WCE Drinking Games

Remove this Banner Ad

are you actually suggesting that the coaching staff havent worked with him on his kicking?

Well whatever they are doing its not working.
My point is he is a mid who sees a fair bit of the footy. Having those kicking skills cannot be defended with "its his job to hand pass". That is a cop out that Priddis always receives when highlihgting his numerous flaws. "Its somebody else's job". When there is no reason why a pro footballer who is a mid should kick the footy like that.

He is going to get the footy a hell of a lot more than a second ruckman and fullback, there is no way he should be able to get away with Emac's kicking skills.

Look at Clinton Jones from StKilda, horrible kick of the footy, but has become very reliable, with his wonky little kicks. A lot like Glass.

Well whatever they are doing its not working.
My point is he is a mid who sees a fair bit of the footy. Having those kicking skills cannot be defended with "its his job to hand pass". That is a cop out that Priddis always receives when highlihgting his numerous flaws. "Its somebody else's job". When there is no reason why a pro footballer who is a mid should kick the footy like that.

He is going to get the footy a hell of a lot more than a second ruckman and fullback, there is no way he should be able to get away with Emac's kicking skills.

Look at Clinton Jones from StKilda, horrible kick of the footy, but has become very reliable, with his wonky little kicks. A lot like Glass.

understand your point completely. not defending his kicking skills, am defending his value to the side, to which his kicking should be irrelevant. i will not change my stance that priddis should not be kicking the ball, and that if he does it is a breakdown in team structure - just as it would be a breakdown in structure if le cras was forced to take a boundary throw in.

obviously priddis is going to get the ball more than a second ruckman or fullback. my point wasnt the amount of touches they get, but the role they play. priddis' role is to get the footy in hard inside traffic (also depriving the opposition of first touch) with the intent to provide the football to his outside players by hand. he is far better at this than anyone else in the squad (except kerr, obviously) - this is why he is in the team. the value he adds is not in his pinpoint kicking over 65m, just as you wouldnt expect the same from a second ruckman or full back.

as you note, cjones is another example of a bloke who cant kick to the standard expected of the average AFL player. his role and value to the saints is not defined by his kicking skills. if required, he can make do with his boot when in space, but more often than not he will handball. if he gets it in heavy traffic and doesnt have an immediate option to handball, he will hack it forward . priddis is adequate with his dinky little kicks when he is free in space, but due to his role in getting the hard he has to hack it out of congestion more often than he gets space to kick, which makes his kicking look worse again.

tl;dr priddis cant kick, priddis should never be in a position to kick, eagles better with him in the side and kicking haphazardly every fourth possession than with him not in the side and opposition with football

as you note, cjones is another example of a bloke who cant kick to the standard expected of the average AFL player. his role and value to the saints is not defined by his kicking skills. if required, he can make do with his boot when in space, but more often than not he will handball. if he gets it in heavy traffic and doesnt have an immediate option to handball, he will hack it forward . priddis is adequate with his dinky little kicks when he is free in space, but due to his role in getting the hard he has to hack it out of congestion more often than he gets space to kick, which makes his kicking look worse again.

tl;dr priddis cant kick, priddis should never be in a position to kick, eagles better with him in the side and kicking haphazardly every fourth possession than with him not in the side and opposition with football

Clint Jones, thanks to probably working non stop on it is a reliable short distance kick now. The fact that their plan might not rely on it is neither here nor there IMO. He will be relied upon to kick at certain stages of the game, he has made sure that he doesn't butcher the footy when he gets it.

I understand our plan might not be for Priddis to kick, but that is what I find short sighted. He will be in a position where he has to kick as a mid, so he should be able to at least not butcher the footy. Creating a Plan A, and then knowing what is wrong, because he shouldn't be kicking in an ideal world, is cold comfort as you watch a 25 metre helicopter.

I like to drink... oh **** it, I like to RAGE every time a west coast player runs past for a handball onto his wrong side.

Priddis runs past Sinclair for the hands, wrong foots himself, throws a dummy to nobody around him, looks rushed so he helicopter kicks that sucker high into the 50...

Masten gets it on his right side, releases Gaff running past on his WRONG side... right foot kick gets smothered

Sigh :thumbsdown:

I like to drink... oh **** it, I like to RAGE every time a west coast player runs past for a handball onto his wrong side.

