Varcoe

Remove this Banner Ad

Varcoe was fantastic tonight, largely due to his increase in confidence in his abilities - he will only get better imo.

Sure his pace and closing speed and pressure is good but I definitely remember a moment when he was hanging behind the Adelaide player who had taken a mark hoping the umpire would call play on so he could tackle him rather than manning up.

Surely he has been directed by Bomber to chase the ball carrier rather than man up. It really is quite amazing how quickly he closes down the opposition.

I think 4-5 scoring opportunities were created directly from his pressure tonight.

It seems he also has a new instruction which is to come off the line at center bounces. He stopped quite a few easy clearances by doing this. Might not register as a stat but he is becoming a master at stripping the ball from the opposition whether its from a clearance, kick in or rebound out of the cats forward 50.

I think he is definitely improving as a result of increased confidence. Was very poor earlier in the year for the reserves. Thus dropping him now would set him back a lot. I feel keeping him in the seniors is good for his long term development so the more games we can put into him this year the better. He may not be in our best 22 com finals time, but for now he is helping us win games. We will reap the rewards in a couple of years time. Also feel that Bomber knows that all players getting possessions doesn't necessarily win us games (onballers get enough!). Thats why he can tolerate Max Rooke's skill errors and Varcoes lack of aggression at the contest (btw I think more games will help these players improve on these weaknesses).

Good to see this young kid come along nicely...im hoping Richy Tambling can turn out like him because Varcoe just has amazing defensive pressure and its good to see that you dont have to get lots of possies to be a danger to the opposition.

Agreed. However you just feel that he is ready to explode onto the scene, but isnt quite there yet. Is young, so plenty of time.

Yep. He's still someway off

while we're on top I think we're able to carry his lack of ball gathering, because as mentioned his defensive pressure is outstanding. Thompson told him that he wanted him in the side (as sourced from The Mission) but that he ran out of gas last year. Evidently Thompson has plans for him.

I think it would not have been good for his development to play him in the Grand Final. He still needs to work harder. Can't let him think he's made it yet.

Im not a varcoe fan but he did really well tonight.

Ditto. If he keeps playing like that I'll warm up though. He was good.

This time next year he will be taking the AFl by storm.

Nup. Try 2011, 2010 if lucky

He's ahead of Stokes right now for mine.

If I was Matty Stokes I'd be insulted reading that. Stokes is a borderline AA player and Varcoe is getting an AFL gig purely on potential. Varcoe has talent but truth be told is being carried by the team for the longer term benefit of the club. Short term, Brynes is still a far better contributer.

I think Varcoe should get an extended run in the team. I honestly think we should make him a versatile type of guy with stints in the forward line, back line and in the midfield...that way he will get more of the ball...

Much better prospect than Byrnes although Byrnes does work hard...Varcoe is a much better palyer long term

Varcoe has played something like 25 games and looks better every game. Once he gets enough confidence to find more of the ball and take the opposition on, he is going to be devastating. With Stevie J, Varcoe, Stokes and Chappy waiting for the crumbs, we can only get better!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Varcoe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back