WACA Wallys

Remove this Banner Ad

The WACA pitch at its worse is a much better cricket wicket than Adelaide. Only real top quality players perform well in Perth. In Adelaide average players are made to look like superstars because of the benign pitch.
I played quite a few times at Adelaide and it was the only place I wanted to fake an injury so I did not have to bowl on it. Roll your arm over and wait for the declaration.
Beautiful ground, generally great weather but for some reason every curator there thinks they have water rations. No reason grass can't grow there.
I feel you've chosen to argue points which aren't part of this discussion.
We were discussing how the WACA had lost pace and bounce, which brought about the suggestion that maybe you could replicate the WACA pitch in a drop-in, and I said that even when it was lower and slower than it once was, it was still "no Adelaide Oval" - it was still pacier and bouncier. I wasn't arguing for or against either pitch, just making the comparison of pace and bounce.

On a side-note, may I ask for whom you played?

I feel you've chosen to argue points which aren't part of this discussion.
We were discussing how the WACA had lost pace and bounce, which brought about the suggestion that maybe you could replicate the WACA pitch in a drop-in, and I said that even when it was lower and slower than it once was, it was still "no Adelaide Oval" - it was still pacier and bouncier. I wasn't arguing for or against either pitch, just making the comparison of pace and bounce.

On a side-note, may I ask for whom you played?

I played half a dozen games for WA and many games in under 17,s and under 19,s.
Just wasn't consistent enough to play more and was a tough era with WA having many quality quicks.

Every single drop in wicket in the country is objectively bad and makes for dull cricket.

Why would the Perth stadium be any different?

It's not like the other states don't say the same words about how it's a competitive pitch that aids both the batsmen and the bowlers.

Why assume the pitch will be any good?

the MCG is not bad at all, the SCG isn't too bad either. I cant see why a drop in WACA pitch would be much worse than what they have currently

And any way if the WACA and WA cricket wants to survive it really is a non negotiable that they change the big games to the NPS, and if that means a drop in so be it. I would certainly rather watch cricket at a decent ground in the NPS than at the WACA even though the pitch maybe slightly less bouncy.

And any way if the WACA and WA cricket wants to survive it really is a non negotiable that they change the big games to the NPS, and if that means a drop in so be it. I would certainly rather watch cricket at a decent ground in the NPS than at the WACA even though the pitch maybe slightly less bouncy.

It is not a non-negotiable. The Ashes the only Tests that I have ever seen fill out the WACA. There won't be much of a leap to the new stadium in the long term, particularly if the quality of the contest drops. The biggest advantage Perth has $ wise is in tv ratings over east, and why would people want to watch a bad product?

It is not a non-negotiable. The Ashes the only Tests that I have ever seen fill out the WACA. There won't be much of a leap to the new stadium in the long term, particularly if the quality of the contest drops. The biggest advantage Perth has $ wise is in tv ratings over east, and why would people want to watch a bad product?
The attendances at the WACA are irrelevent from now, sure 15 000 turn up for a test match but some people dont want to go and sit in a shit hole all day. Moving tests and other big games to the NPS will attract more people due to the better facilities it will have. If you think there will be a huge amount of extra seats think of the Perth Arena and the Wildcats. They played at Challenge Stadium which is rubbish and only got 5000 but now they play at a decent stadium and they get 12+ even though everyone thought it would be half full . I reckon Perth could get 30 000 to tests at the NPS but thats just my opinion

James Sutherland just talked up the idea of beach cricket at the Olympics.

With that guy making the decisions what do you think will happen?

The dumbest thing is that allegedly there is $200 million or whatever left over to develop the WACA as part of this current plan.

