Wayne Schwass

Remove this Banner Ad

for a footy crust, i think he said hes enjoying the footy special comments on foxtel rather than getting involved at a club level.

When Deni$ traded Schwatta I was that ****ed with him that I wrote him a letter asking "what drugs he was on?"
The next day he rings me at work and gives me this 'high and mighty' blast saying who am I to question his decisions!!! Needless to say it was pretty much a one sided conversation and then he slammed the phone down on me. :eek:
I had him on loudspeaker and my workmates listened in disbelief.

I think I hit a nerve with a few things!!
:D

Lost any respect for him after that.

Check out this

🤣

A long time favourite of mine. Should be in the Hall of Fame - amazed he's never suggested. He was winning B&Fs at a time Carey was at his peak, regular State of Origin player, Premiership player, another B&F at the Swans, nearly 300 games, fantastic player. And, if the "shit bloke after he's retired" rule has kept Ablett and Carey from Legend status, and others from being in the Hall of Fame at all, then Schwatta's charity work should elevate him.

Whilst Stevens, Bell and Archer are all worthy, I'd argue Schwass was the second best NMFC player through the 90s and therefore deserves a place as much as them.

A long time favourite of mine. Should be in the Hall of Fame - amazed he's never suggested. He was winning B&Fs at a time Carey was at his peak, regular State of Origin player, Premiership player, another B&F at the Swans, nearly 300 games, fantastic player. And, if the "shit bloke after he's retired" rule has kept Ablett and Carey from Legend status, and others from being in the Hall of Fame at all, then Schwatta's charity work should elevate him.

Whilst Stevens, Bell and Archer are all worthy, I'd argue Schwass was the second best NMFC player through the 90s and therefore deserves a place as much as them.

How does this nomination process happen?

Where does he stand in the pantheon of North Melbourne greats?
For mine he ranks very high, just below the Careys, Stevens Archers, Schimmas, Blights, Greigs, Glendinnings what do the people on here think?.
Only read the first post but I have him right up there.
Was winning B and Fs when the Duck was in full flight.
I think switching clubs severely impacts his ranking.
I was born late 70s and have him ranked only behind Carey and Harvey in talent and performance delivered.

we lost to the Saints

We lost to the saints when Corey got gang tackeled that ended that night.But shwatta wanted out and shannon grant was a damn good replacement,thats how highly the swans rated shwatta because they swapped their best man for him.
Was a genuine win-win trade. One of the few I recall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he was 14 at South ‘bool?

Go on…

Would have been 94-95 mid season. We were at the Warrny Pub rather late in the evening.

I held the table and he came and put his $1 on the cushion. We started playing, I don't think he remembered me from that 1 game of cricket we played together or that little pipsqueak a few years below him at school.:laughv1: but we had a little bit of small talk, didn’t go North nuffie and mention footy.

Anyway started to clean up and we were kicking their butts and he missed a shot. I said "stiff mate" and he fired up and went psycho "what did you call me". He kept going and it was his girlfriend who diffused the situation, dragged him away an apologized.

Pretty boring story really.

Would have been 94-95 mid season. We were at the Warrny Pub rather late in the evening.

I held the table and he came and put his $1 on the cushion. We started playing, I don't think he remembered me from that 1 game of cricket we played together or that little pipsqueak a few years below him at school.:laughv1: but we had a little bit of small talk, didn’t go North nuffie and mention footy.

Anyway started to clean up and we were kicking their butts and he missed a shot. I said "stiff mate" and he fired up and went psycho "what did you call me". He kept going and it was his girlfriend who diffused the situation, dragged him away an apologized.

Not boring

It’s real disappointing when you meet idols and that happens

Not boring

It’s real disappointing when you meet idols and that happens

Not really, growing up in the same town, going to the same school and having mutual acquaintances etc, we all knew what he was like.

What we didn't know though was the challenges he faced mentally, which when you look back on things now put things into perspective.

A little boring, anyway. It was a great trade, one of our few. Shags was just coming into his prime and as someone mentioned a bit like for like. He had fantastic skills, we never lost anything with the team we already had. I always thought that was the beauty of Pagan and Miller to some respect, we rarely got the arse end of trade situations.

I was waiting to get his autograph and a photo at Luna Park in 1996. I had been there for reasonable amount of time when someone arrived and shoved me out of the way. Schwatta was having none of it and told the person to get to the back of the queue then checked I was ok. Have always remembered that.

My hazy memory recalls Swatta got reported/suspended in a final and cost us a flag, that was why we got rid of him.

Fantastic player who also won a B&F at Sydney I think. I was always sad he missed our 1999 premiership. Not sure if he asked for a trade after Pagan's spray or it was a mutual thing. We got Shannon Grant (Norm Smith medallist with four goals in 1999) out of that trade if I recall correctly. Think Schwass basically KOd Peter Dean in the 1995 prelim vs Carlton! Massive bump.

I'd perhaps rate him 3rd after Wayne and Corey, but I have no doubt that he was a champion.

I realise that Schwatta was happy to go to Sydney, and that Grant was an excellent player for us, but I would have preferred that we kept him.

I was waiting to get his autograph and a photo at Luna Park in 1996. I had been there for reasonable amount of time when someone arrived and shoved me out of the way. Schwatta was having none of it and told the person to get to the back of the queue then checked I was ok. Have always remembered that.

It wasn’t me

Did you pay the $20 to get the photo with the Gold Cup?

Seemed a bit much at the time but it’s been worth every cent since and sits proudly above my computer with me and Schwatta

I had a good mop of hair back then.

My hazy memory recalls Swatta got reported/suspended in a final and cost us a flag, that was why we got rid of him.

That didn’t help but it was a mutual decision. Swatta's mental health wasn't the best at the time and the Pagan relationship had pretty much reached its end, similar to Corey Mckernan a bit later on. A fresh start was needed and there were no hard feelings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back