Velvet Revolver touring Oz

Remove this Banner Ad

Darky

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 7, 2000
country Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Article in today's Herald-Sun (interview with Slash), and at the end was a note about VR touring here early next year. Tix go on sale Dec 17, and from memory the gig is on Feb 27.

If this all pans out, it'd be especially fantastic for the fans who wanted to see Slash's Snakepit a few years ago before the tour was cancelled due to poor sales.

Anyone going?

Darky said:
Article in today's Herald-Sun (interview with Slash), and at the end was a note about VR touring here early next year. Tix go on sale Dec 17, and from memory the gig is on Feb 27.

If this all pans out, it'd be especially fantastic for the fans who wanted to see Slash's Snakepit a few years ago before the tour was cancelled due to poor sales.

Anyone going?

I'm a definate starter Darky. Was shattered when Snakepit cancelled last time - had my ticket set to go!!!

VR concert should be a ripper - the album is excellent for those who haven't had the pleasure. Real kick ass stuff as opposed to the pop rock we seem to be dealt up these days.

Was very pumped yesterday when I read the HS and saw the news. I might even take Friday off just to ensure I get tickets!!

How the hell is Scott getting into the country with his colourful past?

I thought that was the thing that stopped the STPs touring here?

The Hitman

Only know the tix are on sale at Ticketek from Friday the 17th, and the Melbourne date is Feb 27 at the Vodafone arena.

Somehow I think ticket sales won't be big - a week at #2 on debut, and then freefall out of the charts suggests that IMHO.

Is it just me or do the Screaming Jets stand out like dogs' balls as the perfect support? Just speculation on my part, as there's been no announcement made on supports, but surely you can't go past the reformed Jets as the perfect fit...

Darky said:
Is it just me or do the Screaming Jets stand out like dogs' balls as the perfect support? Just speculation on my part, as there's been no announcement made on supports, but surely you can't go past the reformed Jets as the perfect fit...
Maybe, but there is possibly an even more suitable support mate - a newish Melbourne based band called Maeder. If you havent heard them, and knowing your love for a good rock and roll tune with attitude, i suggest you change that. In fact, IMO they are a better attempt at what Velvet Revolver are trying to do.

You'd love them. And the singer's voice is outrageous. Think Steven Tyler crossed with Brian Johnson and a bit of Jimmy Barnes chucked in for good measure, and their tunes seriously ROCK.

Carlos said:
You'd love them. And the singer's voice is outrageous. Think Steven Tyler crossed with Brian Johnson and a bit of Jimmy Barnes chucked in for good measure, and their tunes seriously ROCK.

That sounded really promising Carlos, until you got to that last name. :p

I assume that you same old school rockers will be lining up (p1ssing yourselves laughing) when Moldey Crue come out on their tour next year. :eek: :D

The Hippie said:
That sounded really promising Carlos, until you got to that last name. :p

I assume that you same old school rockers will be lining up (p1ssing yourselves laughing) when Moldey Crue come out on their tour next year. :eek: :D
The only comparison to Jimmy Barnes is the rasp dude. The Maeder singer can really crank it up there. Great voice.

And you betcha ya fricken arse i'll be at Motley bro! And they better bring Tommy's flying drum cage out again!

Mind you, only when i've taken my seat and all 4 of them take the stage and the opening pyro goes off will i really believe that they'll actually make it out here. 12 months is a long time when it comes to those dudes. Anything could happen between now and then...

Darky said:
Only know the tix are on sale at Ticketek from Friday the 17th, and the Melbourne date is Feb 27 at the Vodafone arena.

Somehow I think ticket sales won't be big - a week at #2 on debut, and then freefall out of the charts suggests that IMHO.

I'll be there with freakin bells on!...wouldn't miss it...and oh god help us if the Jets are support.

Darky said:
Good call. Apparently the Jets will be supporting them in Sydney.

Not such good news for Perth, though. Just read that the show has been cancelled? Anyone else heard this?

Word around the campfire ticket sales are slow ...... maybe should have done smaller veues but i shudder to think what thier dollar is .

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Weiland has "lost it" , i reckon his voice is very ordinary on Revolver , not enough Slash in the mix either

IDGAF said:
Word around the campfire ticket sales are slow ...... maybe should have done smaller veues but i shudder to think what thier dollar is .

Is it just me or does anyone else think that Weiland has "lost it" , i reckon his voice is very ordinary on Revolver , not enough Slash in the mix either
100% agree dude. His voice is just not up to scratch at all on that album. In fact, it sounds in some parts like he's taking the p*ss or trying to do something his voice just isn't up to.

VR has done nothing for me. Was a big GnR fan, own every STP album and like my rock as much as the next rockpig. But VR sounds to me like a bunch of dudes who listened to far too much of the people around them telling them how great they are and didnt have enough people telling them that perhaps they should spend a bit more time on the quality of their songs before being able to claim the still vacant title of the savours of 00's rock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlos said:
VR has done nothing for me. Was a big GnR fan, own every STP album and like my rock as much as the next rockpig. But VR sounds to me like a bunch of dudes who listened to far too much of the people around them telling them how great they are and didnt have enough people telling them that perhaps they should spend a bit more time on the quality of their songs before being able to claim the still vacant title of the savours of 00's rock.
Like-minded , Got all STP gear , go back and listen to the depth of his voice on Core and then listen to VR , sad really .

Lets face it ....... we all wanted them to be G n`R mk II but it just didn`t happen :(

Whats even more sadder is that i can`t stand the power ballad generally but that is about the only decent song on the album

They've added another show to their schedule in Sydney. Hopefully that's a sign that tickets sales are going ok there. Still really disappointed about the Perth show being cancelled and missing out on seeing Slash's tophat and dangling cigarette in person. ;)

I liked Contraband. It was always going to suffer from massive expectations, but I reckon it gets better with every listen. 'Slither' is brilliant and the clear standout, but it's songs like 'Big Machine', 'Do It For The Kids' and 'Dirty Little Thing' that slowly work their way under your skin and keep you coming back for more.

Not sure about Scott. His voice doesn't sound that different from his later days with STP, imho. Perhaps lacking a bit of power, but that might be more to do with the lousy job Josh Abraham(?) did producing the album.

My main gripe is the pretty uninspired songwriting. Even two of the better songs from the album (Big Machine and Fall To Pieces (I'm a sucker for a rock ballad)) have very repetitive lyrics. I also think they've tried too hard to find a modern edge to their music, when all I wanted was a return to good old fashioned bluesy rock that Slash was doing in the late 80's. But I guess it's understandable that Slash, Duff and Matt wanted a more contemporary style to try and avoid the inevitable accusations of "living in the past".

Darky said:
Just been talking to a source in the music industry, the SCREAMING JETS will be the support for Velvet Revolver across Australia.

Now THAT's value for money!!!
The Jets are definately playing in all states. I saw them in Adelaide last week and they effing still rock very hard. Do yourself a favour get there early to watch Dave and the boys. I am thinking about going to the Thebby just for them. $80 for 45 mins of the Jets plus Slash is good value for money. Better than $145 to see Kylie!!!!!

I read an interview with Dave whatzisname who said he played rhythm guitar more like the guitarist from Filter than like Izzy Stradlin. I reckon that makes a fair difference to the sound.

The VR album isn't half as dynamic as a GnR one, but it still rocks. Just needs Axl's songwriting talent.....

I was a little skeptical about the $70 or so it was going to cost me. The Screaming Jets definately makes it a little more worthwhile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Velvet Revolver touring Oz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back