Society/Culture Victoria Cross winner Ben Roberts-Smith - Allegations of war crimes

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't want a soldier smart enough to start questioning the morality of war.

It matters in two other respects: on a functional workplace level, you don't want them to be so over-empowered in thinking skills that they are unable to take necessary immediate actions; nor do you want them to develop a critical analysis of authority more broadly.

I'm an armchair expert, having read a number of books penned by ex-SAS guys (including the somewhat fictional Bravo Two Zero guys). These guys are usually very intelligent, but have the personality characteristics to turn the morality switch off. Some find it hard to turn it back on.

Has BRS got compromising photos of KS or something? Stokes is starting to look like a bit of a pelican funding this turd.

It matters in two other respects: on a functional workplace level, you don't want them to be so over-empowered in thinking skills that they are unable to take necessary immediate actions; nor do you want them to develop a critical analysis of authority more broadly.

Imagine being high enough in the chain of command and realising that underlings are required by law, and design, to obey your every command.

Last edited:
Because you might want to use some of the evidence to threaten witness in the future?

If you dob on me I’ll send the photos I have of you to the press.

That’s most likely true, but bury the incriminating evidence in his own backyard, genius move lol. Yumi Steynes was right about this woman bashing turd. All brawn and no brains. If you were BRS right now you’d be getting really nervous at KS not returning texts straight away wouldn’t you. He’s in a very very poor position.

The odds of BRS somehow prevailing over and ‘destroying’ C9, 2 Newspapers, AFP, ABC plus a former GF he bashed are impossibly remote. Lawyers arguing over the semantics only delays the inevitable.

One of his other long-time pet projects has been Basil Zempilas so make of that what you will

BRS commits war crimes, and Baz commits ear crimes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting that none of the 'regulars' are in here defending him. I wonder if that signals how unpopular Stokes' stance in defending BRS at all cost is among the general community.

It’s hard to gauge public opinion. If you have a look at the 60 Minutes and other news FB pages most of the comments are very pro-BRS. A lot of Australians will support their “heroes” without thought.

I think opinion polls in the US showed a similar amount of support of William Calley, the US Army officer responsible for the My Lai massacre. And that was after all the info about the mass shootings of civilians and kids and gang rapes was known to the public.

Same with BRS and his band of merry men. Their killings are fairly well documented and backed up by even witness evidence (and physical evidence too) at this stage but still so many Australians will continue to “support the diggers”. IMO deep down they love him because he “dropped brown c*nts”. The typical quote on social media goes like “we sent him over there to kill these people so what’s the big deal?”

Well that's the thing. We (the government) sent him over there to drop brown campaigners. He is very good at his job. Too good, he went over the edge. He became... unsound.

At the end of the day, when the chips are down, at the last kick before the final siren, BRS is precisely the guy with a gun you want defending you.

The SAS was used inappropriately and destructively by our government, the wrong tasking and lack of strong supervision and oversight, and almost continuous deployments meant boundaries were pushed to the point where numerous operators went rogue.

He deserves to be hung out to dry, especially for his actions shown above, no doubt about that. As does the "want me to drop this campaigner" guy. There's just shades of grey to be considered here, it's not all black and white.

At the end of the day, when the chips are down, at the last kick before the final siren, BRS is precisely the guy with a gun you want defending you.

Even though he may later threaten you when you expose him for war crimes.

Unless he decides to just shoot you to make his job easier.

His SAS mates who exposed his criminality would beg to differ.

I doubt it. Like he’s noted Stokes has deep pockets and wants to fight this case to the end. There’s no reason to drop the action, they’ll only lose money. Stokes has two motivations. Firstly his assault on a competitor. But also his ideological desire to have his hero band of killers go uncriticised in Australian culture. Say anything even slightly bad about “Australia’s heroes” and you’ll be sued into oblivion.
Stokes' motivation in all this is to preserve the value, monetary and otherwise, of the mountain of VCs he has paid outlandish amounts for.

Maybe now people might realise that there is nothing particularly noteworthy about being a trained killer. Maybe now young men won't be coerced into signing up to wars which are none of our or their business. All this in the hope of being posthumously lauded on the anniversary of the second greatest military catastrophe in our history of blood lust (exceeded only by the later carnage in France).

In case they get on a rickety boat and invade us

Facebook memes are getting even worse

Still getting the "defending our country is ugly, we shouldn't smear our heroes"

Now getting "don't care what they did, they are heroes"

Remove this Banner Ad

Society/Culture Victoria Cross winner Ben Roberts-Smith - Allegations of war crimes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back