% vs +/- : the final battle (the challenge accepted)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 7, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NFL-Steelers (Twitter : Statsman74)
THE BACKGROUND

As part of the BigFooty data loss, fortunately for some and unfortunately for the others involved, we lost the two threads in relation to the suggestion by poster Starz that the % method of separating teams on equal points be replaced by +/- of points for and points against, because, in Starz words, it was “confusing” and “annoying”.:eek:

As expected a tide of opinion solidly opposing Starz’ suggestion was made, with many of the pro-% crew building, sustaining and supporting a credible argument for the retention of % and dismissing +/-, whereas the core of the pro +/- crew survived on “you’re wrong, we’re right” and were left with its only advantage being that it is simpler.:rolleyes:

In these posts I had mathematically proven that there is a correlation between total points scored in a game and margin, and therefore, a +/- system would be biased towards good teams playing at high scoring venues and biased against poor teams playing at the same venues.

The percentage system shows no such correlation.

What this means is that the +/- approach is a flawed system as it has inbuilt uncontrollable biases, whereas % does not.

Late last week the opinion poll was running 38-13 in favour of %.:)

WHERE WERE WE?

Starz found an unlikely ally in Frodo, who provided an adult approach to a juvenile one. After reading my posts Frodo suggested that he could tell what I was saying, and wasn’t 100% sure it was correct.

THE CHALLENGE

Frodo’s challenge was that I needed to demonstrate one real example of where a change from percentage to +/- would result in ladder position changing and that the change would be wrong because of the biases mentioned previously.

Starz’ contribution to this was suggesting it was time for me to “put up or shut up”. (Nothwithstanding that he had done absolutely nothing to attach any credibility to his argument or debunk any arguments I had made.)

THE CHALLENGE – TAKEN

Once I started digging and running the original correlations, I was always going to look further - mainly because I am naturally curious, but also because I wanted to reinforce my original calculations with data from different years.

My fear was that I wouldn’t find enough “real” situations to look into – after all, I would need to find two or more teams on level points, and their percentage to be very close. From there I’d need the lower ranked team to be a substantially higher scoring team and the venues they played at to be significantly different to create the bias.

Nevertheless, I trusted my calculations and knew “the truth would set me free”.

THE EXAMPLE

The year was 1998. Amongst a group of mid-table teams that ended the regular season on losing streaks were the 7th placed West Coast Eagles and the 8th placed Essendon Bombers.

(In the Finals Carey, Stevens & Bell drove the 1st placed Kangaroos to a victory over the Bombers while Chris Grant and Simon Minton-Connell kicked 9 between them in a romp by the 2nd placed Bulldogs over the Eagles.)

Both teams won 12 games but the Eagles had a percentage of 109.42 and the Bombers was just 108.64. However the Bombers were a higher scoring team, and in fact they had 2250 points for and 2071 against, while the Eagles had 1940 points for and 1773 against.

THE CHANGE

If the % method was ditched in favour of +/-, Essendon would move up to 7th (+179) and West Coast would fall to 8th (+167).

However;

Essendon played 16 games at the high scoring MCG, 3 games at the lower scoring Waverley, and their final 3 games at Princes Park (high), AAMI (low) and Subiaco (low).

West Coast played 9 games at the lower scoring Subiaco, 3 at the WACA (high), 3 at the MCG (high), 2 at AAMI (low) and other games at Skilled (low), Gabba (low), SCG (high), Waverley (low) and Victoria Park (insufficient data to be certain).

After adjusting for these venues back to a standard baseline, the adjusted for and against for Essendon is 2209/2026 (109.03% or +183) and for West Coast is 1989/1796 (110.75% or +193)

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Using +/-, Essendon move up to 7th, with WCE back to 8th.

But after removing the bias of venue, this is unjustified, as WCE should have been in 7th (+193 to +183).

