Wasted Talent Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes! I should've mentioned him. Had the height, speed and athleticism to be a gun.

Round 14 2002 v Fremantle. I have this game on tape for some reason and he was brilliant.

Wasted. :(

We played Collingwood in Round 14 2002 and got beaten badly on our home ground.

Saliba is now playing for Callington in the Hills league.

Generally with ex afl players who can pick them, they stand out as being that class above regulae country footballers, this bloke is no where near it.

Watching him, you would have no idea he was once on an AFL list.

3 - Laurence Angwin - Massive talent that was already apparent in his first year of SANFL. Imagine Kurt Tippett, but better at a younger age.

2 - Andrew Jarman - Perhaps a strange choice but when his AFL career ended at the end of 96 he was still good enough to be and should have been an elite AFL player for a few years yet.

1 - Lance Picioane - This choice was a bit harder. I could have chosen a number of players, most of whom, like Picioane, were first round draft picks. I picked Picioane because unlike some others (like Meesen) Picioane actually showed a bit of his talent at AFL level early on.

Also, Chris Ladhams deserves a mention.

I've avoided mentioning players who were cut down due injury.

Matthew Liptak, never got his consistent best

Very good Call!!! He was a star but just couldn't stay fully fit, he could've been up there with our best. He's a doctor and did research into players with knee reco's i saw the article the other day!

Mark Stevens was another great one, not sure who mentioned him but another great call

both struck by the injury curse!

Tom Gilligan or Ashley Fernee.

Wasted Talent due to injury award goes to - Mark Stevens

Ashlee - pick 69 in possibly the worst draft in history, and 2 nothing games - Fernee?

he was a nothing pick, plucked out as an after thought in a terrible, terrible draft class that did nothing.

Gilligan may have become something, but at least he was a proper prospect :p

Ashlee - pick 69 in possibly the worst draft in history, and 2 nothing games - Fernee?

he was a nothing pick, plucked out as an after thought in a terrible, terrible draft class that did nothing.

Gilligan may have become something, but at least he was a proper prospect :p

Bullshit!

Fernee shut down Stewart Lowe one game, never to be heard from again!

Im not sure if anyone remembers from the early years but a player by the name of Seb Packer... he was some years above me at school and was an absolutely outstanding talent. He was cruelly cut down with a chronic knee injury playing in a student vs teacher basketball game. The crows still kept him on the list even tho his injury was pretty much career ending and i belive he had has his knee cap removed. Despite the disability still played about 3 league games for sturt , kicked goals and polled magary votes in all of them i believe. Could have been anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wow! how the "mighty" fall!

ricky o is another that comes to mind. he played for kapunda in the barossa league last year, played a fair few of those games, and did a couple of nice things, and then went bang with 9 goals (mostly from HBF!)

Bullshit!

Fernee shut down Stewart Lowe one game, never to be heard from again!

nonsense.

ignoring the fact that I very much doubt you remember than game as you'd be about 4 at the time;

however, he only played 2 games. in each game, he amassed 1 handball and 1 kick. for 2 disposals.

in round 22 1996, versus St Kilda:

Ashlee Fernee 2 disposals 0 marks. 1 tackle.
Stewart Loewe. 16 disposals (8/8) 7 marks 4 goals.

nor do I even think he played on Loewe.

Im not sure if anyone remembers from the early years but a player by the name of Seb Packer... he was some years above me at school and was an absolutely outstanding talent. He was cruelly cut down with a chronic knee injury playing in a student vs teacher basketball game. The crows still kept him on the list even tho his injury was pretty much career ending and i belive he had has his knee cap removed. Despite the disability still played about 3 league games for sturt , kicked goals and polled magary votes in all of them i believe. Could have been anything.

Yeah I remember. Seb Packer was thought to be a grade A prospect.

nonsense.

ignoring the fact that I very much doubt you remember than game as you'd be about 4 at the time;

however, he only played 2 games. in each game, he amassed 1 handball and 1 kick. for 2 disposals.

Yep, Fernee was a spud. Really not sure how his myth grew in the years afterward. Mistaken identity - Jon Ross? Who knows.

nonsense.

6, and i vividly recall the Advertiser proclaiming his game on Lowe wonderful. Keeping Lowe to 7 marks in 1996 was also not the most embarassing feat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasted Talent Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Back