Autopsy VFL - Roast, Toast and Discussion (Sandringham next week)

Best on Ground vs North Melbourne

• Corey Ellis

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Anthony Miles

Votes: 16 72.7%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Ivan Soldo

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Patrick Naish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Noah Balta

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Tyson Stengle

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Ryan Garthwaite

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Brandon Ellis

• Liam Baker

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Connor Menadue

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Mabior Chol

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Ben Miller

• Callum Moore

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not travelling to some place I've never heard of to watch our seconds, you'd of thought that the VFL would of fixture our home game at PRO while the seniors were on the Worst Coast.
It’s a boutique ground with a nice fish and chips shop near I think Hampton railway station. Love the journey out there if I can make it as it’s often a good day out.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-05-13/vfl-tigers-rise-early-to-eclipse-roos

Are you a sparrow or an owl?”

Richmond VFL coach, Craig McRae asked this question of his players a day before their early morning Mother’s Day game against North Melbourne.

Preparation is key in football, being switched on mentally and having the right mindset is crucial, and sometimes tricky to achieve at 9:35 am on a Sunday.

Well, the VFL Tigers brought a ruthless and relentless mindset to Etihad Stadium which equated to them slamming six unanswered goals in a blistering 19-minute burst in the opening term.

McRae felt that last week’s loss to Footscray was a bit of an 80–20 performance, with the Tigers’ just slightly off and the Bulldogs took full advantage.

Intent and application from the get-go were imperative, and the Tigers displayed a truck-load of both.

Richmond’s trademark pressure strangled the Roos, trapping them in their defensive half and the Tigers pounced and capitalised at nearly every opportunity.

What would have pleased McRae greatly, was the work of the collective to create opportunities.

Budding wingman, James Fletcher’s hustle and harassment lead to Brandon Wood getting the Tigers’ first major of the morning, which really set the tone.

Another to set the tone in the opening term, was the smooth moving Corey Ellis, who’s added a layer of grunt to his game in 2018, which is developing week-on-week.

Ellis extracted the ball from the centre square on four occasions in the first quarter, which went along to helping the Tigers play the game in their half and on their term.

Wood was elusive and dangerous inside forward 50, netting two opening-term majors and causing the Roos plenty of headaches.

Liam Baker obviously had no problem with the early morning start, as he goalled from just inside the arc, which kept the score ticking along.

Anthony Miles was prolific as ever in the opening term, but also found space inside 50 and showcased his effectiveness in front of goal.

His first major looked relatively simple on face value, but the timing and clean hands needed to rove the ball at pace and snap truly should not be underestimated.

Miles was to add another before the quarter was out, along with electric small forwards, Jake Aarts and Tyson Stengle.

Aarts especially, really set the tone with his aggression and class inside 50 and exemplifies all that’s good about Richmond VFL.

The game tightened up in the second term, with scoring not coming as freely as in the first, but the pressure was still fierce.

The Tigers were able to find goals through Noah Balta, Aarts and Shai Bolton, while the Roos kicked two of their own.

Miles continued to rack up the touches, finishing the half with 20 disposals, six clearances, four tackles and two goals.

The third term saw the return of a Richmond goal spree and a trio of majors to Tyson Stengle in an electric burst at the backend of the quarter.

It was trademark Stengle: strong, powerful, elusive and silky, as the prolific goal-kicker showcased the bevy of tricks he has at his disposal.

The Tigers banged home seven goals in the third stanza, which set-up another flurry of goals in the final term.

Richmond made the most of the shortened final term, slotting four goals with Brandon Wood and Shaun Mannagh (two goals) adding to their goal tallies, and Corey Ellis capping off a brilliant game.

Anthony Miles again found himself at the top of the stats sheet, finishing with a game-high 41 disposals, while Brandon Wood (26), debutant Charlie Thompson (25), Liam Baker (24) and Corey Ellis (23) were handy midfield lieutenants.

In front of goal, the Tigers once again shared the load, with Wood slotting a game-high four goals, while Tyson Stengle (3), Shaun Mannagh (3), Miles, Shai Bolton and Jake Aarts all snagged two goals apiece.

RICHMOND 7.3 10.7 17.11 21.13 (139)

NTH MELB 1.3 3.5 5.8 7.9 (51)
Thanks Charlie and Miles would have finished with 50 touches if the timer hadn’t accidentally hit the final siren button 18 minutes into the last.