Priddis runs past Sinclair for the hands, wrong foots himself, throws a dummy to nobody around him, looks rushed so he helicopter kicks that sucker high into the 50...

Masten gets it on his right side, releases Gaff running past on his WRONG side... right foot kick gets smothered

Sigh :thumbsdown:
just watched the first half of the third quarter of the replay last night, you would've had quite a hangover

One of the best inside mids in the game
I don't really mean to start a kerfuffle but:
Ablett, Watson, Mitchell, Thompson, Cotchin, Kennedy, Bartel, J.Selwood, Griffen, Mundy.
Which of these inside midfielders is Priddis close to?

I think you're confusing "one of the best inside mids in the game" with "one of the best at winning a clearance".
Much of the criticism levelled at Priddis is that he's only good at winning clearances, and that pretty much every other aspect of his game (disposal, pace, defensive ability, marking ability, goalkicking ability, versatility) ranges from average to very poor. Personally I think that's fair enough, and I don't think he should be in the team purely for the reason that we can't afford to have two exclusively inside and otherwise limited players (Kerr and Priddis) playing the majority of the game in the middle, and that Kerr is a better player.
Once Kerr moves on, gets injured or declines, Priddis would have a starting role again.

I remember playing the old fashioned 'sip when your player gets the ball, skoll a beer if he kicks' in 2006 when I was at uni with a bunch of mates.

We played Brisbane at the Gabba, and I drew the Qstick, happy days! Well not quite, from memory he slotted 7 or 8 and I missed a tute the next morning. He didn't miss that day, I can still see my my mates smug faces every time he pumped one through.

I remember playing the old fashioned 'sip when your player gets the ball, skoll a beer if he kicks' in 2006 when I was at uni with a bunch of mates.

We played Brisbane at the Gabba, and I drew the Qstick, happy days! Well not quite, from memory he slotted 7 or 8 and I missed a tute the next morning. He didn't miss that day, I can still see my my mates smug faces every time he pumped one through.

Good times :)

Had similar rules.. I was out on a boys Melbourne trip to see some MCG games to celebrate a bucks... watched last years second derby at Crown on the big-screen, unfortunately was the only eagles supporter in the group and it was a very dry night for me. Suffice to say my freo mates got blind-drunk and threw up on the tables :/

Ablett, Watson, Mitchell, Thompson, Cotchin, Kennedy, Bartel, J.Selwood, Griffen, Mundy.

I think you're confusing "one of the best inside mids in the game" with "one of the best at winning a clearance".
Much of the criticism levelled at Priddis is that he's only good at winning clearances, and that pretty much every other aspect of his game (disposal, pace, defensive ability, marking ability, goalkicking ability, versatility) ranges from average to very poor. Personally I think that's fair enough, and I don't think he should be in the team purely for the reason that we can't afford to have two exclusively inside and otherwise limited players (Kerr and Priddis) playing the majority of the game in the middle, and that Kerr is a better player.
Once Kerr moves on, gets injured or declines, Priddis would have a starting role again.

As far as pure 'inside mid' work goes - Priddis is probably as good, if not better then all of them. He is 2nd in the AFL in contested possession and 1st in clearances. Where he probably slips behind most of that lot is that he doesn't get as much outside ball ... and in particular doesn't hit the scoreboard as much. In addition, although his handball efficiency is just about the best of that group (particularly given how often his handballs are under the pump - see high contested possession count), his kicking efficiency is one of the lowest of that group. If Priddis could jag out a 20 goal season he would be mentioned in the same breath as that lot (I actually rate him higher than Mundy by the way).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you're confusing "one of the best inside mids in the game" with "one of the best at winning a clearance"..

The confusion is all yours, you've mentioned mostly outside mids

As far as pure 'inside mid' work goes - Priddis is probably as good, if not better then all of them. He is 2nd in the AFL in contested possession and 1st in clearances. Where he probably slips behind most of that lot is that he doesn't get as much outside ball ... and in particular doesn't hit the scoreboard as much. In addition, although his handball efficiency is just about the best of that group (particularly given how often his handballs are under the pump - see high contested possession count), his kicking efficiency is one of the lowest of that group. If Priddis could jag out a 20 goal season he would be mentioned in the same breath as that lot (I actually rate him higher than Mundy by the way).

