Wayne Carey retirement/tribute thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They said he would retire immediately because of his neck problem, to avoid risk of further damage.

Ironically, I always said I would travel to see his last game when he was at North.
As it turned out I have, as his last match was in Perth a fortnight ago and I was there.

The best I have ever seen...on the field anyway.

I think it turned out to be a good thing with the Carey affair. When Carey had the affair he was almost going to retire and was no longer providing. But then we got to trade this old almost about to retire player who was no longer great for an amazing up and coming younster in Daniel Wells. So things did turn out for the best.

Originally posted by george1
I think it turned out to be a good thing with the Carey affair. When Carey had the affair he was almost going to retire and was no longer providing. But then we got to trade this old almost about to retire player who was no longer great for an amazing up and coming younster in Daniel Wells. So things did turn out for the best.
Yes I guess your right in that the end result was that we got Wells but i still wish the whole thing didn't happen. Stevo deserved better.

I can never be proven right or wrong on this... but I still believe before Carey left he had just finished his best pre-season for years... fitter then he had been for years... almost good enough to Captain a Premership Team in 2002... so for me we have to be happy with the Wells trade... but I would love to know what 2002 really should have been like without all that mess... Three times a Premiership Captain would certainly rate hime the best ever not just the Best I had ever seen...

We have had only a handful of game where "the king" has shown what he can do, You lot had him for ten or so years. I for one feel privileged to have been able to seem him play 28 games, Well done duck you will always be the king.

Long live the king.

Have no doubt he is the best to ever play.

Name a player that won more games for his team than Carey - week after week - playing the toughest position of all.

My biggest disappointment is that he didn't finish at the Kangas and get the send off the greatest ever deserves.

Long live the King and thanks for the memories and god are their plenty of them.

Feel a bit sad about this news.

As much as I love Wells, I would swap him back for the Carey saga to have never happened.

Undoubtedly the best player ever to take the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Five years from now when Wells is in the top five players of the AFL only then will some oxygen thief journalist think to write an article 'gee wasn't it a mixed blessing when Carey left', before finishing with some vague and pathetic attempt at humour that 'maybe Carey's betrayal was good for North!'.

It will take them five years to come up with that. For now though they have six weeks of debating whether or not Adelaide did the right thing and how weird is it that Carey, Ayres and Smart left the club at the same time.

Originally posted by RooBunny
Good - get out of football and don't let the door hit you on the way out - you arrogant, ungrateful jerk... you should have had grace and gave up in 2002...you were on the way out anyway.

Rant over...

I'm sorry, obviously I have issues, because I hate Wayne Carey, I feel like North are a part of me, and when he in my opinion betrayed North, he betrayed me and I don't forgive that...maybe in time I will, but for now even the sight of his face makes me seethe...

It happened a few years back. Get over it!

Originally posted by SpecialBruce

Some people have issues with the whole situation and I don't really have a problem with it.

Enforcing your own view on other people however is a little bit much.

Some people want to forgive and forget (including stevens it seems ) and some people seem to hold on.

Neither opinion really matters if everyone is civil about it

Both opinions matter! I got over it by trying not to think about it until one day I just didn't care anymore. I respect those who still hurt, and I respect those that say it's time to move on. I applaud any effort he makes to rebuild bridges with the club, but at the same time I think it will be a while before everyone celebrates his entrance at a next Roo function.

I really hope the club doesn't try and rush him back for a high profile role in 2005.

Originally posted by SpecialBruce
How about you go write another song about yourself! What the hell are you doing on our board anyway, pi$$ off!! Doors that way
icon2.gif

Originally posted by scottywiper
They said he would retire immediately because of his neck problem, to avoid risk of further damage.

Ironically, I always said I would travel to see his last game when he was at North.
As it turned out I have, as his last match was in Perth a fortnight ago and I was there.

The best I have ever seen...on the field anyway.
Was at Subi to sad not to be able to give a proper send off
Maybe at the GF like they have done before for retiring players,hopefully not too many boos.
GREATEST CENTRE HALF FORWARD OF ALL TIME.
Sorry just had to shout that

I was only 10 when Carey started at North. We weren't a very good team, I can't say I felt a whole lot of passion for them. Carey, through his immense skill, bravery and superhuman feats made me love footy and love North Melbourne. The way he represented the North Melbourne F/C had a huge impact in making me the proud and passionate supporter I am today. Without doubt the best player ever. Can see myself telling my grandkids that one day (Got the videos to prove it). Thanks for the memories Duck. You will always be the King.

Best player EVER.......................and we were the envy of other teams supporters for being so priveleged to have him leading OUR team. I was as pi$$ed as anyone in the wake of his betrayal of Stevo, and everyone else involved. It tore the heart out of all we believed in so passionately. THAT time has passed for me too.

Not only did our players walk a foot taller with the King patrolling CHF with his arrogant and physical "I'll initiate the intimidation body contact............not my opponent", but so too did we, the Roos' faithful.

The memories of the King in full flight are many..............way too many to mention here. Whether it be the night he tore Timmy Watson a new ar$ehole in the final quarter trouncing of the Bombers (alongside the rampaging Johnny Longmire) in '93, or his dominance of the "extra time" against the Hawks, or a million others which followed, no one made this bloke prouder than "the King"........................and like a wayward family member...............no one made me more disappointed and sad too. We rode the emotional rollercoaster for many years, and the King almost singlehandedly handed us the highlights.

I too wish he'd stayed a Roo, and that the crap of 2001 hadn't broken such a tight family. That's life............................and at this moment I'm reminded more of the great moments he gave me. The sight of him at Arden St, in GF week of '99, having a kid around and seeing him muck around by having a crack at goal multiple times............not just any usual kick for goal though..............he was bet that he couldn't ping a left foot torpedo from a 45 degree angle outside 50m. He not only did first go, but then backed it up a few more times just to prove it wasn't a fluke. THAT was freakish, and symbolic of just how talented our KING was.

Sad to see it end Duck, but glad the Adelaide chapter's over. I hope a year completely away from the game will assist to mend any fences still requiring attention at the Roos.

Cheers to you for a great career, and for taking me on a wild ride of emotion throughout.

Twinkletoes

This is a thread dedicated to the retirement of our greatest ever player , and all i can read so far from the 25 or so posts is how well we did from the draft getting wells or one poster saying "i hate Wayne Carey" , please people start another thread with that rubbish .

LONG LIVE THE KING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayne Carey retirement/tribute thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back