Play Nice Was that Gaffs last game for WC?

Remove this Banner Ad

There is reasonable evidence to suggest that was the case- but none of us will probably ever know for sure unless Gaff inexplicably confesses to aiming for his head. Although there are a lot of fans who would like to discount this because they are baying for Gaff's blood.

Yeah I struggle to believe that an AFL player who regularly engages in boxing training and has superior hand-eye coordination to most of the population could miss that badly. This `evidence` that Brayshaw `slightly lowered his body` is laughable.

Question for the WC fans.

Say it was Tom Cole playing on Steven Hill who had his jaw broken, four teeth loosened and was going to miss the rest of the year.

What punishment would you be asking Hill to be subject to?

6-8 weeks - 6 would probably be the minimum.

Either that or prison + life ban and some kind of public stoning. Obviously..

Awful from Gaff, deserves whatever comes his way, but fans at the game (Eagles and Freo alike) had no idea that it had happened. It was behind the play and no replays were shown. Sure, some on the wing might have seen it and some might have checked their phones, but as far as the majority of the crowd was concerned, the narrative was:

1. Johnson smashes Gaff with a high hit
2. Gaff stands up and fights back later on with a goal
3. Crowd cheers

No condoning of his violence, no support for what he did, they just straight up didn't know.

With all this over the top sooking from Freo Fans I'm starting to hope Gaff gets off. Keep this shit up and any sympathy from other clubs will quickly wane, playing the victim card like I have never seen before.

Call it how you want. Forget the name or age of the players involved, or the clubs they play for, or the town they live in. What happened is indefensible and is a terrible look for the game. The reality is, that if it happened in the crowd then the offender would have been arrested and would be being charged with assault. I would like to see a severe penalty from within the AFL and criminal action taken by the victim.

If you want to call that over the top sooking then have at it. I coach at amateur level and there is no doubt that on field violence is a major issue in our code. It needs to be stamped out and a stand should be being made here.

Yep 6 to 8 is fine for me, it will be 7 weeks in between, his character will come into it, but he should get a fair whack. The AFL should just stamp out all punches out of the game
If the AFL actually made an effort to stamp out gut and chest punches then these sort of accidents would occur a lot less.

Cotchin seemed to have free rein to punch people in the guts last year.

Banning it all might be simpler. At least it’s a black and white rule. No intentional striking with a fist - be it face, chest, guts, whatever.

This.

It doesn't exonerate Gaff. It doesn't excuse Gaff. But it frames his actions in the environment that is allowed.

As I've already pointed out Jordan Lewis punched Patrick Cripps and fractured his jaw. Cripps played the following week, Lewis got 3 weeks. Jumper punches, gut punches etc. go unpunished all the time. It's the wrong attitude to offer light penalties for punches (high and otherwise) and then hang the first guy who throws a punch that leads to a broken jaw.

Gaff's punch didn't look that bad but Brayshaw has a broken jaw. If Brayshaw was fine and came back on Gaff would be facing a pretty minor sanction and that's wrong.

Gaff will cop his whack and rightfully so. The injury outcomes way different as well obviously

There are still Freo fans on your board however feeling aggrieved about the Gray incident and defending Nyhuis.

He picked someone up and slammed him to the turf, what were you expecting to happen? You've been on your high horse throughout the saga for Eagles fans defending Gaff then turn around and do the same thing for Nyhuis.

All fans have their own slanted view of things, you are as guilty as anyone else of this.

Deflect, deflect, deflect you just can't help yourself

All we are getting from you lot is

Didn't mean to hit him in the head
So out of character
RTB is a sexual predator
Gaff will be devastated
Brayshaw started it

Now you are comparing the actions of a player who commited a clumsy tackle which earnt a 3 week holiday, to an off the ball king hit which has left a player in hospital requiring surgery to fix a broken jaw and 4 displaced teeth

Cameron got 5 weeks for his hit which sent Harris Andrews to hospital with bleeding on the brain and delayed concussion, Andrews missed 5 games

Nyhuis got only 2 less for a clumsy tackle that momentarily knocked out Robbie Gray, yet he played the following week. BTW show me one post where I blamed Robbie Gray

Gaff's coward punch on an 18 yr old Rookie has put Brayshaw out for the season, he can't eat solids for the next 4 weeks

Six weeks.