TigerImposter or guru , this Brandon wood kid is starting to reg knock up mid 20s a week. Any chance he’d be up for a rookie spot ? And who’s this Charlie Thompson kid, fair effort 25p first vfl game , if he an academy selection, ffs , we’ve seen enough
Yes he will be on our list next season . Charlie Thompson is a West Coburg boy who I don’t know much about , but Gun reckons he’s a beast. I haven’t seen my W Coburg mates this year to inquire about him as they’re suffering from our Premiership hangover.

A brilliant game apparently....that's certainly encouraging signs...as well as being a handy midfield lieutenant...glowing praise for CEllis!
Apparently. Yeah that’s what I heard.
He’s being talked up like Ben Lennon was last year. Will not play a senior game for us again imo.
Corey has added a layer of grunt to his game which is developing week by week in 2018. What’s he done put the Tin Man’s undies on?
Woods Arts Baker and a first gamer Thompson all look well ahead of him. This game is the type of game Corey will thrive on as it was bruise free and ideal for front runners like him.

He’s being talked up like Ben Lennon was last year. Will not play a senior game for us again imo.
Corey has added a layer of grunt to his game which is developing week by week in 2018. What’s he done put the Tin Man’s undies on?
Woods Arts Baker and a first gamer Thompson all look well ahead of him. This game is the type of game Corey will thrive on as it was bruise free and ideal for front runners like him.
Apparently?!?
Nah from credible and more knowledgeable sources CEllis played well...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The geniuses that gave the match report...
Yeah , but as I said they talked up Lennon last year in a hope somebody would bite. It’s strategic salesmanship. Go and read all the post vfl game reports of 2017 and you will see the similarities. Corey played his average 20 odd possessions game against below standard opposition. As I said all those more inexperienced other names out performed him. Move on until we actually see something of note and until then I believe his days are over at PRO.

Last edited:
Great way to blow any last bit of credibility you might have. You say Thompson is well ahead of Ellis, but admit that you know bugger all about him:

Yes he will be on our list next season . Charlie Thompson is a West Coburg boy who I don’t know much about , but Gun reckons he’s a beast. I haven’t seen my W Coburg mates this year to inquire about him as they’re suffering from our Premiership hangover.

Not only that but you didn't even attend the game to form that opinion based on anything you actually saw:

TigerImposter said:
Just got home from U9 can we see it on a stream?

better-to-remain-silent-and-be-thought-a-foolthan-to-speak-and-remove-all-doubt-fools-quote.jpg

Exactly as I said at the start of the year.
Wanted to see Corey develop bulk and become more aggressive.
A major talent, saw him kick a ball 60 metres off a step.
Open spaces of Optus should be a natural fit.

Last edited:
Great way to blow any last bit of credibility you might have. You say Thompson is well ahead of Ellis, but admit that you know bugger all about him:

Not only that but you didn't even attend the game to form that opinion based on anything you actually saw:

better-to-remain-silent-and-be-thought-a-foolthan-to-speak-and-remove-all-doubt-fools-quote.jpg
Thompson was given big raps after playing his first vfl game and showed more upside from reports from people that saw him play. Considering Corey has been on afl list for his fourth season Thompson definitely out performed him in his first game. Also Gun gave a glowing report of him last week so I wasn’t in the dark.
Now move on as what would you know as you just read the stat sheet.You lead the lack of credibility stakes around here as you can’t follow posts and come up with stupidity to attack posters. Move on as you have nothing to argue my point , but personal attacks.
You’re a lightweight.

Alright lads, being in tassie we don't get the vfl on tv but from what I see and read it seems as tho Liam baker could potentially overtake Bolton and Stengle as next in line for a small forward role.. obviously doesn't have the freakish talent of Bolton or maybe even the smarts of Stengle but just seems more likely to display the necessary traits required to fit into our system, is this an accurate assessment or are the stats/comments around the kid misleading?

You feel for Miles, he's way too good for VFL level, but it's hard to see where he fits in the 1s.

With Corey, I get the feeling that he's definitely good enough, just devoid of confidence when he comes up to AFL level. Hopefully they leave him in the middle for a month and let him dominate, and then bring him in brimming with confidence when a chance provides.

Happy to leave Brandon there until he really hits form and starts to take games apart at that level, which he should be doing.

Baker is putting together a very solid start for a tiny fella no one had heard of before we rookied him right at the death.

Quality of our VFL guys is good and constantly improving, leaves us in a really good place with the VFL program.

