Expansion WA Govt $1.5mil sponsorship of South Sydney RLFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 27, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
WA may be next Souths sponsor

Elizabeth Gosch | May 03, 2008
THE cashed-up West Australian Government is preparing to sign a sponsorship deal worth up to $1.5million with the historically rich but now struggling South Sydney Rabbitohs rugby league club, taking some of the financial heat off co-owners Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court.

Under the deal, the state's Go West Now campaign would be the major sponsor on the Rabbitohs' away game jerseys, alternating with existing sponsor National Australia Bank.

While a value has not been put on the NAB sponsorship, Mr Holmes a Court has previously named $2.5million as the figure the club would like to raise through jersey sponsorship.

Club spokesman Christopher Green refused to confirm the deal but said Souths, which is one of the competition's founding clubs but sits bottom of the table this year, was in negotiations with six possible sponsors.

"We can't comment on sponsors other than ones that are signed, sealed and delivered. But I can confirm we are in negotiations with half a dozen companies and we deliberately haven't hurried with that as we are seeking a premium sponsor," Mr Green said.

However, Mr Green, who also works with Mr Holmes a Court's new sports investment vehicle The Passionate Group, was able to confirm that Souths were in serious negotiations to play two matches each season in Perth, starting next year.

Mr Holmes a Court, the son of legendary Perth businessman Robert Holmes a Court, flew to Perth early last month to discuss with officials the pros and cons of Souths playing some of its home games in Perth.

"We are talking with the Government about playing games over there. The discussion is about does it make sense to play over there? We've had proposals put to us by both the WACA and Members Equity," Mr Green said.

The South Sydney Football Club was well and truly in the doldrums with a negative balance sheet in the order of $1.5million when Mr Holmes a Court and Mr Crowe bought 75per cent of the ailing club for $3million in 2006.

Souths hold the record for the most premierships - 20 - but the last time they won the premiership was in 1971. More recently, they've claimed the wooden spoon three times - in 2003, 2004 and 2006 - and this year are yet to record a win.

Mr Green said there was a huge market for the Rabbitohs and for rugby league in the west due to the influx of east coasters chasing the big money available in the state's resources sector.

The Australian Rugby League launched a team in Perth - called the Western Reds - in 1995 but poor performances, small crowds and the Super League battle saw it closed down in 1997.

Why the hell is this on the AFL explansion board? :confused:

There's a Rugby League board for a reason. This isn't it.

:thumbsdown:
This whole thread is about AFL expanding into the heartland of rival brands of football in pursuit of national domination over rival brands of football. It follows surely that the strategic direction of all 4 brands of football are directly relevant to AFL Expansion in pursuit of national domination.

It's a good thread. Don't mess with it. And it keeps discussion of rival codes off the main AFL thread, which should keep the bigfooty chain of command happy.

Unless we are given direct Orders from higher up the chain of bigfooty command.... I mean Chief.. then we shall proceed as per normal.

i think hes trying to point out that by 2 games in WA they are trying to tap into the WA market and threaten the afl.

Clearly the growth of WA in terms of east coast migration gives RL good reason to pursue opportunities in WA. There are a few venues in Perth also who would love additional fixtures, such as the WACA, Subiaco, the soccer venue., etc.

Either the Reds will be back in 2012 or Souths will be relocated to Perth. Members Equity stadium is currently hosting the reds in jim beam cup.

Clearly the growth of WA in terms of east coast migration gives RL good reason to pursue opportunities in WA. There are a few venues in Perth also who would love additional fixtures, such as the WACA, Subiaco, the soccer venue., etc.

lol. one time you think we should be dead last on expansion now you're encouraging it. western reds were shafted hard by the nrl and the only way you're gonna get fans back to watch other teams is if WA is guaranteed a team before ANYONE else including another country.

Why the hell is this on the AFL explansion board? :confused:
There's a Rugby League board for a reason. This isn't it.:thumbsdown:
Spot on. This thread is about nothing more than a mid level sponsorship deal for a rugby league club - no different than what Hawthorn has with Tassie, the Western Bulldogs have with the NT and Melbourne has with teh ACT Governments. Those aren't worth threads of their own, and this definately has no place on the AFL expansion board.

