Wasted Talent Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
So folks, who is the biggest waste of talent to have played for the AFC? Here’s my 3-2-1.

1. Jacob Schuback: And yes this is legit. I was there at the Dome for his debut where he kicked a goal from approximately 100 metres out. Well, slight exaggeration but nonetheless it was a great goal. He had good pace and a booming left leg. Any chance of re-drafting him? ;) :(

2. Chris Ladhams: Take a look at his form in 2003, he was starting to hit his straps but it was all downhill from there. Kicked 20 goals and what about that ripper goal he kicked against the Dogs (pretty sure it was WB) where he took on 3 opponents and drilled it. :D Lethal left boot which could’ve won him a Coleman…

3. James Begley: Only played 25 games with the Crows but had big upside. Silky smooth and with good skills, sadly he never reached his potential.

Angwin or Watts would have to be up there...quality top draft picks there...

maybe even Eugene Warrior. full on talent - but in the end full of grog.

1. Ryan Fitzgerald could have been a superstar if he wasnt so bloody injury prone

2. Fergus Watts, what he did in the SANFL finals in '05 was pretty damn good

3 Daniel Schell or Justin Cicolella

Angwin doesnt count because he ****ed it up for himself

1. Ryan Fitzgerald could have been a superstar if he wasnt so bloody injury prone

2. Fergus Watts, what he did in the SANFL finals in '05 was pretty damn good

3 Daniel Schell or Justin Cicolella

Angwin doesnt count because he ****ed it up for himself
Well, because he did stuff it up for himself that's why he counts!

As for Schell and Cicolella, they were just not up to AFL standard. IMO I wouldn't call them wasted talents.

Angwin was just a prick who didnt care about his footy career though, I 'spose Schell & Cica weren't up to AFL standards at the time but they've stared for their clubs in the SANFL ever since maybe given more time like they gave Smith things could have worked out better... couldnt wait for Begley to be delisted every time he had the ball it was going to be a turnover

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So folks, who is the biggest waste of talent to have played for the AFC? Here’s my 3-2-1.

1. Jacob Schuback: And yes this is legit. I was there at the Dome for his debut where he kicked a goal from approximately 100 metres out. Well, slight exaggeration but nonetheless it was a great goal. He had good pace and a booming left leg. Any chance of re-drafting him? ;) :(

2. Chris Ladhams: Take a look at his form in 2003, he was starting to hit his straps but it was all downhill from there. Kicked 20 goals and what about that ripper goal he kicked against the Dogs (pretty sure it was WB) where he took on 3 opponents and drilled it. :D Lethal left boot which could’ve won him a Coleman…

3. James Begley: Only played 25 games with the Crows but had big upside. Silky smooth and with good skills, sadly he never reached his potential.
I agree that Chris Ladhams couldve been a great player
i dont really no what happened to him
He was very skilled, but he just didnt get very far

Great thread.

1. Lawrence Angwin. Definition of wasted talent. Just because it was his own fault doesn't mean anything. He had tremendous talent and he wasted it. Absolute dropkick. Could've been anything as a footy player.

2. Ryan Fitzgerald. This boy could play footy and his body let him down. It was a real shame because he could still be playing in our forward line and kicking 60+ goals a year. Had height, could take a grab and bang them through the big sticks.

3. Andrew Crowell. Had fantastic speed and good height. I was a bit surprised when he got delisted but his body also let him down. I was tempted to give with another tall forward to go for the trifecta but Crowell sneaks in. Had plenty of talent but just never quite got the most out of himself.

Any takers for Shane Tongerie? I was very young at the time and living in Vic was far removed from his story but I was going bananas over his first game but then he just disappeared off the scene. Was he a talent or did he just get lucky on debut?

Tongerie was supposed to be THE next big Aboriginal star but it never really worked out for the guy. My 3, in no particular order would be

1. Ryan Fitzgerald - The guy kicked a bag on debut for Sydney and was going gang-busters until the body let go, never really got into the swing of it here for the same reason

2. Lawrence Angwin - The guy had so much talent it was unreal. I know you cant take much from junior footy but some of the footage I have seen, then guy just flat out dominated.

3. Jacob Schuback - I remember that game against the Hawks where he kicked 4 and got Brownlow votes, then he copped an injury and completely disappeared. Could have been something.

Crowell and Begley didnt have that X-factor which held them back, along with injuries and Ladhams is, and always will be, a meathead. Jericho will be added to this list unless something drastic happens in the next 12 months. Great thread though.

Just to throw some names out there Ben Marsh looked amazing first game up followed by a loss of form lasting the rest of his career. Andrew Eccles and Clay Sampson also both looked like players but had careers mauled by injuries. Brent Williams was another who seemed to have talent by the bucketloads. And lets not forget Sugar Johnson who wasted his talent by going to Richmond:eek:

Lance Piacone

<thread>
Oh yeah

I went to Uni with him. Dumbest person there, I am sure that the Crows bend some rules to get there players into uni. He strutted around City west like he owned the joint. But in tutorials never offered anything usefull. He left after one and half semesters. Failed everything.

Yes! I should've mentioned him. Had the height, speed and athleticism to be a gun.

Round 14 2002 v Fremantle. I have this game on tape for some reason and he was brilliant.

Wasted. :(
he wasn't really wasted, he got dropped in 2004 (i think) after 2 or 3 baddish games, and did his knee in the SANFL the next week

i reckon he was more unlucky more than anything..

adam saliba should be the top of the list, 3 games, 2 pearlers and then never heard of again...

i would also put scott hodges in there too

Ricky Olaughlin, however you spell it...
he played at kapunda this year, kicked 9 goals in 1 game, and another bag in another, and went missing the rest of the season

some things don't change... :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasted Talent Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Back