Oct 1, 2006
Boom town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Steelers & Penguins
Richmond coach Terry Wallace given reprieve at Tigers boardroom meeting

By Mark Robinson
April 22, 2009 Terry Wallace will coach Richmond until at least mid-year after receiving a late-night reprieve from the Tigers' boardroom.

The embattled coach survived a board meeting in Melbourne on Tuesday night, when the club reiterated its process to review the coach would continue as planned.

Wallace, who is under daily scrutiny from media and fans, will officially know of his future about round 12.

Unofficially, at 0-4, Wallace knows his future almost certainly finished at Punt Road.

Continues...

How do you make the finals by rd 12 though?

I would say 6-6 would save his job. Maybe 5-7. (til the end of the year or close to)

Of course if they are 2-8 in round 10 there's no point waiting is there?

Winning "half their games from now until then" will still only have them at 4-8 by Round 12.

Win-loss would at least need to be positive I reckon - which means a big string of wins to keep his job......hopefully AFTER this week!!:p

Richmond have already told someone they have the job, Wallace will be sacked in rd 12, the new coach will takeover in a caretaker role, tank the rest of the year, and start afressh in season 2010.....

I think he is virtually gone, but while there is a mathematical chance of making the finals (How ever small), he has to be given the chance. But watching last Sundays game I think he would be moved on anyway as the list still has major problems after 5 years and he can't blame Frawley for that one.

Richmond have already told someone they have the job, Wallace will be sacked in rd 12, the new coach will takeover in a caretaker role, tank the rest of the year, and start afressh in season 2010.....

I'm not sure if Richmond have picked a coach right away (unless it's Sheedy), but the rest is 100% correct.

While a caretaker coach may be appointed, and we may loose a crap load of games. Tiger pride says we wont tank it.

Wont last till Rnd 12.

All it takes is a few more losses and the season effectively over and the calls of "lets start NOW" rain in...fresh start for the sake of the list and so that this season isnt wasted for next yr.At least players know where they stand and need to show their best. As it stands with a dead man walking the list doesnt care about impressing Wallace and will be in limbo hearing rumours all over the place going around the club about the new guy.

get him out..pay him out ..if they know who they want do it NOW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see the big issue in paying out his contract. They'd have to pay it out at the end of this year anyway, so why not do it now, and put in someone internally who is already being paid, so won't require extra money?

Please let them choose Wayne Campbell as his replacement!!!!

That would be like cutting the cancer out of the club and shoving it straight back in the rear entry:p

Then of course they need to undertake the trendy new footy catchcry of due dilligence...whereby they waste another month pretending to follow a regimented professional process selecting a new coach..then just name the bloke they had in mind anyway. Performs the extremely important and essential footy club function of covering the boards arse so they cant cop blame if the new guy underperforms too.

He's got his wish. If they sack him they have to keep paying out his contract, correct?

12902.strip.gif

Wont last till Rnd 12.

All it takes is a few more losses and the season effectively over and the calls of "lets start NOW" rain in...fresh start for the sake of the list and so that this season isnt wasted for next yr.At least players know where they stand and need to show their best. As it stands with a dead man walking the list doesnt care about impressing Wallace and will be in limbo hearing rumours all over the place going around the club about the new guy.

get him out..pay him out ..if they know who they want do it NOW.

True, a 10+ goal loss this week and he'll be gone.

True, a 10+ goal loss this week and he'll be gone.

Not likely.. Gary March has come out and given him until rnd 12, they will give him a few weeks at the very least...

Agree with the sentiment on the board, if Wallace has lost the confidence in the playing group it's better he goes earlier rather than later, no use hanging around. I'm not envious of the caretaker that inherits that sinking ship though!! :eek:

Giving him till round 12 is just delaying the inevitable.

Any administration that puts a mid-year performance based deadline on a coaching contract has effectively ended the contract already. The doubt obviously already exists at board level. You can't win the trust back in 8 weeks out of what can only be described as a deplorable 5 year term...

He's done and dusted.

And for good, I would have thought.

Then of course they need to undertake the trendy new footy catchcry of due dilligence...whereby they waste another month pretending to follow a regimented professional process selecting a new coach..then just name the bloke they had in mind anyway. Performs the extremely important and essential footy club function of covering the boards arse so they cant cop blame if the new guy underperforms too.
Haha, this is a reflection of the 'professionalism' of the footy boards now. This is exactly what happens in the corporate world.

Would need to probably win 5/8 and no massive blowouts to stay after Round 12.

Would need to win like 13 of the next 18 to get another contract......not gonna happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wallace given to R12...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back