Richard Tambling
How refreshing!

Death to Katich :mad:

Gilly & Wato open @ the World Cup! :cool:

* Great opening partnership - Gilly the smacker, Watto the technquie player
* You get an extra alrounder in the side, + open up another spot

:)

Watson is poo and unreliable.

Jaques would be a better option as an opener, but then you would have to drop another batter for Watson, and Watson isn't very good at the end of the innings so should be in the top 4, but the other 3 positions are well set, so it is probably best for team balance that Watson opens.

SthnX said:
How bout we drop Martyn, wats he done lately
Went alright in the practice game. ;)

But Marto wouldn't want a drop in form.

IMO, Martyn should probably be playing in the Tests & not the ODI's to prolong his career.

Possible ODI line-up:

1. Gilchrist
2. Jaques
3. Ponting
4. Watson
5. Symonds
6. Clarke
7. Hussey
8. Hogg
9. Lee
10. Bracken
11. McGrath

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the Watson as opener move is going to be a long term one. Eventually, either his batting or bowling will suffer, particularly if he is going to bowl 10 overs in most matches. It just would take too much out of him, particularly with the hectic one day schedule. I still think he will ultimately settle at 2nd drop and 2nd change bowler in both forms of cricket.

POBT said:
I don't think the Watson as opener move is going to be a long term one. Eventually, either his batting or bowling will suffer, particularly if he is going to bowl 10 overs in most matches. It just would take too much out of him, particularly with the hectic one day schedule. I still think he will ultimately settle at 2nd drop and 2nd change bowler in both forms of cricket.
I reckon he'll handle it - his fitness levels are unbelievable right now, he's a machine.

But having said that I'd be just as happy with KM's lineup above.

Kane McGoodwin said:
Went alright in the practice game. ;)

But Marto wouldn't want a drop in form.

IMO, Martyn should probably be playing in the Tests & not the ODI's to prolong his career.

Possible ODI line-up:

1. Gilchrist
2. Jaques
3. Ponting
4. Watson
5. Symonds
6. Clarke
7. Hussey
8. Hogg
9. Lee
10. Bracken
11. McGrath
What the hell is with you people and Phil Jaques?

Matty Hayden all the way.

Having Watson at 4 (Above guys like Symonds, Clarke and Hussey :eek:) is ridiculous. Really he has to either open or be dropped. However, Hayden is the much superior option for that role.

Cassius_Clay said:
What the hell is with you people and Phil Jaques?

Matty Hayden all the way.

Having Watson at 4 (Above guys like Symonds, Clarke and Hussey :eek:) is ridiculous. Really he has to either open or be dropped. However, Hayden is the much superior option for that role.
Jaques is the future, whereas Hayden is the past. Let him concentrate on Tests.

IMO, the openers are more important than #4, in terms of setting up the innings & I rate Jaques higher than Watson as an opener. Punter is a must @ #3 & I reckon Watson can play Marto's consolidation role @ #4 in the middle overs.

Symonds, Clarke & Hussey are all better later in the innings than Watson to accelerate the run rate. However, if the top 3 batsman bat most of the innings, then you change the order around & promote the attacking players up the order.

I don't see why Hussey couldn't open with Gilchrist. He's in stunning form and the two of them could effectively kill the game in the first 20 overs.

Having said that, I'm glad Watson is opening instead of Katich.

pav_is_god said:
I don't see why Hussey couldn't open with Gilchrist. He's in stunning form and the two of them could effectively kill the game in the first 20 overs.

Hussey is the best finisher in world cricket! You would never move him!

Blues_Man said:
agreed ...if it ain't broke ...then don't fix it

Exactly and it is not as if we are starved of openers! Watson, Jaques, Cosgrove, Clarke (I rate him as a opener), Birt, etc. There is no need to move the best finisher in world cricket as the options we have are fine.

DIG said:
I reckon he'll handle it - his fitness levels are unbelievable right now, he's a machine.

But having said that I'd be just as happy with KM's lineup above.
It is a massive burden. Gilly does it but he rarely bats more than 20 overs and so the physical toll of batting may not be as great - he is also a freak which helps. Essentially, the guy has to bat and bowl in a front line capacity in pretty much every match he plays. Fit or not, I reckon that would take its toll.

Ian chappell had a good point with hussey though, as an opener using the power plays he could more often than not take away the need for a saviour at 5-6.

it's nt a good sign if your number 5 is having to try and save you in one day matches on a regular basis because even hussey will have a dip in form at some point.

your top 4 needs to be making most of the runs most of the time in one day cricket with 20 overs of power play thats even more true.

You need a guy down the order that is a "floater" as I call it. He is the best finisher in world cricket. If the side loses 3 quick wickets, Hussey gets moved up to steady the ship. You don't need 2 bashers of the ball up the top of the order and Watson is hardly a slowcoach anyway. We have enough openers. if you are really obsessed with another basher then Clarke to open and Watson in at 5 but I like their choice now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Watson & Gilly partnership!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back