Notably, after removing the bias of venue, nothing changes under the % method. WCE remains in 7th in both cases. (as discussed and analysed previously, % is unbiased in this regard):thumbsu:

CONCLUSION

This is one example, and in the end I didn’t need to look too far to find it. In this case, perhaps 7th/8th or 8th/7th makes no difference. But what about if it happens between important spots like 1st/2nd, 2nd/3rd, 4th/5th, 8th/9th or 15th/16th? Or maybe it still does matter back in 1998, as some teams match up better with others.

Yes, +/- is simpler.

But it isn’t fair.

FINAL WORDS

The argument was made by Starz. The argument was debunked by me and many others. The challenge was made by Frodo and Starz. The challenge was accepted - I’ve made the proof, and therefore “put up”.

Its now time for Starz (and the +/- system) to shut up.

Heres My Argument.... Why Fix Something That Isn't Broken... Simply End Of Story Get Over it Starz u dumbass

The best thing about % is it does not bias between grounds and styles of play. Styles of play vary through the season.

If you are an all out attacking team and don't care for defense you might win by say 20%, eg 120-100 or 20 points.

However maybe you are miserly defensive team, you can win by 20% eg 84-70 or 14 points.

Which is better the +20 points or +14 points? Does it matter? Maybe it rained? Maybe it was a howling wind? Maybe the weather was perfect? Or the opposition gained lots of injuries in the second half?

The reality is tactics change as conditions change and % is unbiased to any of these.

graystar said:
The best thing about % is it does not bias between grounds and styles of play. Styles of play vary through the season.

If you are an all out attacking team and don't care for defense you might win by say 20%, eg 120-100 or 20 points.

However maybe you are miserly defensive team, you can win by 20% eg 84-70 or 14 points.

Which is better the +20 points or +14 points? Does it matter? Maybe it rained? Maybe it was a howling wind? Maybe the weather was perfect? Or the opposition gained lots of injuries in the second half?

The reality is tactics change as conditions change and % is unbiased to any of these.

Spot on! You Have Gotta To Have a Fair Formula For All Teams Across Australia Playing On Different Grounds In Different Weather... Percentage Works Just Fine IMO:thumbsu:

excellent arguement.

different stadiums will higher or lower scores.

you can win by 20% in a wet, windy and blustery day at AAMI and end up winning by say, 10 points. Where as if the game was played indoors you could still win by 20% but the difference is 20-30 points.

both sides win by 20%, but by different scores.

Brilliant, statsman.

Once more there is a comprehensive demonstration of the superiority of the percentage system over +/-.

Matt_TY said:
Brilliant, statsman.

Once more there is a comprehensive demonstration of the superiority of the percentage system over +/-.

Lets just say it was a very, very small consolation for the footy result in the game that mattered.

That said, starz is probably 12 years old, so I'm not getting too excited about it.

Or the AFL could bring in +/- in the knowledge that it favours higher scoring teams, in an attempt to stop flooding etc as much?

It's not a 'rule' change on field... but could have a slight effect on some current coaching tactics and encourage more 'shoot outs'.

Not saying I'm for it, just another way of looking at it.

Gooka said:
Or the AFL could bring in +/- in the knowledge that it favours higher scoring teams, in an attempt to stop flooding etc as much?

It's not a 'rule' change on field... but could have a slight effect on some current coaching tactics and encourage more 'shoot outs'.

Not saying I'm for it, just another way of looking at it.

let's just leave the coach and team's objective as "play to win"

Yes, how convenient for you the threads were wiped.

+/- is 1000 times easier to track and understand for everybody, that's why it should be changed.

Unless there were consistantly massive season ending combined for and against totals such as Team A combined 2200 Team B 4300 where one team would be unfairly advantaged by way of huge for against differentials then it would really have no effect, particularly on the season ending ladder where such a large difference would leave a team last or first. That doesn’t ever happen. In reality all sides are within a few hundred points of 4000 give or take & this is more a reflection of game styles. There has also been no proof that if applied +- has wrongfully disadvantage a team, simply because as far as we look back it hasn’t, in any event one could mount an equal argument for high over low getting the edge.
Elements such as weather are unbiased factors for x or y team, in this case +- could equally help or hinder x or y team in the same way % (for/against) would.
The only realistically relevant scenario is this, and this is the only time when such a discrepancy would occur. After 22 rounds

Team A
For 2207
Against 2050
Team B
For 2048
Against 1900

Under percentage Team B would finish higher whereas under +- Team A would by 9 points.
Percentage rewards low-scoring teams 100% fact. Look at the ladders for the past few seasons it shows most sides for and against weren't too dis-similar.