Well if that $200 million is there how come they can't make it into a nice 20-25,000 seater?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The attendances at the WACA are irrelevent from now, sure 15 000 turn up for a test match but some people dont want to go and sit in a shit hole all day. Moving tests and other big games to the NPS will attract more people due to the better facilities it will have. If you think there will be a huge amount of extra seats think of the Perth Arena and the Wildcats. They played at Challenge Stadium which is rubbish and only got 5000 but now they play at a decent stadium and they get 12+ even though everyone thought it would be half full . I reckon Perth could get 30 000 to tests at the NPS but thats just my opinion
Exactly right. The truth is that unless you are willing to pay top dollar you're going to be spending 8 hours in an uncomfortable seat (if you're lucky) roasting in the sun. Perth people are more than willing to attend sport, but you still need to make it an attractive proposition for them. West Coast, Fremantle, the Scorchers and the Wildcats all have attendances that are the envy of their opposition clubs.

Exactly right. The truth is that unless you are willing to pay top dollar you're going to be spending 8 hours in an uncomfortable seat (if you're lucky) roasting in the sun. Perth people are more than willing to attend sport, but you still need to make it an attractive proposition for them. West Coast, Fremantle, the Scorchers and the Wildcats all have attendances that are the envy of their opposition clubs.
Thats why I cant wait for a new stadium in Perth :thumbsu: it will be great to be able to go to a stadium that will be as good as the MCG unlike what we are all used to in WA with Subi and the WACA

James Sutherland just talked up the idea of beach cricket at the Olympics.

With that guy making the decisions what do you think will happen?

The dumbest thing is that allegedly there is $200 million or whatever left over to develop the WACA as part of this current plan.

Well if that $200 million is there how come they can't make it into a nice 20-25,000 seater?

There's no $200 million.

Just as port supporters didn't show up at aami soon as they got to Adelaide oval they sell out each week.
Same would happen if the waca was fixed up, make it a better experience for fans and they'll show! We Aussies love progress and new shiney things.
Who has authority to allow any cricket at the new Perth stadium? Did the west Aussie cricket assoc contribute money?
If not I wouldn't like the chances. Unless they throw a heap of cash to the big wigs per game.
What would pattisons stadium be like for cricket.

Beautiful ground, generally great weather but for some reason every curator there thinks they have water rations. No reason grass can't grow there.

Well, South Australia is the driest state in the country, and was actually under state-wide water restrictions for about five years at one stage...

Who has authority to allow any cricket at the new Perth stadium?
The Government will allow the WACA to rent out the ground Tests against England, Sith Efrika and India, as well as all ODIs, T20Is and Big Bash matches will be played there. Tests against all other nations and Sheffield Shield matches will stay at the WACA ground.

What would Subiaco Oval* be like for cricket.
Not possible. The straight boundaries for a N-S cricket setup are too small.

The Government will allow the WACA to rent out the ground Tests against England, Sith Efrika and India, as well as all ODIs, T20Is and Big Bash matches will be played there. Tests against all other nations and Sheffield Shield matches will stay at the WACA ground.

Not possible. The straight boundaries for a N-S cricket setup are too small.
Well that answers that :thumbsu:
Pretty much the waca will fade into irrelevancy. Would like too see them take charge give it a huge redevelopment make it state of the art to rival NPS. If cricket has that kind of money that is. To much history to just leave it how it is.

? I highly doubt the swans play on a cricket pitch.
swans%202015%20draw%20413.jpg
Gabba-Banner-600px.jpg

SCG, Gabba, Blundstone, Manuka are the only cricket pitches on AFL grounds.

Well that answers that :thumbsu:
Pretty much the waca will fade into irrelevancy. Would like too see them take charge give it a huge redevelopment make it state of the art to rival NPS. If cricket has that kind of money that is. To much history to just leave it how it is.

They don't have the money.

The WACA were offered to be part of the new stadium when the idea was first proposed, nearly a decade ago now. They declined and decided to go it alone for a WACA redevelopment. That plan was for commercial developments on land they owned surrounding the WACA in partnership with a developer. However that plan has fallen through and come to nothing. In a sense they are lucky that the state government had the foresight to decide the new stadium would be built to a size suitable for cricket, and not to the same dimensions as Subi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back