I suppose the only vaguely angle of interest here is that as South Sydney is now a privately owned club, there nothing to stop its owner, Peter Holmes A'Court (spelling?) relocating it to WA (where his parents came from) if he thinks there's more $$$ to be made for him by that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose the only vaguely angle of interest here is that as South Sydney is now a privately owned club, there nothing to stop its owner, Peter Holmes A'Court (spelling?) relocating it to WA (where his parents came from) if he thinks there's more $$$ to be made for him by that.

Ummmmm... not. The owners of South Sydney Rabbitohs have no right under their arrangement to buy souths to change permanent location (Sydney) their colours or their logo. Any agreement to move to make any significant changes has to pass through the members. Anyway Souths are now the best sponsored club in Sydney and whilst I don't like them they are doing well to come back from the edge of oblivion.

However The West Austalian Reds are on the way back!

Ummmmm... not. The owners of South Sydney Rabbitohs have no right under their arrangement to buy souths to change permanent location (Sydney) their colours or their logo. Any agreement to move to make any significant changes has to pass through the members. Anyway Souths are now the best sponsored club in Sydney and whilst I don't like them they are doing well to come back from the edge of oblivion.

I dont have any statistics but i saw Sports Tonight and the crowd looked poor for the South Sydney Rabbitohs game. Anyway i always thought that either the Bulldogs or Roosters were the most well supported Rugby League clubs in Sydney.

However The West Austalian Reds are on the way back!

I honestly dont know why the NRL will think this will work. I dont live in WA but i always got the impression that Rugby League is barely on the sporting radar and if they are relying on support from expats from Queensland or New South Wales they will be very disappointed. Just as a example on this forum we have quite afew Victorian/South Australian/Western Australian expats and none of them change allegiances to the Sydney Swans or Brisbane Lions if they have moved to NSW or QLD. Once you support a team in any sport its near impossible to just start supporting another club instead.

This whole thread is about AFL expanding into the heartland of rival brands of football in pursuit of national domination over rival brands of football.
no, this board is about AFL expansion, the paranoid leaguies that are scared shitless by this prospect MAKE it about "national domination over rival brands of football"

its one of the reasons this sub-board is so frequently senseless, annoying and stupid, and the actual interesting and useful stuff (like the thread where we pretty mch guessed what the new recruitment concessions would be before they were announced) is hidden behind so much paranoid rugby league dribble.

no, this board is about AFL expansion, the paranoid leaguies that are scared shitless by this prospect MAKE it about "national domination over rival brands of football"

its one of the reasons this sub-board is so frequently senseless, annoying and stupid, and the actual interesting and useful stuff (like the thread where we pretty mch guessed what the new recruitment concessions would be before they were announced) is hidden behind so much paranoid rugby league dribble.
This thread is about AFL expansion into the heart of RL heartland. It follows that this thread should discuss the relative position of rival brands of football. If you are suggesting this thread should be purely about AFL expansion and thereby ignore the dynamics of the market in which it proposes to gain greater market share, then you are kidding yourself.

No, this board is about AFL expansion, the paranoid leaguies that are scared shitless by this prospect MAKE it about "national domination over rival brands of football"

He said it .

This thread is about AFL expansion into the heart of RL heartland. It follows that this thread should discuss the relative position of rival brands of football. If you are suggesting this thread should be purely about AFL expansion and thereby ignore the dynamics of the market in which it proposes to gain greater market share, then you are kidding yourself.
oh we can talk about the new markets, it would just be nice to talk about the markets as they relate to the AFL and their expansion (once again, the topic of this board), rather than the stength of rugby league, which is endlessly dull and irrelevant on an AFL board.

rugby leagues expansion into WA is neither relevant by code or market to this board. i suggest this thread be moved to the rugby league board.

its just annoying that league ____heads keep turning this into a sub-board of the fight club with endless intercode bitching. "good junior numbers for AFL in QLD" is erroneously interpreted by paranoid assholes as "league numbers are falling"

if we were the least bit interested in that silly bullshit, we would be over at TFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion WA Govt $1.5mil sponsorship of South Sydney RLFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back