It’s hardly worth debating about, one could argue for the lower scoring team, one could argue for the higher scoring team. Either way it’s beside the REAL point here and the odds of this occurring is rare to the point where it would have an impact on the 8.

The information has been provided by both sides, I have proven beyond doubt the +- system would be infinitely better from an understanding and relevant perspective and the benefits of such a system from a logical standpoint for everyone would far outweigh the pro’s of the % system of which the +- system has also.
The arguments put forth against this proposal are ultimately invalid and illogical in the long run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gooka said:

that's about the only decent explanation that i have heard that would give it merit i reckon

sharpie said:
that's about the only decent explanation that i have heard that would give it merit i reckon

not when you consider that playing at the Telstra Dome you could score more in a flooding, boring game than a match against two free-flowing opponents in the rain and wind of Skilled Stadium or AAMI.
Those who play TD more would then automatically be advantaged, which isn't necessarily fair.

BTW - what's so hard about the % system anyway?? Even my mates who did Maths in Society (dodo maths in school) can still figure it out.

starz said:
+/- is 1000 times easier to track and understand for everybody, that's why it should be changed.

There has also been no proof that if applied +- has wrongfully disadvantage a team, simply because as far as we look back it hasn’t, in any event one could mount an equal argument for high over low getting the edge.

Percentage rewards low-scoring teams 100% fact.

Either way it’s beside the REAL point here and the odds of this occurring would be very rare in maybe 500 years or more where it would have an impact on the 8.

Once again I have beyond doubt comprehensively won this debate and had it won right from the outset.
I don’t care if there’s 1000/1 against me here, I’m right.

You know how you asked me to put up or shut up. Well, I put up and was proven to be correct. It is now time for you to shut the F up.

Maths isnt your strong point is it? I guess that stands to reason, given that you find % confusing and annoying.

I have mathematically proven, based on current year and prior year data, that +/- is biased and % is not. I know you dont like this, as it proves your theory 100% wrong, but that is how it is.

I have also proven that margin (ie +/-) is tied to how high scoring a game is. This means that high scoring venues are likely to result in higher margins and therefore unfairly assists some teams over others. % does not have any such link.

You say change it because +/- is more simple. I have shown that +/- is biased and unfair to use. % is hardly rocket science.

You claimed it was a "Fact" that no team ever has a difference in points for an against of 1000. I found multiple examples where this was the case. Your facts are stuffed.

You claim as a "Fact" that percentage rewards low scoring teams. This is 100% false, another fact dismissed. Percentage is kind to good defensive teams. But every club chooses its own style and can be as defensive as it likes.

You say that "once in 500 years" it would affect the 8. My example showed that it would happen, and 1998 was only 8 years ago. Just so you know, I had another 5 examples up my sleeve to use just in case. So much for that theory of yours.

You dont win a debate by claiming your own victory. You win it by presenting an argument, testing it without prejudice, and establishing its credibility. You have failed on all 3 counts.

You didnt just lose this debate. You were decimated. If this was pool you'd be doing laps around the table with your pants around your ankles and all 7 of your balls unsunk.

statsman74 said:
In these posts I had mathematically proven that there is a correlation between total points scored in a game and margin, and therefore, a +/- system would be biased towards good teams playing at high scoring venues and biased against poor teams playing at the same venues.

The percentage system shows no such correlation.

What this means is that the +/- approach is a flawed system as it has inbuilt uncontrollable biases, whereas % does not.
THE CHANGE

If the % method was ditched in favour of +/-, Essendon would move up to 7th (+179) and West Coast would fall to 8th (+167).

