Votes Rd 3 Vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

5 Waters
4 Kerr
3 Wirra
2 McKinley
1 Priddis

Didn`t give Kerr the top votes I was alittle disappointed in some of his kicking and decision making,Hardness and attack on the ball was very good as usual.

Why pick on Priddis when there are many more who are far more deserving of your criticism than he is?

Well, this thread inspired the criticism. 90% of posters have him in their best 3 players for us today (and almost every week).

I understand he gets the ball a lot in close but what does he actually DO with it? And, what else does he do? I mean he takes about 2 marks a game which means he isnt a link up player. So its basically contested ball, often scrappy disposal and nothing else?

He got the ball a lot. He kicked a goal after a 50m penalty. What did he do to warrant being a better player than say Waters (many had him ahead of him)? What did he do to be ahead of Kerr (the post I was originally responding to didnt have Kerr in the best 5 because of poor disposal :rolleyes:), what did he do to be ahead of even Hunter (who until injured did more positive running than the Pridd)?

Again, my criticism is based on my view that votes in this game (and others) rate him a gun in the eyes of our fans and he simply isnt. He doesnt hurt the opposition. Modern footy is built around guys who can break lines, run fast, have good skills and hurt the opposition. Priddis does none of those things.

I do agree he is "only" a 27 game player but he is 23, a year younger than Kerr and the same age as players like Adam Selwood & Staker, so he's hardly a kid. He is also playing almost exactly the same way he played in 2005 & 2006 with Subi (I am a Subi member who has watched him for years). A supreme accumulator who has a role but who isnt really damaging. He has always been that and has not changed in any real way. I dont believe he will develop into anything more.

I've answered your questions, now answer mine...when will he be getting that tagger?

Priddis is a massively impressive young man, who has used hard work to get everything he has got out of football. He is a man of impeccable character.

But as a footballer I just think he is the kind of good ordinary player that typically only plays key roles in mid table or bottom sides. I just think our continual rating of him as a gun is inaccurate. I also think that when awarding votes, maybe concentrating on players who actually hurt the opposition or lift our side (when they dont have a specific defensive role which he doesnt) is useful.

When we needed a lift today, it was Kerr, it was Waters, early in the third it was Staker, at different stages it was Wirra or Hunter in stages. Priddis got the ball a lot but at no stage did he hurt Freo. Be honest, how many times today did anyone think "Priddis is on fire, we are a chance here" or frankly even just a "Priddis is on fire"?

But he should get 4 or 5 votes?

I like Priddis, as a 4th or 5th option through the middle. Currently he gets way more time in the middle than his skills warrant, which is either an indictment on where our midfield is at, an indictment on our coaches or I am missing all those brilliant things he does....

I shall now leave him alone to get the praise he deserves. :)

Eagle87, as far as when is Priddis going to get a tag, how the hell would I know, you would have to ask an opposition coach that one.

How was what Kerr did any better than what Priddis contributed today? Kerr may like to attempt the impossible to pull off manouver, or go for a flashy run down the ground, but as eye catching as this stuff is, the truth is he turns the ball over nine times out of ten.

Kerrs foot passes are terrible and he sells his nearest team mate into trouble with a hand pass to a stationary player time and time again. In fact he is one of the worst offenders when it comes to this.

Priddis is a good ordinary player as you described him, and teams are built around those types of dependable players who will do the work week in week out.

Who really cares about the votes given out on a website? At the end of the day, when a team gets beaten, it is usually because they haven't had too many winners across the ground, therefore who gets the votes is often very subjective. Personally I would rather give recognition to the guy at the bottom of the pack, doing the tackling and generally working hard, than the guy who takes four bounces down the centre of the ground and then turns the ball over.

I would be intersted to know who you think would be the four or five better players in our team for the centre?

Eagle87, as far as when is Priddis going to get a tag, how the hell would I know, you would have to ask an opposition coach that one.

How was what Kerr did any better than what Priddis contributed today? Kerr may like to attempt the impossible to pull off manouver, or go for a flashy run down the ground, but as eye catching as this stuff is, the truth is he turns the ball over nine times out of ten.

Kerrs foot passes are terrible and he sells his nearest team mate into trouble with a hand pass to a stationary player time and time again. In fact he is one of the worst offenders when it comes to this.

