WACA Wallys

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I do like the idea of it being a development hub for footy and cricket. They're thinking of putting dorms up, so perhaps your state carnival kids could be holed up and playing there. The good thing about that, is it's suitable for summer and winter with both sports sharing it with minimal interference.

I mean, for footy alone, you have your U16s/U18s interstate sides staying. Or at the least, the country kids playing for WA. Then there's the yearly state league game. Plus you could have Landmark Carnival teams or whatever. Plus the Clontarf kids who come up for AFL curtain raisers. Seriously, even the new women's league bridges the gap between cricket and footy seasons. I reckon you could just about fill those dorms 60% of the time. Surely that would at least pay for the accommodation or something, if you got CA and the AFL to chip in.

I like the idea though, this is the sort of left-field thinking you need. It caters to some needs but doesn't have about nine different people all wanting to capitalise and mucking about with one another.
Yep there should be state of the art training and recovery facilities that can be utilised by the junior development programs of both AFL and Cricket, The Western Warriors, Perth Scorchers, travelling AFL sides and then various youth development teams. I think that is a valid enough reason for some federal and private funding.

WA state under 18 's football has been training there for years, Trinity College football teams from across the road have also been training there for years.

WACA would be a good place for friday night WAFL games, the ground needs to be extended a bit, surely this can be done without it costing the earth.

The facilities are not good but so what, people going to a WAFL game in the main are not to fussed.

The Velodrome was ok, because the pitch was tiny, but the crowd was very close. Red Star Belgrade played WA there and their skill level was so immense, the small pitch worked in their favour. Saw Bobby Charlton play there in the night series one year. He was still amazing. Only a small capacity though and players taking corners often slipped during the wet when they had to step onto the wooden slats at the bottom of the ramp. I remember we got knocked out of the cup in juniors playing there when Ali Edwards missed a penalty in the shoot out. :(

The fans were too far away at the WACA. Like watching soccer or rugby at Subiaco, but the surface was brilliant. The highlight was Stan Lazarides performance against West Ham for WA. He was brilliant.

The fans were miles away at Perry Lakes. I remember playing there and you could not hear anybody in the stands at all. Not that I ever gave anybody anything worth clapping. I saw the All Blacks beat WA there about 90-3. Grant Fox was the best kicker in World rugby and missed something like his first 6 shots because of a swirling breeze, then kicked about 9 straight. I saw Ben Johnson run an amazing 100 metres there too and Steve Cram do his hamstring.
Was the Velodrome there while they played soccer? Also by 'we,' do you mean Floreat Athena, and do you mean to say you played with them? You played with Alistair Edwards? And when did WA play Hammers at the WACA? Sounds crazy, even the very notion of a state team has been destroyed in the last decade. Even before that it was lingering in state league player irrelevancy for a few years.

I always used to love playing soccer on cricket grounds because the short grass was awesome. Still to this day, when I see a nicely manicured, resource-sucking short lawn, I imagine drilling low passes on it.

8033996-3x2-940x627.jpg

Looks like a very major rebuild of the northern end. Unsure if this is remodeling of the Inveraity & Prindiville Stands or a complete knock down and rebuild.

No walk-up start indeed.

time to get rid of the trots

$200m in funding on an existing stadium to end up with a 15 000 capacity boutique stadium? With Subiaco's future uncertain and a brand new stadium literally across the river.

If Subiaco goes, I can see some benefit in the WACA remaining as a second 'major' oval sports ground, but certainly don't see W.A needing all three.

We're now the last state to be using a separate ground for AFL and international cricket if the WACA is retained. For the real small attendance stuff (ie Sheffield Shield), there's no need for a 15k boutique stadium. SS is being played at places like Wollongong, Townsville and Alice Springs this year and we've previously seen Victoria use Junction Oval when they couldn't (or didn't want to) get the MCG. The final was even played at a suburban SANFL ground (Glenelg) last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Subiaco is a shithole in a crap spot, apart from the heritage gates just bulldoze it and do something with the WACA even if it's small.