However;

Essendon played 16 games at the high scoring MCG, 3 games at the lower scoring Waverley, and their final 3 games at Princes Park (high), AAMI (low) and Subiaco (low).

West Coast played 9 games at the lower scoring Subiaco, 3 at the WACA (high), 3 at the MCG (high), 2 at AAMI (low) and other games at Skilled (low), Gabba (low), SCG (high), Waverley (low) and Victoria Park (insufficient data to be certain).

After adjusting for these venues back to a standard baseline, the adjusted for and against for Essendon is 2209/2026 (109.03% or +183) and for West Coast is 1989/1796 (110.75% or +193)

"Bias of Venue"? How could you separate the team effect on the venue from the venue effect? This is your fatal flaw. Who's to say Subiaco wasn't a "low scoring venue" but the Eagles and Dockers were low scoring teams? With a sample of only 20 away games at 6 or 7 different grounds to contrast against the 24 home games, I'd be surprised if you could prove anything like that? Did you use the stats for that year, or all years? Did you account for weather? Did you measure the wind in each quarter?

And I still don't understand why you need to correct for anything? The % system doesn't. The uneven draw each year isn't corrected. Why are you making any corrections, other than to prove your misguided point?

I think there are 3 big plusses for the +- system
i) No one ever leaves a ground saying "what a great 15% win". It's a great 2 goal win.
ii) Makes final round calculations/margin requirements much simpler.
iii) and most importantly, it doesn't penalise HIGHER SCORING TEAMS, and benefit defensive teams. To take an extreme example:
if an uber-flooding teams won 18 games 10 goals to 8, lost the other 4 games 8 goals to 10 they'd have a % of 115.2% (1272/1104 = +168). If a free running team won 18 games 20 goals to 17, lost 4 games 18 goals to 20 (so bigger winning margins, same losing margin) they'd actually be 3% behind (2592/2316=111.9% = +276), DESPITE having the SAME LOSING MARGINS and a BETTER WINNING MARGIN!!!
Now this is a single extreme case, but in any % system you benefit the teams that have great defences, rather than teams with great attacks.

I agree that it is rarely an issue for final ladder position, but switching to a +- system would just send another indication that we want goals to be scored, not just defended.

Agreed.

statsman74 just doesn't get it.
He doesn't understand that percentage is based in for/against and the margins for weather and certain venues are also applied to for and against.
He will just keep bringing up the same flawed arguments over and over.
Then he claims a win, hilarious.
I'm predicting a flurry of insults to come next. ThePope, you're in the firing line.

starz said:
+/- is 1000 times easier to track and understand for everybody, that's why it should be changed.[/B]

How hard is it to work out For/Against (as opposed to For - Against) and display it as a percentage? The only thing that makes +/- easier to "track" is that division of large numbers is pretty difficult compared to subtraction, so you'd need a calculator to work out percentage but maybe not +/-, but otherwise, percentage is a VERY simple concept.

ThePope said:
"Bias of Venue"? How could you separate the team effect on the venue from the venue effect? This is your fatal flaw. Who's to say Subiaco wasn't a "low scoring venue" but the Eagles and Dockers were low scoring teams? With a sample of only 20 away games at 6 or 7 different grounds to contrast against the 24 home games, I'd be surprised if you could prove anything like that? Did you use the stats for that year, or all years? Did you account for weather? Did you measure the wind in each quarter?

And I still don't understand why you need to correct for anything? The % system doesn't. The uneven draw each year isn't corrected. Why are you making any corrections, other than to prove your misguided point?

I think there are 3 big plusses for the +- system
i) No one ever leaves a ground saying "what a great 15% win". It's a great 2 goal win.
ii) Makes final round calculations/margin requirements much simpler.
iii) and most importantly, it doesn't penalise HIGHER SCORING TEAMS, and benefit defensive teams. To take an extreme example:
if an uber-flooding teams won 18 games 10 goals to 8, lost the other 4 games 8 goals to 10 they'd have a % of 115.2% (1272/1104 = +168). If a free running team won 18 games 20 goals to 17, lost 4 games 18 goals to 20 (so bigger winning margins, same losing margin) they'd actually be 3% behind (2592/2316=111.9% = +276), DESPITE having the SAME LOSING MARGINS and a BETTER WINNING MARGIN!!!
Now this is a single extreme case, but in any % system you benefit the teams that have great defences, rather than teams with great attacks.