Priddis is a good ordinary player as you described him, and teams are built around those types of dependable players who will do the work week in week out.

Who really cares about the votes given out on a website? At the end of the day, when a team gets beaten, it is usually because they haven't had too many winners across the ground, therefore who gets the votes is often very subjective. Personally I would rather give recognition to the guy at the bottom of the pack, doing the tackling and generally working hard, than the guy who takes four bounces down the centre of the ground and then turns the ball over.

I would be intersted to know who you think would be the four or five better players in our team for the centre?

Re the tag, isnt that making my point? I mean if the opposition dont see tagging him as necessary doesnt that say something about his effectiveness?

Re Kerr - he has always had unreliable disposal at times BUT he gets all over the ground. Running back to support, often provides an outlet in space for defenders and runs forward hard also. Mate, Kerr is inspirational and if you cant see what he does then I am sorry....

Kerr is our best midfielder clearly. Our other 2 or 3 that I would have first crack in the middle before Priddis as our 4th or 5th player through there will depend on whether we are tagging anyone but I would have Stinger/Selwood (Adam) as our taggers (i.e. one of them) and I would like to see Hurn in there, even Embley/Fletcher at times. But I would rather start with Kerr/Stinger(selwood) and Hurn than Priddis. But his (Priddis) starting in there exposes our weakness (which maybe what you are saying) in that we have buggar all attacking/fast/line breaking midfielders as alternate options.

So I would have the order as Kerr, Selwood/Stenglein, Hurn, Embley/Fletcher then Priddis. But we need to get someone other than Kerr in the middle who can either run a line, kick for distance and accuracy and maybe do some damage to the opposition.

The scary thing is we are somewhat bereft of these options and as I stated in an earlier pre-season post we are going to have to deal with going from a position where we could play man on man and wait for our brilliant trio to both win the ball and run away from the contest to a situation in which we may have to create overlap runners from half back like Freo (and others) try and do to compensate for the lack of breakaway runners in our midfield.

At present we arent getting much line breaking run from anyone in the centre square outside Kerr and we either have to get Hurn, Embley, Nico, Staker & god forbid even Fletcher (who all have flaws but they can run and break a line) into the middle or we have to get them in the back half to run past in support. The second option often involves using extra numbers behind the ball resulting in us often being outnumbered in our forward half particularly if we ____ around with 12 handballs to try and find space and zig zag across the ground - folks welcome to your 2008 West Coast Eagles. ;)

People will say that playing players like Embley/Fletcher or even a LeCras when fit, in the middle ahead of Priddis robs us of a ball getter and we might lose the clearances. Well, winning the clearances at present isnt working because of the quality of ball we are getting out (i.e. often shit). So its silk (and even I laughed when using that in regard to Fletcher) or hardness. The days of both (i.e Judd, Kerr &Cousins) at the same time seem over.

We need someone in the club to stand up as a line breaking running mid. I am unsure who this is but watching Palmer (in that first half especially) was hard to take.

Ideally our rotation would be Kerr/Tagger/Other silky line breaking runner then Hurn, Priddis etc. At present we may need to run Hurn through there and hope that Masten or Ebert or someone quickly develops into a quality skillful mid.

On Hurn, he kicked a goal today and he set up McKinleys first with a brilliant 50+m pass on the guys chest. He did this from half back (as far as I could tell). How much more damaging could he be given an attacking mids role where he has less defensive responsibility?

Over and out ;)

You were sitting at a different ground without TV then I presume?

He is a crab. A very good accumulator who's first option is a handball backwards.

Bizarrely, he is quite a good kick for goal.

I am not saying he shouldnt get a game. Just that him as an automatic first choice centre square player is a concession as to how far we have fallen in that area.

He wouldnt start in there in at least 50% of the other teams..which says a fair bit about where we are at.

Come one mate, your embarassing youself, Priddis was one of our best tonight and has been one of our best this season.
His disposal isn't one of a Judd/Cousins quality but yo'd be kidding to expect that from a second year player.

He is a gun. Can only improve.

Too tired to really concentrate on all that right now, but the only thing I would say is that playing Fletcher or Embley before Priddis (as their form stands now) is pure folly.