WHAT ARE YOU DOING RIDS!?!?!?! just accept that priddis is terrible and ignore every piece of evidence that suggests he isn't. if you keep using rationality like that the priddis (or ploddus) bashers will gang up on you.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I don't think Priddis is a rubbish player, only that I don't think there's room for both him and Kerr in the team. If Kerr is out or retired I have no problem with Priddis being in the team.
People give a lot of credence to contested possession and clearance numbers but not a lot to their quality. Clearances from players like Ablett, Pendlebury, Cotchin, Watson and Dangerfield tend to be much better than those from Priddis, who will usually either throw it on the boot or handball to a close target. These players break tackles and use athleticism and skills that Priddis doesn't have to clear the ball from stoppages more effectively. In simple terms, more goalscoring opportunities will come from their clearances, and this is important when considering how good someone is as an inside midfielder. It isn't just a numbers game.

You say that where he probably slips behind is that he doesn't get as much outside ball, but that doesn't really cover it does it? He's a poor kick, a liability defensively, impotent overhead, certifiably slow, doesn't hit the scoreboard regularly and can only play one position. That is where those other players absolutely murder him, and all of those reasons are why he isn't mentioned in the same breath as those players, and compares more favourably with your Boyds, Moloneys and Coreys.
He's a one trick pony, even you would have to agree with that. My point is that we can't afford to have both him and Kerr hogging minutes in the middle sacrificing kicking skills, defensive ability, run, goalscoring, versatility and rotation.

The confusion is all yours, you've mentioned mostly outside mids
Humour me: which of those are outside mids?
Bearing in mind that Kennedy, Watson, Thompson, Selwood, Pendlebury, Mitchell and Ablett took up 7 of the top 11 spots for clearances per game last year.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I don't think Priddis is a rubbish player, only that I don't think there's room for both him and Kerr in the team. If Kerr is out or retired I have no problem with Priddis being in the team.
People give a lot of credence to contested possession and clearance numbers but not a lot to their quality. Clearances from players like Ablett, Pendlebury, Cotchin, Watson and Dangerfield tend to be much better than those from Priddis, who will usually either throw it on the boot or handball to a close target. These players break tackles and use athleticism and skills that Priddis doesn't have to clear the ball from stoppages more effectively. In simple terms, more goalscoring opportunities will come from their clearances, and this is important when considering how good someone is as an inside midfielder. It isn't just a numbers game.

You say that where he probably slips behind is that he doesn't get as much outside ball, but that doesn't really cover it does it? He's a poor kick, a liability defensively, impotent overhead, certifiably slow, doesn't hit the scoreboard regularly and can only play one position. That is where those other players absolutely murder him, and all of those reasons are why he isn't mentioned in the same breath as those players, and compares more favourably with your Boyds, Moloneys and Coreys.
He's a one trick pony, even you would have to agree with that. My point is that we can't afford to have both him and Kerr hogging minutes in the middle sacrificing kicking skills, defensive ability, run, goalscoring, versatility and rotation.

Humour me: which of those are outside mids?
Bearing in mind that Kennedy, Watson, Thompson, Selwood, Pendlebury, Mitchell and Ablett took up 7 of the top 11 spots for clearances per game last year.

Personally, I think we do need two of those inside clearance mids (be that Priddis or another like say 'the Hutch') in that if one gets tagged out of the game at least we still have one left. Kerr is just a champ, it's going to be a sad day loosing him :(

I was much more pissed about SS's bad kicks than anything Priddis did. If Scott had nailed his shots at goal I think we would have won.

I was much more pissed about SS's bad kicks than anything Priddis did. If Scott had nailed his shots at goal I think we would have won.

I thought apart from his poor shots on goal, he actually played quite well.. gave us a bit of run and significantly improved on previous weeks. Though, if he had a 'shanking' virus when taking shots, it certainly spread to his teamates that night ;)

Personally, I think we do need two of those inside clearance mids (be that Priddis or another like say 'the Hutch') in that if one gets tagged out of the game at least we still have one left. Kerr is just a champ, it's going to be a sad day loosing him :(
We have other capable clearance mids. In my mind the slight loss of clearance numbers in giving more midfield minutes to Shuey, Selwood, Masten and Wellingham would be more than offset by their superior disposal, pace, goalkicking (selwood aside) and defensive abilities in the middle. They are all good clearance players and will only get better with opportunity, opportunity that they don't get much of as it stands.

Remove this Banner Ad

WCE Drinking Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back