VFL Grand Final - Footscray vs Box Hill Hawks @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Not Cyril's fault of course, but if I was a Box Hill player, I'd be dirty that he was left on the bench for the last quarter. I realise why they did it and all that, but I'd still be pissed.

A grand final win at any level is good. Our development in the VFL has followed a clear plan with guys like Talia spending a whole year there to settle and develop confidence in himself rather than being smoked every second week in the AFL.

Hopefully this win is a boost for that development

Yeah, hardly a morale boost for Cyril either. Brought in for his first ever VFL game and loses his side the GF.
Like I said, I understand why, but I don't think it answered many questions today. If anything, it showed the little genius is very underdone even with three quarters under his belt.

Flaws in the VFL concept showed today. Clarko and Hawthorn have a responsibility to prepare Hawthorn for next week as best they can. That meant not playing Sewell and mcevoy and using the game as a fitness test for rioli.

Can't blame rioli - that would have been very awkward for him and he'd know he'd be resented but it clearly was not his call. His employer who pays him big dollars made that call.

But it stinks for the box hill players and will test the relationship between hawthorn and box hill. Really at the end of the day we should just have a reserves comp and an independent vfl.

How has Rioli cost us a flag today?? Not his fault that the club are making a decision to keep him off

True, but do you think Cyril will feel that way? Looking around at his team mates after the game I reckon he'll feel like he should have just said he wasn't ready.

Like I said, I understand why, but I don't think it answered many questions today. If anything, it showed the little genius is very underdone even with three quarters under his belt.
They can't pick him next week surely. Have no qualms about how he looked fitness wise, he would've been told to hold back, but his touch looks so far off. And that was in a game with pressure will be a hell of a lot less than what next week holds.

Can't be picked.

Congratulations Doggies fans, enjoying seeing all the old time fans there wearing old Footscray VFL gear :)

Schoenmachers was absolutely terrible today, which i guess guarantees Jesus will be playing in the AFL GF next week :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely nobody should blame Cyril himself, it's not his call.

But that's a horrible thing to do. I know they're the reserves but they have played and worked all year together.

Disgraceful. At the very least they should return the GF to next Friday night to stop that sort of shit happening again.

Great match to watch and fantastic to see Footscray win a premiership. Also nice to see them actually called Footscray again. It's always been my second club and their supporters deserve this long awaited success.

The situation with Riloi is discraceful though. Box Hill was in a winning position until their players tired due to lack of rotations and to have a perfectly fit player sitting out the last quarter and a bit simply to pander to Hawthorn's interests is a bad look. To Box Hill and their player's who aren't on an AFL list a VFL flag is the ultimate prize they've strived for all year, and Hawthorn's self interest has played a large part in robbing them all of that success.

True, but do you think Cyril will feel that way? Looking around at his team mates after the game I reckon he'll feel like he should have just said he wasn't ready.

He was ready, he wasn't off because he couldn't run it out, he was off because it was the instruction from the Hawks admin to protect against a potential injury

They can't pick him next week surely. Have no qualms about how he looked fitness wise, he would've been told to hold back, but his touch looks so far off. And that was in a game with pressure will be a hell of a lot less than what next week holds.

Can't be picked.
Been out all day so I don't know what the news is on Jordan Lewis, but if he's not right, I'd be playing Sewell ahead of Rioli. Anyway, not the thread for it I guess. Love the look of Jong - handballs a lot and needs to improve his kicking, but the tools are there.

The dogs best players were either guys who are proven not be good enough at the next level or have severe question marks when it comes to making the next step. I know the club hasn't had much.to cheer about in it's history but I still don't understand their elation, it's vfl who cares.

The dogs best players were either guys who are proven not be good enough at the next level or have severe question marks when it comes to making the next step. I know the club hasn't had much.to cheer about in it's history but I still don't understand their elation, it's vfl who cares.
fans I mean not the players, totally understand the players elation.

There's no such thing as a bad grand final win. I bet you'd be pleased if the Roy boys won whatever shitty amateur division they have been relegated to these days

He was ready, he wasn't off because he couldn't run it out, he was off because it was the instruction from the Hawks admin to protect against a potential injury
Hey i thought Box Hill does not answer to Hawthorn, that's why clubs have gone stand alone because the affiliate side plays the players how they see fit. that's why the dogs did it, because they couldn't control where they played and how.

A grand final win at any level is good. Our development in the VFL has followed a clear plan with guys like Talia spending a whole year there to settle and develop confidence in himself rather than being smoked every second week in the AFL.

Hopefully this win is a boost for that development
Still remember our 2002 VFL win mate a sprinkling of elder players teaching our young players how to win.
It will do a lot for the development of the young Dog players :):thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Grand Final - Footscray vs Box Hill Hawks @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back