Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

10 points Brisbane!!

that’s all you had to win by for us to be in the eight today.

bastards, I hope they all get ingrown toenails

Is the "good news" that Cochrane and his crazy opinions is joining Eddie in tossing in being in charge of a club? That would be good news!!!

You have been warned for trolling on here before

Absolutely. If they wanna make the stand and get rid of dissent on the field, then pay it 100%. It would probably **** up a full round of footy, but I guarantee it will cut it out by the next round. They can't pick and choose when they want to pay it

It's good but the umpires have gotta be bloody consistent with it
Rare time I’ll disagree.. think the rule or interpretation of it is pure shit.
Nobody wants to see umpire abuse, but the idea that they can’t show any emotion or have instinctive reactions has made this game harder to watch.

Maybe fix the rules so the umpires don’t have to guess / interpret. The wishy washy push in the back rule, ever changing high tackle, holding, incorrect disposal and on it goes. Make it black and white so the umps have a chance and then those that are dodgy / incompetent get weeded out

I actually hate the game as it is, mainly because of the umpires poor consistency and supseptabiliy to poor calls based on noise of affirmation

Does it bother anyone else that Brisbane continue to recruit the best players from our academy zone and they turn into good players for them? Dayne Zorko (GC), Charlie Cameron (NQ) and Zac Bailey (Darwin) are all from our academy zone and are all considered very good players of the competition, yet none of them play for us. They are also going to get probable number 1 pick Will Ashcroft at the end of this year and Will was of course born on the Gold Coast and spent the first 15 years of his life living here. So we miss out on another high level prospect from our zone. Cockatoo and the Coleman brothers are three other players from the NT that may also have been in our academy zone if it existed when they were drafted.

It's just disappointing to me that we're not taking advantage of all the talent coming out of our zone/s.

Does it bother anyone else that Brisbane continue to recruit the best players from our academy zone and they turn into good players for them? Dayne Zorko (GC), Charlie Cameron (NQ) and Zac Bailey (Darwin) are all from our academy zone and are all considered very good players of the competition, yet none of them play for us. They are also going to get probable number 1 pick Will Ashcroft at the end of this year and Will was of course born on the Gold Coast and spent the first 15 years of his life living here. So we miss out on another high level prospect from our zone. Cockatoo and the Coleman brothers are three other players from the NT that may also have been in our academy zone if it existed when they were drafted.

It's just disappointing to me that we're not taking advantage of all the talent coming out of our zone/s.
Not really because none of those players where in our zone at the time (zorko was but we gave him up)
We can't develop top 10 picks let alone academy players.

Not really because none of those players where in our zone at the time (zorko was but we gave him up)
We can't develop top 10 picks let alone academy players.
Despite what other fans think on here, I've always felt we should have kept Zorko so that one burns a little. I think we may have had access to Charlie Cameron if we had looked into it at the time but he had barely played two seasons in WA when he got rookied to the Crows so I don't really blame our recruiting staff for that. Will Ashcroft is one that's going to bother me the most because he spent four years in our academy (and zero days in Brisbane's academy) but is going to play for the Lions next year. Our Darwin zone access was two years shy of securing Zac Bailey so we can't really be mad about that one. Same goes for Cockatoo.

You're right in stating that player development has been an issue for us in the past but there's only so much you can do with academy prospects if they simply don't have the talent. You can't compare a standout junior academy prospect like Isaac Heeney to a player like Max Spencer and solely blame the development. Perhaps we'll get it right with Jed Walter next year and we can move on from other wasted opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Ashcroft is one that's going to bother me the most because he spent four years in our academy (and zero days in Brisbane's academy) but is going to play for the Lions next year. Our Darwin zone access was two years shy of securing Zac Bailey so we can't really be mad about that one. Same goes for Cockatoo.
Father Son rule is the biggest scam in Australian sport

Father Son rule is the biggest scam in Australian sport
Certainly a rule that doesn't help us in any way. Not yet anyway.

You look at players like Sam Darcy (pick 2), Nick Daicos (pick 4) and Will Ashcroft (likely pick 1) over the last 12 months and it does make you wonder. I suspect all teams other than us and GWS have put a lot more effort into their father-son academies ever since the NGA access has been wound back, which would explain the sudden burst in top 5 father-son picks over the last 12 months. We're still 9 years away from Kai Rischitelli being eligible to be our first ever father-son pick but the positive is that he is playing juniors for Broadbeach at the moment so hopefully we get him into the academy fold as early as possible.

Certainly a rule that doesn't help us in any way. Not yet anyway.

You look at players like Sam Darcy (pick 2), Nick Daicos (pick 4) and Will Ashcroft (likely pick 1) over the last 12 months and it does make you wonder. I suspect all teams other than us and GWS have put a lot more effort into their father-son academies ever since the NGA access has been wound back, which would explain the sudden burst in top 5 father-son picks over the last 12 months. We're still 9 years away from Kai Rischitelli being eligible to be our first ever father-son pick but the positive is that he is playing juniors for Broadbeach at the moment so hopefully we get him into the academy fold as early as possible.
I’m not sure what you imagine father son academies look like. From my understanding, the AFL rules only allow for father son kids to spend X amount of hours at their club each year.

The big one for father son kids is spending all of the preseason of their draft year with their club.

They’re not like the Northern academies.

From what I have gleaned over the years, it’s the kids junior clubs that still contribute the most to their development, plus the extras they do with their dads.