Alright lads, being in tassie we don't get the vfl on tv but from what I see and read it seems as tho Liam baker could potentially overtake Bolton and Stengle as next in line for a small forward role.. obviously doesn't have the freakish talent of Bolton or maybe even the smarts of Stengle but just seems more likely to display the necessary traits required to fit into our system, is this an accurate assessment or are the stats/comments around the kid misleading?
I wish the coaches would encourage him to kick more , looks to have the wheels to move I reckon he kicks it <40% of the time ,,if he wants to impress, get those wheels moving and kick it

Thompson was given big raps after playing his first vfl game and showed more upside from reports from people that saw him play. Considering Corey has been on afl list for his fourth season Thompson definitely out performed him in his first game. Also Gun gave a glowing report of him last week so I wasn’t in the dark.
Now move on as what would you know as you just read the stat sheet.You lead the lack of credibility stakes around here as you can’t follow posts and come up with stupidity to attack posters. Move on as you have nothing to argue my point , but personal attacks.
You’re a lightweight.
At least I can sit here and say any opinion I share about games is based on actually watching them. Once again you based your opinion on what others have seen not what you've actually seen with your own eyes. Credibility shot.

Hello everyone, great day at that horrible horrendous stadium
Called etihad, , sat directly behind our bench today had a fantastic view
Of proceedings, pity the roof was closed as i am a true nature lover And
Hate being trapped indoors
The first quarter was electric, fast paced, 18 energised tigers.
Going hell bent on destruction, pity the roo who got in our way
He was squashed ,battered, bruised and buried
Miles- cellis- soldo , started the rampage in the center square
Wood, miles, aarts also impacted the score board
Every player was switched on early , and played the
Richmond Way,

Second quarter the pace eased a little ( almost to be expected )
Still there were flashes of brilliance from balta, bolton ,aarts stengle
And fletcher,, our defensive efforts were strong, sure, and bold
Setting up many attacks , we just couldnt put it on the scoreboard
Miller, and garth are combining like Astbury and rance
Naish was busy as was fletcher, mannagh and aarts

After half time, the intensity almost blew the roof off this shit stadium
Almost a complete replica of the 1st quarter, running in waves
Sweeping handballs, blocks ,shepherds , great voice calling to the team mates. Brilliant fast awesome tough footy, a great joy to watch

Last quarter even though it was bill shortened, by 12 minutes
We again held sway and ran away easy winners ( hopefully that wont happen to shorten).
Players ,
Miles - best on gound -' was everywhere, hard ball gets, clearances, goals
He does it all young anthony, never shirks an issue, love the way he goes about his footy, never drops his head, he hasso much pride in his self, hos footy and his team mates and coaches
CELLIS- was very good, in thr the middle with milesy , clean efficient reads the ball well and uses it with his subtle skill, he is a mid or nothing
SOLDO- gets better with every game had a great battle with pruest, i thought ivan won the battle, he now looks like a footballer, moves like a footballer, and his reading and understanding of the game improves with every game
I think next year, he will be a very good afl ruckman
STENGLE- Class, evasiveness, cant be tackled, agile, smart, beautiful kick
And a very natural footballer,
BOLTON - played up the ground on the wing, looked good with more space to run around in, was not his best game, nor his worst game, but i think he needs to be played up the ground , where he can use his smarts and pace
BELLIS- was ok , never really broke out of second gear
GARTWAITE- Was the super stopper down back doesnt do much wrong
Reads the ball beautifully in the air, knows when to punch when to mark
Kicking is very sound
MILLER - good combined well with garth, long term player, really nice kid
BALTA- OK didn't do much, but what he does do he do very nicely
NAISH- was good, tracking very nicely looks a natural hb flanker
Wont play this year, good long term prospect
MOORE- was ok , kicking needs work
CHOL- OK , some of his ruck work was very nice ( especially center square)
Quiet around the ground
MENADUE- Very good, took the game on good pace good skills
BAKER - Like this kid, good smart footballer good pace very hard, great tackler, knows what to do with ball in his hand, also gets mad when he makes a mistake, one to watch.
Vfl players
WOOD- Can sometimes butcher the ball, but he is very tough , hard , loves the indide ball can go fwd and kick a goal,
AARTS- gee he has improved since last year, brilliant tackler, great pace, reads the ball well,
Fletcher, mannagh, ,Silvester, were all very good all quick love to tackle and love the hard ball,
Was also impressed with the debutant , Thompson played very well ,,, any questions go for it

Last edited:
Back