R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Given North effectively got Wardlaw with Goad as a bonus for JHF i thought it would be interesting to hear people's thoughts and preferences.

Wardlaw seems like he’ll have a higher floor, lower ceiling

JHF lower floor, higher ceiling

Personally I’d take Wardlaw

Wardlaw seems like he’ll have a higher floor, lower ceiling

JHF lower floor, higher ceiling

Personally I’d take Wardlaw
Fair call, hadn't thought of it that way. Wanted to post on the mainboard to get more unbiased view so not surprised to see it close atm, so thanks for the feedback.
Both young gun mids but stating they're very different types is an understatement so i hope makes for an interested poll and POVs.

You are deadset blind if you think there is even a comparison to be made here.

Wardlaw is a meat and potatoes Matt Rowell type, and Horne-Francis is a Petracca superstar type.

Wardlaw is a lesser athlete, doesn't have anywhere near the polish of Horne (he is an elite kick already), and doesn't have a capacity to play forward like Horne does.

Wardlaw is a meat and potatoes Matt Rowell type, and Horne-Francis is a Petracca superstar type.

Wardlaw is a lesser athlete, doesn't have anywhere near the polish of Horne (he is an elite kick already), and doesn't have a capacity to play forward like Horne does.
Wardlaw a lesser athlete??? That just proves you have NFI

I'd be careful throwing around the blind comments after that post.

In no possible metric is JHF a better athlete than Wardlaw, infact GW is one of the best power athletes to come through the system since NN or Dangerfield.

This is his CTL preseason testing data of his draft year:

Vertical: 101cm
20m: 2.91
Agility: 8.33
Yo-yo: 600

That's the same vertical as Nic Naitanui, the same 20m as Dangerfield and he would have placed 6th in his combine for the agility test.

The CTL average for the Yo-Yo is 550-600.

When you factor in his core strength around the contest, he may be the best athlete in the AFL, putting endurance testing to the side.

He broke all of Majak Daw's club record PB power tests on his first day at the club. Notice they weren't JHF power testing records?

If they had that sport vs sport athlete challenge from a decade or so ago, GW would be the AFL's #1 pick you'd put up against someone like Billy Slater (and he's still only 19 years old) Slater was a cyborg athlete in most categories.

Last edited:
I was actually thinking it was The Warlord vs jhf. LoL

I like both. Jason Horne Francis is someone I like. Can play inside and outside mid. Can play forward flank and back flank.

Can kick with either foot.

Dockers have a Player similar to JHF. His name is Hayden young

I'd be careful throwing around the blind comments after that post.

In no possible metric is JHF a better athlete than Wardlaw, infact GW is one of the best power athletes to come through the system since NN or Dangerfield.

This is his CTL preseason testing data of his draft year:

Vertical: 101cm
20m: 2.91
Agility: 8.33
Yo-yo: 600

That's the same vertical as Nic Naitanui, the same 20m as Dangerfield and he would have placed 6th in his combine for the agility test.

The CTL average for the Yo-Yo is 550-600.

When you factor in his core strength around the contest, he may be the best athlete in the AFL, putting endurance testing to the side.

He broke all of Majak Daw's club record PB power tests on his first day at the club. Notice they weren't JHF power testing records?

If they had that sport vs sport athlete challenge from a decade or so ago, GW would be the AFL's #1 pick you'd put up against someone like Billy Slater (and he's still only 19 years old) Slater was a cyborg athlete in most categories.
Fair enough, I didn't realise he had posted those numbers.

In saying that, I don't think draft combine numbers are absolutes re the standing of players as athletes.

Both De Goey and Petracca ran sub 3 second 20 metre sprint times (meaning they were only around the 50th percentile or so of players tested for speed), and yet are 2 of the most explosive midfielders of the last 10 years.

I have not seen Wardlaw utilise those kind of athletic gifts at all personally.

Horne often instinctively cuts an angle laterally to burn off opponents.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand why the poll exists but these two players could easily play in the same team and would compliment one another. It’s not an either or situation imo but if I had to choose I’d pick JHF.

Back