Wayne Carey

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the best footballer I've seen live, is right up there with sheer acts of brilliance with those in the elk of Darren Jarman, of which there are few.

Carey's domination over Geelong in the Sunday Night Q/F against Geeeeelong in 97 or 98 was the best single handed dominance of a finals match I can remember. Kicked about a million goals, 3000 touches and no one could get near him. From memory Kangas lost?

Carey's domination over Geelong in the Sunday Night Q/F against Geeeeelong in 97 or 98 was the best single handed dominance of a finals match I can remember. Kicked about a million goals, 3000 touches and no one could get near him. From memory Kangas lost?
The Sunday night QF against Geelong (2nd) was in 97 and the Roos (7th) won.
Carey did indeed dominate that night, but an even better finals performance against the Cats was the 94 PF. Kicked 6 goals, had about 4 opponents on the day and was BOG by a mile playing injured.

The Sunday night QF against Geelong (2nd) was in 97 and the Roos (7th) won.
Carey did indeed dominate that night, but an even better finals performance against the Cats was the 94 PF. Kicked 6 goals, had about 4 opponents on the day and was BOG by a mile playing injured.

********en oath, he tore his calf muscle the week before, was a six week injury, didnt train, couldnt walk, came into the game and did that.

Seriously one of the greatest performances on a football field that game of Careys in 94

********en oath, he tore his calf muscle the week before, was a six week injury, didnt train, couldnt walk, came into the game and did that.

Seriously one of the greatest performances on a football field that game of Careys in 94
It was his performances in that 94 finals series against Hawthorn and Geelong that earned him his champion status, even at such a tender age.

I found a few other vids of carey taking marks and such, enjoy.

[youtube]i-rehqX5CA0[/youtube]

[youtube]Nq1MBZBoAqE[/youtube]

Heres a video i know kanga fans will love.
[youtube]HY1jEcDvEKw[/youtube]

this one is painful to watch for me
[youtube]Bs1l1rN6aqs[/youtube]

I found a few other vids of carey taking marks and such, enjoy.

[youtube]i-rehqX5CA0[/youtube]

[youtube]Nq1MBZBoAqE[/youtube]

Heres a video i know kanga fans will love.
[youtube]HY1jEcDvEKw[/youtube]

this one is painful to watch for me
[youtube]Bs1l1rN6aqs[/youtube]
Thanks so much danzen22 for those Wayne Carey videos good work watching those videos really cheers me up:thumbsu:

And to think there are still some people who reckon Ablett was the greatest ever. No player in the history of the game won more games for his team than Carey - add the pressure of captaincy and playing the hardest position on the ground to dominate, you have the greatest player ever. There is no doubt.

And to think there are still some people who reckon Ablett was the greatest ever. No player in the history of the game won more games for his team than Carey - add the pressure of captaincy and playing the hardest position on the ground to dominate, you have the greatest player ever. There is no doubt.

That left-foot banana against the 'Dons in '99 was just CRAZY... I wasn't able to go to that game but I think it would've been one of the best games of the 90's... two genuine top teams going at it, goal for goal, both power forwards (Carey and Lloyd) kicking 10 and 7 respectively. The 1999 GF would've been one of the best in the modern era had it been Essendon vs North Melbourne

Thats awesome! Gotta love Carey. I wish Carey was as good as these clips when he came to the Crows...

"Carey the king...Hes got it again!!" - Bruce

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's my favourite.

In abysmal wet weather conditions in the first week of the 99 finals, in one motion he ran to the arc, then doubled back to the square and took that towering chest mark over a pack of 2-3 defenders and the odd teammate.

Majestic.

Always wondered if he was the 3rd best player ever or the 2nd, after watching these im convinced he was the second greatest player ever, what a champ

It's off a CD-Rom that was selling in about 1999 by MCD Video Card.

They had about 20 different ones with club or player highlights.
I have a Geelong one of these. I am trying to play it but can't get the program to install. The video will play in Media Player fine, but without the video. Do you know what codec will play it?

Cheers

The OP video is fantastic. Awesome marks running with the flight. Superb goals.

The closest Richmond have been to a Premiership for a while with the great Jack Dyer handing Carey the 96 cup. :)

The greatest CHF there's been, and ever likely to see again.

You get Carey when you combine:

• The best natural power forward in the league - Pack Marking, physicality etc
  • The best goal sense in the league - football brain, assists etc.

• The best skillset in the league - the blokes footskills rivaled Buckleys, on both sides of his body

He was basically the combination of a gun small forward/gun CHF/gun polished midfielder, in a 6"4 95kg frame.

The last 2 points are what seperates him from the Browns, Riewoldts, Tredrea's etc.

Whilst Riewoldt etc, may rival the king in some aerial ability, they don't hold a candle to his footskills, footy brain, nouse etc.

Imagine if he had 2 fit shoulders for the majority of his career too. :eek:

Wasn't old enough to see Leigh Matthews but I can't imagine any footballer being able to surpass what Carey did.

As Pykie said, he was a smorgasboard of the various traits that made the perfect footballer.

And just seeing him giving it to Milburn after a goal makes me wonder if Laidley would have tried to breed that aggression out.

Thank Christ Pagan got him, and not Laidley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayne Carey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back