Roast Walters

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think he was 'on' Hill for more than transient periods on Sunday. More in the vicinity mainly when Hill was sitting around HBF, Sonny was clearly going for him as you do playing against your mates

What's got me stuffed is that free seems to have made a commitment to playing blokes in their 'preferred' or 'natural' positions regardless of what's best for the side, and yet we insist on plonking Sonny in a forward pocket where he's Cleary about as useful as **** on a bull... The bloke needs to be up the ground, high HFF for mine. Let hime ru around up the ground and get a few kicks and deliver it into the forward line. Or run in out the back in space and receive it. That's his game.
They're doing the exact opposite with him to the narrative and what they're doing with Clark/Cox etc. If he is indeed pissed off then.... I would be too.

What's got me stuffed is that free seems to have made a commitment to playing blokes in their 'preferred' or 'natural' positions regardless of what's best for the side, and yet we insist on plonking Sonny in a forward pocket where he's Cleary about as useful as **** on a bull... The bloke needs to be up the ground, high HFF for mine. Let hime ru around up the ground and get a few kicks and deliver it into the forward line. Or run in out the back in space and receive it. That's his game.
They're doing the exact opposite with him to the narrative and what they're doing with Clark/Cox etc. If he is indeed pissed off then.... I would be too.
Ultimately a coach should be able to play a player wherever the coach wants. What you're saying is right though, it potentially becomes a problem if there's the appearance of arbitrarily different rules for different players and the affected players resent it, that's when things can unravel fast for a team and it's culture unless the coach is really clear and transparent as to why.
The fault is unlikely to be 100% on one side, Sonny should stop sooking and JLo should be as consistent as he can.

Sonny should stop sooking and JLo should be as consistent as he can.
I think Longmuir is dithering regarding where he wants the players, and I worry that we will end up lacking discipline and fortitude.

I understand building confidence in a familiar position, but usually we are talking about hbf OR wing, not hbf OR ruck/kpf/inside mid.

I think Longmuir is dithering regarding where he wants the players, and I worry that we will end up lacking discipline and fortitude.

I understand building confidence in a familiar position, but usually we are talking about hbf OR wing, not hbf OR ruck/kpf/inside mid.

Genuine question, not playing devil's advocate for the sake of it - do you think he will drop Walters this weekend. Should Walters be dropped?!

Genuine question, not playing devil's advocate for the sake of it - do you think he will drop Walters this weekend. Should Walters be dropped?!
Does a couple of good things, then goes missing. People on here giving Henry a hard time, at least he has time on his side.
I'd like to see Western rewarded, with Walker and Erasmus.
But if we don't play two talls forward?
Its getting to that stage where Walters wont be around for a finals push.
Its starting to feel like we are going backwards before the dead wood is removed.

If Walters plays this week he needs to be put on the ball, we need to fix centre clearance and an experienced head in there would help.

The circumstances around available players makes that too difficult to answer. Ideally Walters is now depth (don't want to be disrespectful to one of our revered players) and this is a week where we probably need our depth. And possibly in the midfield.

Has completely turned it around, its a crime that we rely on him but about 8 weeks to go last year he had finally bought in to his new role(after falling off a cliff under JL), if you ask him about his last 2/3 years before that, i guarantee he has regrets

time to change this thread to a toast, has lifted himself off the canvas and deserves to stick around as long as he commands

Has completely turned it around, its a crime that we rely on him but about 8 weeks to go last year he had finally bought in to his new role(after falling off a cliff under JL), if you ask him about his last 2/3 years before that, i guarantee he has regrets

time to change this thread to a toast, has lifted himself off the canvas and deserves to stick around as long as he commands
Jl has backed him all the way. Never dropped him, and wanted him to build.
The last 8 weeks last season was Walters’ best under Jl, after 3 years.
Not sure what was Walters’ mindset but at 29 and hoping to still be a mid- I’m sure he regrets that now he’s toned as he ever has been in Jian career and kicking goals from everywhere.
Jl and him have had an interesting ride

Wow, a fair few s**t posts on here. Some the same people who are now on the Sonny bandwagon. Fickle lot are footy fans.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm not going to sit here and pretend that most of these posts weren't atleast partially justified

What I will do is acknowledge that he has turned everything around and is once again a star

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of egg on faces here, without him in the side it's quite likely we lose lose the EF last year and maybe even a game like last night.

Even through his bad patch I thought extent of the lack of form was overblown, in saying that what did worry me a bit though was his attitude looked questionable on occasion when he needed to be provided leadership.

When he was copping it last year I was puzzled. He’s in the team for a very good reason regardless of form - he’s an on field coach.

He plays full games against St Kilda and North and we’re 4-1. An unconvincing 4-1, but still there. He’s that good.

With the game played quicker. Small forwards are even more valuable.
Honestly last year he could have been dropped at the start, but at the end he was electric.
Has continued that form this year and full credit to him.
When he does retire it’s going to be difficult to replace, a special mention
to Ross, who instilled the work ethic that you see today.

He's our best forward.

When he's on song and not playing for frees he's one of the best players going around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back