The other biggest contributing factor is the development of the private school competitions in Vic, SA and WA, and the amount of money those private schools put in to their football programs. You look at the Vic private schools, they all have legends of the game as the heads of the football programs, coaching or mentoring the kids.

I’m not sure what you imagine father son academies look like. From my understanding, the AFL rules only allow for father son kids to spend X amount of hours at their club each year.

The big one for father son kids is spending all of the preseason of their draft year with their club.

They’re not like the Northern academies.

From what I have gleaned over the years, it’s the kids junior clubs that still contribute the most to their development, plus the extras they do with their dads.

The other biggest contributing factor is the development of the private school competitions in Vic, SA and WA, and the amount of money those private schools put in to their football programs. You look at the Vic private schools, they all have legends of the game as the heads of the football programs, coaching or mentoring the kids.
That's exactly it though. Essendon organised for Tex Wanganeen to relocate from Adelaide to Melbourne around the age of 16 to begin boarding at Xavier College because they knew they had father-son rights to him. As you pointed out, Tex then had access to coaching from legends of the game through the APS system in Victoria and also competed in the high level NAB League for Oakleigh. Does Tex get that opportunity if he's not a father-son prospect for Essendon? The answer is no. Now he's on their list and has played multiple AFL games already. The advantages of having access to players through the father-son rule extend beyond the arbitrary amount of hours the AFL says they can train with their club/s.

Your club is lucky we sacked Marcus when we did otherwise Will would have stayed in our academy and Brisbane would have had to compete for him. Instead your club gets all the benefits of exclusive access after putting in next to no effort towards his junior development. You're welcome.

That's exactly it though. Essendon organised for Tex Wanganeen to relocate from Adelaide to Melbourne around the age of 16 to begin boarding at Xavier College because they knew they had father-son rights to him. As you pointed out, Tex then had access to coaching from legends of the game through the APS system in Victoria and also competed in the high level NAB League for Oakleigh. Does Tex get that opportunity if he's not a father-son prospect for Essendon? The answer is no. Now he's on their list and has played multiple AFL games already. The advantages of having access to players through the father-son rule extend beyond the arbitrary amount of hours the AFL says they can train with their club/s.

Your club is lucky we sacked Marcus when we did otherwise Will would have stayed in our academy and Brisbane would have had to compete for him. Instead your club gets all the benefits of exclusive access after putting in next to no effort towards his junior development. You're welcome.
I was going to give you an honest reply about your Wanganeen example, but now I’m going to make it really short.

Wanganeen is no different to any kid in the Northern academies, particularly those GC kids who attend PBC.

Your last paragraph just makes you come across as really salty and diminishes what could have been a good discussion.

I was going to give you an honest reply about your Wanganeen example, but now I’m going to make it really short.

Wanganeen is no different to any kid in the Northern academies, particularly those GC kids who attend PBC.

Your last paragraph just makes you come across as really salty and diminishes what could have been a good discussion.
Wanganeen is very different from most kids in Northern academies. He's going to a Big 4 club as a father son. He has pedigree.
It's just the way that it is and not his fault by any stretch.

You can't seriously be comparing Xavier College and PBC.
PBC is a public high school on the Gold Coast and not an exclusive private school in the AFL heartland.

You're coming across as being salty for Brisbane being called out for getting a possible number one pick with no effort put in.

The Gold Coast Suns phone App this year looks like a f@%king dog's breakfast!! Who designed it? a 6yo? It's an absolute disaster. Hope they make a Professional one for 2023!!
It's a UI/UX disaster.

I think they are made by the AFLs tech team for the clubs. It's ****ing awful. Can't believe they signed off on it.

I probably went too far with that paragraph but this is a vent thread so I felt it was a suitable place to express my displeasure at another club getting exclusive rights to Will Ashcroft when we spent many years developing him and no other club in the AFL has done anything close to what we did for his development. Here is an article from 2014 when we invited a then 10 year old Will Ashcroft to join our U12s academy as an under-age invitee and here is an article from 2018 when Will Ashcroft was awarded the U14 Player of the Year for our academy. He moved to Melbourne the following year as a 15 year old but there's no denying we spent a considerable amount of time developing Will yet he will be playing for our crosstown rival next year. That's where the frustration comes from on my part.

When we first got our own side I was convinced that with all the expat Southerners up here that the club would become an AFL power. 12 years later I now realise that we are a minor club destined to be a feeder for the larger clubs and always on the wrong side of the umpires whistle. Basically that means years in the wilderness broken up by the occasional bright light.

I’m at the point that I just can’t support the club any further until Dew is moved on and I see some real change. And to some degree I have lost passion for the game

When we first got our own side I was convinced that with all the expat Southerners up here that the club would become an AFL power. 12 years later I now realise that we are a minor club destined to be a feeder for the larger clubs and always on the wrong side of the umpires whistle. Basically that means years in the wilderness broken up by the occasional bright light.

I’m at the point that I just can’t support the club any further until Dew is moved on and I see some real change. And to some degree I have lost passion for the game
The way the games played at the moment I think a lot of people will lose passion for the game. The Stand and the dissent rule are crazy.

Shoutout to Gold Coaster Cody Simpson for completing an unbelievable transition from pop star to professional swimmer who qualified for both the 2022 Commonwealth Games and 2022 World Championships tonight. A remarkable achievement for someone who stopped swimming for about 10 years and only got back into swimming around two years ago!

I believe he's back living on the GC these days so maybe we can get him down to Metricon for an upcoming home game and perhaps even get a Suns scarf around his neck. That'd be a nice local touch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back