Mega Thread Wafl 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Well maybe we trust them Andy. But they did opt to go with JWK and Roberts who have only clogged up our rookie list for a year and are now delisted! I'm betting in hindsight they would've preferred Lee, Mitchell or even Cory Dell Olio right now. I'm thinking all three would've at least dipped their toes in the AFL pond this season at Freo because, at least they were all ready to go with a just a bit of tweaking. Problem with using late rookie picks on kids is often that the eyes have already been picked out of the really talented 18 year old basket and we're often just filling the list with more hope than sincere expectation. We do not hold a great record as far as late pick young blokes go. But we have been very successful with mature age blokes plucked from state level leagues that have real drive - not just a great vertical leap or beep test result. I acknowledge that I seem to be in the minority here on Mitchell. But this "armchair recruiter" was also being belted a few years ago when pushing the ability of another bloke I had seen working his guts out every week at the Demons..... Tendai seems to have worked out ok.
They recruited those players due to upside not how they would go in the WAFL. Mitchell is nothing but a WAFL player who is fitter than everyone in the league. If he ever plays WAFL his greatest asset will not matter as other players will be as fit.

Mzungu is a much better footballer even though he has his weaknesses.

Geez, being a bit hard on Tendai there aren't you Guru? He's never gonna be a club champion but we've surely had a couple of pretty servicable years with more to come I presume.

Geez, being a bit hard on Tendai there aren't you Guru? He's never gonna be a club champion but we've surely had a couple of pretty servicable years with more to come I presume.

I was saying he only busted his nut at Perth for one season, only put in one outstanding pre season at the Demons and combined with his natural talent the results and AFL contract flowed from there, not sure how you could read that any other way?

In b4 a million responses saying Tendai is shit.

Seriously though, one problem is that we have to have a range of ages at the club, if we just pick up established players in the 22-26 bracket we'll end up like the dogs with ageing stars and talented kids and nothing inbetween.

And I mean how is Lee not a risk? He only lasted a year at Adelaide, I'd argue he is almost as speculative as JWK.
Yeah, fair enough Andy. But we generally get our share of of the young blokes in the draft and occasionally there is a gem left in the rookie draft. But consistently we fail with young ones at the back end of the rookie draft. Just saying maybe 22-26ers can be a pretty handy insurance policy at the very least. Remember scraping the bottom of the barrel with kids who were never capable just to fill a team last year?
As for Lee, can't really say he's struck me with any great appeal but there are plenty on this forum who have been calling for us to look at him again. Just all opinions I guess.

If this is true, I think it explains why we are keen to draft elite kicks, and hang on to players like Ibbo that have other obvious shortcomings. We know their disposal will hold up under pressure.

The persistence with Ibbo is more to do with his athleticism and height than his kicking, I would have thought. He can kick a long way and isnt bad accuracy wise, but he doesnt like taking risks. The mental side of the game is more the issue with Ibbo. The hope is that one day it'll all click and he'll deliver on the potential. Needs to spend some time with kirky, who didn't have a ton of athletic talent, but squeezed every bit of potential he had out through commitment and a focused approach.

Unfortunately for mitchell he lacks height, weight and kicking skill. Hard to see where he'd fit into the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Wafl 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back