I spent a good deal of time watching Fletcher today and he was so far off silk it wasn't funny. He would not know a contest if it bit him on the arse and I dont know if he actually ran at all today (fast jog maybe as close as he got). Embley doesn't even want to be out there.

Hurn is untried in this role but I would be more than willing to see what he has got. Big body, lovely kick and competes, would be happy to see him in the centre.

Good night.:thumbsu:

Well, this thread inspired the criticism. 90% of posters have him in their best 3 players for us today (and almost every week).

I understand he gets the ball a lot in close but what does he actually DO with it? And, what else does he do? I mean he takes about 2 marks a game which means he isnt a link up player. So its basically contested ball, often scrappy disposal and nothing else?

So when he gets a clearance in the middle, froma a bonce, in congestion, he is supposed to hit up a target 25 meters out from goal?

So when he gets a clearance in the middle, froma a bonce, in congestion, he is supposed to hit up a target 25 meters out from goal?

If you think thats what I am saying then your an idiot.

How does he rate against the second best mid at every other AFL side?

Think about that and get back to me.

He is a good ordinary player playing as our number 2 mid. He isnt good enough to be a number 2 mid in any side with finals aspirations.

Come one mate, your embarassing youself, Priddis was one of our best tonight and has been one of our best this season.
His disposal isn't one of a Judd/Cousins quality but yo'd be kidding to expect that from a second year player.

He is a gun. Can only improve.

We have ridiculed the Fremantle midfield for years as a bunch of slow short people who dont complement each other and have average skills. Each player in that midfield could/can be defended on the basis of some redeeming feature but collectively they are, well, ridiculed by us regularly.

Priddis is a good bloke and a good footballer. He is also slow, lacks hurt factor and would look at home in Freo's midfield.

I dont dispute that his effort and his work rate and his possessions (volume) have been great. I dont share your optimism re "the second year player" stuff. He is a third year player technically and he is 23 years old, so the normal development of a second/third year player is less likely.

Look, I like the bloke but he isnt a gun and he cant be the second banana in a top 4 midfield. He just isnt good enough. I am not saying he should be dropped or anything like that, just that we should be more realistic about what we have with him.

To ask again a question I have posed several times tonight, what exactly did he do that stood out tonight and hurt the opposition? What part of his game had Harvey drawing up plans to counter him? What was it that Freo did/tried to do to counter the influence of the guy who was apparently our second best player tonight?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see I am losing this battle with the board faithful and I hope I am wrong. When opposition coaches start saying "We've gotta tag Priddis, he's killing us" then I will know I'm wrong. When do you reckon that will be?

Yes, you've copped a bit from the 'board faithfull' but I reckon you're right :)

You've likened Priddis to McManus in terms of being a player, a person, a team-man etc and I agree with all that. He's someone that everyone likes and admires, but he's still a very average footballer for mine.

For my votes, and this is about who put in for most of the 4 quarters, and were somehow effective

5. Kerr
4. Waters
3. McKinley
2. Wirra
1. Hurn (raffle that spot though..)

Yes, you've copped a bit from the 'board faithfull' but I reckon you're right :)

You've likened Priddis to McManus in terms of being a player, a person, a team-man etc and I agree with all that. He's someone that everyone likes and admires, but he's still a very average footballer for mine.
Priddis is a lot better then mcmanus. But not as good as many say he is. Getting the ball isn't everything.

To ask again a question I have posed several times tonight, what exactly did he do that stood out tonight and hurt the opposition? What part of his game had Harvey drawing up plans to counter him? What was it that Freo did/tried to do to counter the influence of the guy who was apparently our second best player tonight?
I have just re-watched the first half. So far he has won clearances, chased, tackled, found space and delivered it to a forwards chest three times in the fifty.

Maybe he goes down hill in the second? I'll get back to you.

Did people see where Kerrs disposals went. He was very poor. Turnover king yesterday

5. Matt Priddis
4. Beau Waters
3. Brent Staker
2. Ben McKinley
1. Quinten Lynch

Those without Staker in their votes need head examinations.

You have to remember he hasn't been kicking much since he did his hamstring.

True. He can have one bad game with his kicking but for people to completely ignore it and just look at the stats is stupid. Even Kerr himself admitted he played like poo

Remove this Banner Ad

Votes Rd 3 Vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back