has done in his last two seasons. Although Chapman being the determined grit-your-teeth type that he is may just prove me wrong.

Great write up LSV:thumbsu:

Yep -well said.
I love Chappy. I thought he injured himself in the first match against Collingwood(round 8) when he kicked a goal late in the piece. I expected he would have the next week off given his history, but he played on and must have been managed all year but he was not right and he looked sometimes like he was nursing himself to make it through to the finals. I was glad he made it to them because we are a better team with him in.

TAYLORS_CROP-1_IA029057_75049.JPG

Bloke needs a review.

Simon Hogan (which shouldn't be too long) & Harry Taylor (which should) will be posted here tonight.

I love Harry, but I was sure he would have been snapped up much earlier!

Simon Hogan (which shouldn't be too long) & Harry Taylor (which should) will be posted here tonight.

I love Harry, but I was sure he would have been snapped up much earlier!
Thanks mate.

#34: Simon Hogan , Geelong Board player review, 2011

2011 Statistics: 1 game, 1 kick, 6 handballs, 3 tackles.

Were this record ascribed to any other player drafted in 2006, it would be a portent of impending career death. That Simon Hogan was able to achieve them in 2011 is a triumph of the will.

Simon Hogan's road has been long and treacherous. With no irony intended in any sense, the sheer fact that he is still a member of the Cats after all that he has been through is down to sheer bloody mindedness and mental strength. It would have been so easy to have chucked everything in and fade away into the anonymity of a could-have-been, but Hoges is still with us, still pursuing that elusive dream.

Simon was drafted at #57 in the 2006 National Draft as a 182cm tall/ 68kg midfielder. Despite his 2007 season being plagued by recurring groin injuries, he still managed to be a member of the VFL championship winning team.

It took Simon two years to finally get a crack at the bigs. After the VFL triumph of 2007, he was named emergency for the AFL team for five separate games in 2008 but never got to actually run on with them. His debut finally came in Round 2 of the 2009 season, but he then disappeared until Round 14. In the famous 1 point Lazarus like victory against the Hawks in Round 17 that year, Simon was one of those players who significantly lifted their performances in that glorious final quarter and drove the team to that most wondrous of wins.

Come the finals, however, and Simon was back in his traditional role: running on the field after the final game in his snazzy navy suit to celebrate yet another Geelong premiership.

Injuries are very much Simon's bete noir. Prior to this past season, he has also had to contend with osteitis pubis, ankle problems, back problems and glandular fever. The path to the AFL has been long and arduous. Not so long ago he was regarded as one of the three great new hopes for Geelong, the others being Ryan Gamble and Kane Tenace. Those two are now both long gone, but Simon endures.

Anyone with any reasonable knowledge with footy would be aware of Simon's 2011. He had a cracker of a pre-season and had bulked up to 83kg without losing any speed, endurance or flexibility. Then the nagging doubts that had been building up ever so slightly and insinuously finally overwhelmed him, and Simon was given time off by the club to address the mental health issues confronting him.

I believe that the club - and especially, Simon's peers - handled this situation sensitively and compassionately. He was offered all the support he could ask for, but opted to work through the situation himself with chosen professional and personal support. And thankfully, it does appear that he has now fully emerged from the tunnel.

Simon was eased back into the VFL team and played 9 games, being credited among the best players for the Cats in 5 of those games. At the end of the season, he was Geelong's equal highest vote winner in the Liston Trophy (the VFL equivalent of the Brownlow). The tokenistic AFL appearance was basically a reaffirmation of the club's continuing faith in his potential to become a significant member of the AFL team. The actual stats of that game are an irrelevance.

If ever a player deserves to get some lucky breaks, it has to be Simon Hogan. He is very popular in the clubhouse, and widely respected in the community. He is highly intelligent (and we are talking the Harry Taylor end of the spectrum here), and very generous, as evinced by his morally courageous public advocacy for Head Space, the promotions vehicle for the National Youth Mental Health Foundation.

He has superb physical gifts, including outstanding acceleration, elite level endurance and a Jimmy Bartelian propensity for verticality. His Achilles heel in the past has often been his slight frame (now comprehensively bulkier than in his early days) and occasionally dodgy decision making and ball disposal.

2011 was to have been Simon's crux year, when his career would either take off or crash and burn. In a way, it was a indeed a critical year, but the club - and far more importantly, Simon himself - instead focused on addressing the far more important issues confronting him.

He has lost none of the physical and mental talents required to establish a worthy AFL career with the Cats. He has spent far too long a time in the fires of the smelter, so I for one am both confident and hopeful that the real steel at the core of Simon Hogan will finally shine through in 2012.
Nobody deserves it more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Varcoe, Cowan, Wojcinski, Ling needed! - 2011 Geelong Board player review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back