I hope you're not trying to bait the couple of edgy posters into responding.
Not at all, genuinely interested if it is club loyalty that has some suggesting that it wasn't that bad or if they genuinely think that

If the AFL actually made an effort to stamp out gut and chest punches then these sort of accidents would occur a lot less.

Cotchin seemed to have free rein to punch people in the guts last year.

Banning it all might be simpler. At least it’s a black and white rule. No intentional striking with a fist - be it face, chest, guts, whatever.

Very simple - any punch, anywhere, is a week (at least). You'd find it gone from the game very quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deflect, deflect, deflect you just can't help yourself

All we are getting from you lot is

Didn't mean to hit him in the head
So out of character
RTB is a sexual predator
Gaff will be devastated
Brayshaw started it

Now you are comparing the actions of a player who commited a clumsy tackle which earnt a 3 week holiday, to an off the ball king hit which has left a player in hospital requiring surgery to fix a broken jaw and 4 displaced teeth

Cameron got 5 weeks for his hit which sent Harris Andrews to hospital with bleeding on the brain and delayed concussion, Andrews missed 5 games

Nyhuis got only 2 less for a clumsy tackle that momentarily knocked out Robbie Gray, yet he played the following week. BTW show me one post where I blamed Robbie Gray

Gaff's coward punch on an 18 yr old Rookie has put Brayshaw out for the season, he can't eat solids for the next 4 weeks
The tackle by Nyhuis was a lot more dangerous than this hit by Gaff in terms of long term health. Refer Koby Stevens who retired at 27 from concussion a few weeks ago. Don't see a player retiring from a broken jaw

Not at all, genuinely interested if it is club loyalty that has some suggesting that it wasn't that bad or if they genuinely think that

Some are suggesting that Brayshaw slipping/ducking meant that he copped it in the jaw instead of the chest which was what Gaff was aiming for, but according to other posters this means we're defending the indefensible. It is merely context as to why this happened.

Either way you throw your fist out you have to accept the consequences even if it wasn't planned. I am sure Gaff didn't want to break Brayshaw's jaw (I am aware some posters will argue otherwise but that's my view) but it has happened and he is a real chance of not playing again until 2019, and deservedly so.

If you accept that the crowd didn't know what happened why do you hold the players to a different standard? The other 21 players would have been preoccupied with where the ball was at the moment (same as the crowd), this incident was off the ball.

So why did they get around him like they did if they didn't know? It didn't look like a run of the mill goal celebration in a romping win?

6 weeks is probably the minimum for the lottery with 10 being the maximum, we’ll just have to see how Christian draws out the numbers

Christian wont be drawing out anything other than the grading of the charge.

Makes me sick to see so many West Coast posters trying to justify or even excuse Gaff's actions. People here are calling the public's response 'hysteria' but in reality people are justifiably outraged, sickened and upset by the Coward Punch. I think trying to gloss over the act just makes West Coast supporters seem callous and uncaring. If this was done on the street or in the pub the Police would be called and Gaff could (and may still) see goal time. Regardless of his intention, provocation, character or other previous actions, what Gaff did was a grievous crime. You can't sugarcoat this or try and gloss over that. He caused a horrendous amount of damage to an unsuspecting victim and must be made an example of.

If the AFL are concerned about the look of the game, then this act is the worst sort of publicity the game could have. I can't see the AFL allowing Gaff to play for a long time to come.

yeah look another one

can’t even read like three posts up
Still going. Stay classy

Nothing pisses me off more then a cowards punch and to see you absolute scumbugs defending it is just truly pathetic. This goes beyond club loyalties

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't want to jump into 'OMG HOW CAN U DEFEND HIM???' territory but Brayshaw's season has 3 games left.

Putting a player out for a number of weeks is unacceptable but 'ended his season' is deliberately emotive language.

Mate if you deliberately whack someone with your elbow on or off the ball its a shit act.
On the scale of in play vs this, it's nothing.

Even Bickleys hit on Wakelin, which I see as one if the worst, pales to this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Was that Gaffs last game for WC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back