Phil McCreviss

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 29, 2007
Manhattan, New York
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yankees, Giants
Now bear with me on this one. A close friend of mine is a nuerosurgeon and understands the intricacies of the brain of which I readily admit have no idea about.

His summary of Riewoldt's concussion was severe resulting in involuntary convulsion which is the brains way of shutting down because of the trauma to the head.

Anyway, the end result is this. No human/player who reacts this way to a concussion can run around and have any sense of balance or middle ear alignment. Yet he got up, ran a perfectly straight line and played an amazing 3rd quarter.

Now I know some Saints supporters will get on here claiming he is superhuman but he also cries when he breaks his collarbone so I can only go off the medical assessment. In the end, it has worked a treat because I reckon Lake looked at Riewoldt and relaxed a bit thinking he was gone.

Well played Saints.

You think Riewoldt faked a concussion to get away from Lake?

...That's surprisingly believable.

he was definitely stunned. the close up of his eyes was revealing.

and really, faking Kosi trying to kill him to get rid of Lake. :eek::confused::eek:;)

I was amazed at how quickly he recovered though. Obviously knocked out and he seemed to go into a fit or something. Surely the docs would have dragged him off?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now bear with me on this one. A close friend of mine is a nuerosurgeon and understands the intricacies of the brain of which I readily admit have no idea about.

His summary of Riewoldt's concussion was severe resulting in involuntary convulsion which is the brains way of shutting down because of the trauma to the head.

Anyway, the end result is this. No human/player who reacts this way to a concussion can run around and have any sense of balance or middle ear alignment. Yet he got up, ran a perfectly straight line and played an amazing 3rd quarter.

Now I know some Saints supporters will get on here claiming he is superhuman but he also cries when he breaks his collarbone so I can only go off the medical assessment. In the end, it has worked a treat because I reckon Lake looked at Riewoldt and relaxed a bit thinking he was gone.

Well played Saints.
Was Riewoldt truly concussed?
IMOO, only slightly, he brain looked stunned, but didn't shut down. It was only shocked, you can see he was trying to get up strait away, that's thinking, trying to react, but the body couldn't respond until the brain reorganized itself.. He was quickly up & about, but noticeably later in the Qtr, he was slow to react when the ball came at him from close by.
IMO, he'll be fine for next week.

I thought he was spasming due to the awkward way he landed on his back (disrupting nerves in the spine), rather than any hit to head. The way Koschitzke was holding his arms up, there wouldn't have been any stiffness/solid force to run into, certainly not enough to concuss Riewoldt.

It was like the terminator almost shutting down and being killed before re-booting and kicking ass.

roflcopter.gif

Well considering the blank look on his face and then the body twitches that followed, there was definately something wrong. But to get up and play like that was a bit odd for a serious concussion.

couldve been a nerve thing. sometimes peoples nerve system can twitch and move their whole body even if theyre just sitting down so i can imagine that getting a whack to the head and falling on your back might do something similar.

also i dont think he was right for at least a couple minutes afterwards. the commentators made a deal about how he was straight back into a marking conest but really he just sorta stood at the back and jumped a little bit. to me it looked like he misjudged it completely.

His body weirded out, who cares what it was called, his nerves twitched in a crazy way.

Phil - ask your mate to view it again, and look at the whipping action of his neck (and the consequent slam of the head into the ground) when he came down, instead of Kosi's elbow.

I reckon that's what did it, but not sure whether that would cause the reaction.

Yeah mate he actually read your post and said good point but in his time studying medicine, he has never heard of this type of trauma causing convulsions as Riewoldt exhibited.

I would think that type of concussion would result in at least a stretcher. My mate seems to think that any convulsing could lead to long term brain degradation.

To all the idiots out there that dont realise that you dont need to be poleaxed to suffer a concussion.... pull your heads in!

Oh & Luke Ball tore his hammy off the bone & didnt return so he's fine for this week..... Ha... he's fine too!

Ducks & Drakes............ Smoke & Mirrors!!! :D

couldve been a nerve thing. sometimes peoples nerve system can twitch and move their whole body even if theyre just sitting down so i can imagine that getting a whack to the head and falling on your back might do something similar.

also i dont think he was right for at least a couple minutes afterwards. the commentators made a deal about how he was straight back into a marking conest but really he just sorta stood at the back and jumped a little bit. to me it looked like he misjudged it completely.

Just passing on what I heard but any convulsing of that magnitude has to be neurological, not an isolated muscle spasm. So in this case it is highly likely it is sever concussion...but interestingly with no side effects.

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Riewoldt truly concussed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back