PMS24/7

Debutant
May 26, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
stkilda
MELBOURNE has made two football department appointments with Wayne Oswald joining the club in the new position of personal development manager and Craig Notman taking on the football operations manager role.

Oswald comes to the club after an outstanding football administration career with the Prahran/Sandringham Dragons in the TAC Cup, where he has served as its region manager since its inception in 1992.

There he was involved with now Melbourne players Simon Buckley, Shane Valenti and Matthew Warnock.

Notman, who has been Kevin Sheehan's right-hand man at the AFL for the past five years as talent coordinator, replaces Ross Monaghan, who has joined Richmond as its football operations manager.

Melbourne football operations general manager Chris Connolly said Oswald's appointment was important, considering the club's young list.

"Wayne has a wealth of experience, having been in charge of the Sandringham Dragons for the last 16 years. He has an outstanding reputation throughout the competition and he's well known," Connolly told melbournefc.com.au.

"It's a great coup for the club to have him come to the club as a sea-change and take on the challenge of developing the young players within the club and also having him help develop a lot of our young staff members."

Connolly said Notman had built up a fine administration career within the AFL.

"Craig has worked closely with Kevin Sheehan and Alan McConnell at the AFL during the past five years and has played an integral part in the continued growth of the AFL under 16 and 18 championships and AIS/AFL Academy," Connolly said.

"His outstanding work-ethic, knowledge and experience – combined with his previous work at AFL Tasmania and the Murray Bushrangers – makes him a great acquisition for the Melbourne footy club."

Oswald, who starts in November, said it was a "no-brainer" to join Melbourne.

"It's a pretty natural progression. It's taken a long time to make that step, but I've always wanted to and I'm obviously delighted Melbourne has recognised something in me and they've offered me the role," Oswald told melbournefc.com.au.

"It's a brand new job in the AFL, so to speak – a personal development coach. It's a bigger picture role. It looks at creating links, bonds and relationships back to the coaching group. It's giving assistance into the insight of the players."

Oswald said after meeting with Melbourne officials, it was an offer too good to refuse.

"I was really impressed by Jim Stynes, Cameron Schwab and Chris Connolly. They took me into the CEO's office and the boardroom at the MCG. I was a bit star-struck by that anyway, but they were open and honest with where it was at," he said.

"To get it back to where it's been – that's a massive challenge. But they had fantastic vision of where they want to go and anybody that didn't want to be part of that ride really isn't interested in footy – I mean it's the Melbourne footy club."

Meanwhile, Connolly said coach Dean Bailey is currently going through the process of finding a replacement for midfield coach Paul Williams.
for melbournefc.com.au

Cheers for posting that, good news that we're not just sitting on our hands. Both sound like they've got some good experience, maybe the bloke who's been working with Sheehan can give Barry a hand at draft time.

Good to something hear about the AC role too

Know a lot about Oswalds performances and have watched him for many years. His finest hour was when he was invited to address the MSJFL and give clubs an insight into where the Sandy Dragons program was headed. His preparation and performance that night was horrendous. How we could appoint this bloke to such an important role shows how little thought has gone into it. I'm absolutely shocked. We are going nowhere with this bloke on our team. He just does not have the skill set required for this position. Can he even turn a computer on? I doubt it. If I had a son at Melbourne he would be the last person one would want giving advice!

Know a lot about Oswalds performances and have watched him for many years. His finest hour was when he was invited to address the MSJFL and give clubs an insight into where the Sandy Dragons program was headed. His preparation and performance that night was horrendous. How we could appoint this bloke to such an important role shows how little thought has gone into it. I'm absolutely shocked. We are going nowhere with this bloke on our team. He just does not have the skill set required for this position. Can he even turn a computer on? I doubt it. If I had a son at Melbourne he would be the last person one would want giving advice!
Can he select the right team in his bigfooty account?

My mail is that he is gone. Back in the Sandy Dragons fould after receiving an offer to good to refuse. Think he might have found that he was out of his comfort zone.

Very unfair!

Extremely succesful at developing an environment to develop junior footballers in preparation for AFL footy. Exactly what the Dees have appointed him for.

I have also worked with Wayne Oswald and after 15 years of being involved in football, he is one of the best administrators I have worked with. Just as importantly, he is a very good person.

All the best Wayne.

Club Statement – Wayne Oswald

4:49 PM Wed 12 November, 2008

The Melbourne Football Club is disappointed to inform supporters that Wayne Oswald will not be commencing with the Club as previously announced.

Oswald committed to the Melbourne Football Club in the role of Personal Development Manager on 23 October 2008, but informed the Club late on Friday afternoon that he would instead be returning to his previous role at the Sandringham Dragons.

The Club will now commence the search of securing the best possible candidate for this role.

for melbournefc.com.au

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/Default.aspx?newsid=69719

"but informed the Club late on Friday afternoon that he would instead be returning to his previous role at the Sandringham Dragons."

Sounds like he quit so i would doubt we would pay him anything at all.

With Wayne Oswald not taking up the role, Melbourne have turned to another long serving TAC Cup Regional Manager, Ian Flack from the Eastern Ranges and formerly Northern Knights.

I believe Ian started work there this week and guess we'll hear something form Melbourne soon. I think he'll be ideal in that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayne Oswald & Craig Notman Appointments

Remove this Banner Ad

Back