Hawthorn
Geelong
Essendon

Working class battlers:

Collingwood
Footscray
Saint kilda
North

Im undecided on richmond they for mine are on the fence kind of working class background but i still think they had and have that wealthy trendy edge to them so ill say a bit of both.

the groups are in order too.

So the most wealthy was carlton and most working class was collingwood

Still think essendon and geelong have wealthy back grounds to them even though geelong is a hole of a place and essendon along with melbourne were the other 2 wealthy toffs for the melbourne teams

Hawthorn were always wealthy toffs just more successfull then melbourne thats all.

Both were toffs due to the area around hawthorn as well its was liberal as.

Like footscray as well for the battlers just the area was battlersville.

i have stkilda as working class as they are from moorabin which is a industrial area and like got that tradie feel about them.

North ill say was the least battler until the 1970s when they went corporate then they became toffs.

The classic wealthy toffs and battler clash was traditionally carlton v collingwood but you could have melbourne v collingwood in there as well but for mine is blues and pies.

Geelong was a mix of rural, working class and middle class.

Very middle class club these days.
And if the fortunes of Eddie Maguire epitomise those of Collingwood, then the Pies are no longer working class battlers but a "new money" team. How many current Collingwood players come from Collingwood? Darcy Moore is a product of an elite private school

And if the fortunes of Eddie Maguire epitomise those of Collingwood, then the Pies are no longer working class battlers but a "new money" team. How many current Collingwood players come from Collingwood? Darcy Moore is a product of an elite private school

Working class clubs always had private school players though.

Collingwood would have had a lot of Catholic school players for a long time in its early years.

Working class clubs always had private school players though.

Collingwood would have had a lot of Catholic school players for a long time in its early years.
I'm sure. But to say Collingwood is still a working class 'battlers' club is a misnomer now. Bit like Eddie telling us he a battler from Broadie! He might have been, but he isn't anymore

I'm sure. But to say Collingwood is still a working class 'battlers' club is a misnomer now. Bit like Eddie telling us he a battler from Broadie! He might have been, but he isn't anymore
Going back even further, the late Ernie Sigley. Made a career out of being the little Aussie battler from Footscray, but lived in Glen Iris and drove a $90,000 Mercedes.

I agree with timo, the working class clubs should be relegated to the VFL.

That’s what he’s getting at isn’t it?

Geelong was a mix of rural, working class and middle class.

Very middle class club these days.
Middle class you say, what measure are you using or more importantly that of the OP, who imho is running an argument from earlier than the B&W TV era as if it applies this century.

Middle class you say, what measure are you using or more importantly that of the OP, who imho is running an argument from earlier than the B&W TV era as if it applies this century.

Because I live in Geelong and I know their home games are most definitely not packed to the rafters with people from Corio, Norlane and Whittington.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still think cats are really well financially backed since around early 90s and continue to be the case.

but you are right the place is a dump and only a few nice blocks there on the bay foreshore then walk a bit further back and its a trash hole.

But as a club always been well off with the $

thats why i have them in the toffs group

the real middle class club for mines stkilda

tigers used to be in the 90s but become more of a toff club

collingwood yes have alot of $ but i feel is more better management in terms of feel its still got that harder working class about them just well set up i guess out of good managment with the $ now but wasnt the case circa 2011-2020 hence the change also in the 1990s even in 1998 they asked for a bit of a help from the afl but they knocked it all back in our faces. Typical

still think cats are really well financially backed since around early 90s and continue to be the case.

but you are right the place is a dump and only a few nice blocks there on the bay foreshore then walk a bit further back and its a trash hole.

collingwood yes have alot of $ but i feel is more better management in terms of feel its still got that harder working class about them just well set up i guess out of good managment with the $ now but wasnt the case circa 2011-2020 hence the change also in the 1990s even in 1998 they asked for a bit of a help from the afl but they knocked it all back in our faces. Typical

You're full of shit.

Most of Geelong is middle class suburbs.

It's the Melbournites flocking down here that have turned the place to shit.

Why yes, after a delightful game of football me and the other gentleman love to stop by the local diner for some edibles and refreshments.

4462b3536a308cc0c09fa5d77caff409

Oh please, know your history. You do realise the club went into crisis in 1999 under a mountain of debt which forced massive funding cuts to the football department, it was so dire that Garry Hocking changed his name legally to Whiskas In order to raise money to offset the $750,000 running losses ($7.5 million total losses) for the club. it wasn’t until about 2004 when Frank Costa had stabilised the credit position that any real money could be allocated to the fitness & performance programme.

Last edited:
Oh please, know your history. You do realise the club went into crisis in 1999 under a mountain of debt which forced massive funding cuts to the football department, it was so dire that Garry Hocking changed his name legally to Whiskas In order to raise money to offset the $750,000 running losses ($7.5 million total losses) for the club. it wasn’t until about 2004 when Frank Costa had stabilised the credit position that any real money could be allocated to the fitness & performance programme.

Cooky jetting in made a difference,

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic clubs in a traditional sense wealthy toffs and working class battlers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back