Warne to come out of retirement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Warne has far too many business interests on the go to want to come back to test cricket...no doubt he will tease a bit because he's an attention whore but rudd praising assange is about as likely as warne spinning us to victory at sydney next month.

Even if Warne was half the bowler he use to be, he would still be twice the bowler any of our other spin options is.

However if he came back half the bowler he would be steady and improve the attack but he won't be taking ten fors and winning games single handed.

Watching Ponting continue as half the player he use to be is painful enough, I don't think I could stand having my memories of Warne tarnished in the same way.

"He only has three weeks," Nielsen said, referring to when the Ashes series will end.
"I don't know where he is at with it or if he has talked about it. I haven't spoken to the selectors, they are meeting (today) and will have a pretty clear idea of where they are going then."
"Warnie hasn't got a lot of time. He has been working hard in the commentary box, so it might be a bit hard for him to jump out to the middle. If we had to bowl for 150 overs he might feel the heat a bit."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8180815

Warne has far too many business interests on the go to want to come back to test cricket...no doubt he will tease a bit because he's an attention whore but rudd praising assange is about as likely as warne spinning us to victory at sydney next month.

His ego would over-ride his business interests, easily.

I personally think that if came back, it would taint his legacy somewhat, a bit like Lockett and Schumacher. He won't be the same bowler he was four years ago (less match fit, less training), and I wouldn't be surprised if the English decided to take him on as well. Still, he is better than any other option at the moment, but it should never happen.

All this chat is music to the man's ears. Lots of praise but there is only one question in my mind. Would he win us the ashes?

Lets give him 5 wickets every innings. Brisbane England are 6-517. We don't win
Adelaide they only score about 450 so we make them bat again so win by about 7 wickets not an innings. He normally copped a bit of stick in Perth so that won't work. Melbourne or Sydney will get washed out and but are batsman friendly.

So he will not win us the series but will defer the necessary changes for another series.
What makes people think that he could come back and bowl 30 tight wicket taking overs in a day. Have you never played cricket? It will not happen. Warnie is a tool but is not stupid

No way should Warney make a comeback now. He may still be better than any other spinner we have currently but at his age it would only be a short term fix at best and at worst he could end up tainting his reputation and legacy by coming back and performing poorly.

He finished his test career on the ultimate high 4 years ago by winning back the Ashes in a clean sweep and taking 700 wickets, it was a fairytale finish and there is no way he could top that. Coming back now for the sake of winning a few tests would be madness.

I doubt he would seriously contemplate it anyway, he has too many interests outside of cricket and it isn't like he needs the money. I don't think offering him the captaincy would be enough of a carrot either.

No way should Warney make a comeback now. He may still be better than any other spinner we have currently but at his age it would only be a short term fix at best and at worst he could end up tainting his reputation and legacy by coming back and performing poorly.

He finished his test career on the ultimate high 4 years ago by winning back the Ashes in a clean sweep and taking 700 wickets, it was a fairytale finish and there is no way he could top that. Coming back now for the sake of winning a few tests would be madness.

I doubt he would seriously contemplate it anyway, he has too many interests outside of cricket and it isn't like he needs the money. I don't think offering him the captaincy would be enough of a carrot either.[/quote]

warney also knows it'd rip the team to bits and leave us in a worse position as he'd re-retire post ashes.

and then we'd have no captain at all.

I have the solution. Leave Warnie in retirement BUT

Bring back Hilditch, Cox, Chappell and Boon to play at the top of the order. If they fail they have to agree to resign as selectors and players and administrators for life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be what they need, frankly.

Hardly. What they need is a consistent selection policy that outlines a future, not a fly by the seat of their pants with cutting players after one test or two tests. It's a disgrace and now we've lost another two tests on chopping and changing a spinner, when it would have better sticking with Hauritz or putting Smith in (as much as I'd hate to see it) and giving him 10 tests.

I have the solution. Leave Warnie in retirement BUT

Bring back Hilditch, Cox, Chappell and Boon to play at the top of the order. If they fail they have to agree to resign as selectors and players and administrators for life.
Wouldn't it be embarrassing though when (not if) they make more runs than the top order of the team they've selected... :D;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Warne to come out of retirement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back