I agree that it is rarely an issue for final ladder position, but switching to a +- system would just send another indication that we want goals to be scored, not just defended.

A few things here;

- venue effect is obviously influenced by team effect, but using data over multiple years averages out any team effect. This is true for any venue - the more games, the more stable the results. When a ground consistently rates at the top or at the bottom (and that ground has mixed tenants), a trend is obvious. Running a few basic correlations can indicate whether the results are tainted by the quality (or lack thereof) of the teams playing there.

- the effect of weather cant be measured due to lack of data. It could help or hurt the analysis, who knows. That said, more extreme weather conditions (wind, rain, both etc) do result in lower scoring games, so to that extent, it is caught.

- there is a "need to correct" because there was found to be a correlation between venue and margin. I checked multiple years and it holds true. Consequently it is necessary to remove that relationship to be free of that bias. In my example in 1998 it is quite clear that Essendon played at (on average) higher scoring venues and thus their margins were distorted somewhat.

- as for your example, I dont have a problem with the existing % results. I'd argue that a 10 to 8 margin is a more definitive win than a 20-18 result. Clearly in the former example a goal is more valuable, whereas in the latter example goals are a lot more common. Eg The Hawks win over the Roos in Tassie was 7 goals to 4....those 7 goals were hard earned and clearly I consider this a more significant win then say Hawthorns win over Freo at the same venue by the same margin in Round 1 when the scoring was 109-87.

cat in sydney said:
not when you consider that playing at the Telstra Dome you could score more in a flooding, boring game than a match against two free-flowing opponents in the rain and wind of Skilled Stadium or AAMI.
Those who play TD more would then automatically be advantaged, which isn't necessarily fair.

BTW - what's so hard about the % system anyway?? Even my mates who did Maths in Society (dodo maths in school) can still figure it out.

i agree - i wouldn't change it

% is fine

but the argument was fair - it just isn't going to outweigh all the other arguments for keeping %

The question is whether a say 20pt victory in a low scoring game is a "bigger" margin than in a high scoring game. If you think so, then percentage reflects this difference. If you think that it is no different no matter the score, then stick with +/-.

IMHO, there is a difference between the two and that percentage is more reflective of this.

Mike_B said:
The question is whether a say 20pt victory in a low scoring game is a "bigger" margin than in a high scoring game. If you think so, then percentage reflects this difference. If you think that it is no different no matter the score, then stick with +/-.

IMHO, there is a difference between the two and that percentage is more reflective of this.
statsman, can you take this question/theory.

Let's see if you've actually learnt anything...

starz said:
He doesn't understand that percentage is based in for/against and the margins for weather and certain venues are also applied to for and against.

I think I have ably demonstrated that I get the mathematics of % and +/-. What I also understand is that weather and venues have no bearing on % (which is why it is fair) but they do have a bearing on +/- which is why it is not.

When ecky (in thread #2) challenged me on this, I was open to the possibility that further research would prove me wrong and I would have to acknowledge that. Believe me, proving myself wrong and you being right would have been a bigger kick in the guts than the football result yesterday.

But it didnt, it proved me right. And then I checked another season, and I was still right. Then another, and still right. Notice the pattern?

+/- revolves around winning and losing margin. But winning and losing margin is influenced by the total scoring in a game, which is influenced by venue and this method therefore has an element of bias.

% revolves around the ratio of scoring for and against. It is not influenced by venue. It is unbiased. It is superior.

NOTE : I dont insult people that present arguments in an adult manner. The Pope did this, and I'll never insult someone that clearly has thought about their post and is prepared to debate it like an adult.

Remove this Banner Ad

% vs +/- : the final battle (the challenge accepted)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back