If the state takes a coordinated approach to bulldozing Subiaco and retaining WACA is second stadium, fantastic. Just baffled anyone thought asking for $200m when Subiaco is still sitting there with discussion around also turning that into a smaller boutique stadium that fits into the community was a good idea. Essentially it surely has to be one or the other.

If the state takes a coordinated approach to bulldozing Subiaco and retaining WACA is second stadium, fantastic. Just baffled anyone thought asking for $200m when Subiaco is still sitting there with discussion around also turning that into a smaller boutique stadium that fits into the community was a good idea. Essentially it surely has to be one or the other.
Subiaco with the dimensions there can only be used for football. The WACA can easily be used for both sports so it's obvious which one stays as a 'mini' stadium.

Subiaco with the dimensions there can only be used for football. The WACA can easily be used for both sports so it's obvious which one stays as a 'mini' stadium.

I actually agree with you that WACA over Subiaco makes sense overall, but Subiaco 'could' be configured for cricket. It's wider than Adelaide Oval on the short side so it would just need boundaries shortened on the long side wouldn't it?

I actually agree with you that WACA over Subiaco makes sense overall, but Subiaco 'could' be configured for cricket. It's wider than Adelaide Oval on the short side so it would just need boundaries shortened on the long side wouldn't it?
Adelaide's short boundaries are east to west, not north to south like Subi. You can't have a cricket pitch running east to west because of the sun. So Subi with a cricket pitch would have to have extremely short straight boundaries that wouldn't fit in with current icc regs iirc.

200 million is not that huge an amount of money, the WACA should fund it but with the guarantee of 25k capacity and that all cricket is played at the WACA.
The new stadium once the novelty wears off will be well over 3/4 empty for 90% of days of cricket there, it will be a concrete jungle on a sub par drop in pitch.
WAFL can play one game a week at the WACA and all finals. Outdoor concerts can move to the WACA also.
Very important the WACA is retained in my view. Moving any cricket from there is a bad decision.

200 million is not that huge an amount of money, the WACA should fund it but with the guarantee of 25k capacity and that all cricket is played at the WACA.
The new stadium once the novelty wears off will be well over 3/4 empty for 90% of days of cricket there, it will be a concrete jungle on a sub par drop in pitch.
WAFL can play one game a week at the WACA and all finals. Outdoor concerts can move to the WACA also.
Very important the WACA is retained in my view. Moving any cricket from there is a bad decision.

WACA is in a great position - there is no doubt in my mind that WAFL games on Friday night in conjunction with the trots, some close eateries and pubs, a tab at the WAFL with some big screens showing the trots and the Friday night AFL game would add plenty of colour down that end of town.

You would think East Perth, West Perth, Subi and Perth would be the favoured teams for the games, there supporter base is much closer.

You wouldn't get families but you would get plenty of workers from the city who now live around the area.

I really don't think state of the art facilities are needed for this.

WACA is in a great position - there is no doubt in my mind that WAFL games on Friday night in conjunction with the trots, some close eateries and pubs, a tab at the WAFL with some big screens showing the trots and the Friday night AFL game would add plenty of colour down that end of town.

You would think East Perth, West Perth, Subi and Perth would be the favoured teams for the games, there supporter base is much closer.

You wouldn't get families but you would get plenty of workers from the city who now live around the area.

I really don't think state of the art facilities are needed for this.

I agree, the ground changing its dimensions would cost x amount, putting up shading on the banks and the outer areas is not a huge cost and providing more ammenities is not a huge cost. Very achievable on their own and keeping a minimum 20k capacity.

I can't see cricket ever agreeing to abandon the WACA in favour of a remodeled Subi ,just for the history and heritage value of the WACA and what it means to cricket.

I agree, the ground changing its dimensions would cost x amount, putting up shading on the banks and the outer areas is not a huge cost and providing more ammenities is not a huge cost. Very achievable on their own and keeping a minimum 20k capacity.

Of course it is ( very achievable that is )- 200 million - seriously WTF !!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

WACA Wallys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back