Roast We are the equivalent the worlds 2 worst shits having a shit Warning includes club criticisms

When will Matthew Nicks be sacked?

• Before the end of 2022

• End of 2022

• Middle of 2023

• End of 2023

• Middle of 2024

• End of his contract (2024)

• He will last beyond his current contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The one where he is literally a midfielder / HFF his entire junior footy days. Even stated by Twomey. Are you suggesting Twomey is wrong?

A couple of sentences later you yourself suggested Twomey was wrong about McHenry.

"A natural midfielder, he just doesn't have the body for it"... so........ he's not a natural midfielder then?

Hamish is always trying to be smarter than everyone else and go for the unexpected.

That’s why he has more hits with later picks and hardly any in the first round.

Our drafting performance tells us this is a bad strategy.

Correct. Hamish is the guy won a few grand thanks to a lucky $50 multi one time and thinks that is the norm so keeps trying for it, and surprise surprise, losing

Not sure if Brayden Cook should be under scrutiny too, given he was also a first round pick in this 2020 draft? (#25)

There were relatively a lot of SA players selected that year because of the Covid restictions on the Victorian juniors in particular (as well as travel). Hamish may not necessarily have had the SA blinkers on, although we can't discount it either.
Cook does not rack up lots of touches but he does know where the goals are and has a good field kick on him. As that mid sized forward if he bobs up with a couple of goals per game as he gets more and more exposure at the level, he will certainly be worth his spot in the side.

Since he has had a bit of a run at it this year, he has done some good things and is starting to look like he belongs at this level

Ned is absolutely a cross
Ned is a massive cross that we are determined to drag to 100 games so that we can point to games played and say "See, not a wasted pick."

I thought it would be an interesting exercise to have a look at a few other clubs’ first selection from the same period. Not sure what we can extrapolate from it, but I had more fun collating this than writing reports!

Hawthorn

2016 – Harry Morrison

2017 – James Worpel

2018 - Jacob Koschitzke

2019 – Will Day

2020 - Denver Grainger-Barras

2021 – Josh Ward

2022 - Cam Mackenzie

2023 – Nick Watson

Sydney

2016 – Oliver Florent

2017 – Matthew Ling

2018 – Nick Blakey

2019 – Dylan Stephens

2020 – Logan McDonald

2021 – Lachlan McAndrew

2022 – Jacob Konstanty

2023 – Will Green

Carlton

2016 – Sam Petrevski-Seton

2017 – Paddy Dow

2018 – Sam Walsh

2019 – Brodie Kemp

2020 – Corey Durdin

2021 – Jesse Motlop

2022 – Oliver Hollands

2023 – Ashton Moir

Essendon

2016 – Andrew McGrath

2017 – Jordan Houlahan

2018 – Irving Mosquito

2019 – Harrison Jones

2020 – Nikolas Cox

2021 – Ben Hobbs

2022 – Elijah Tsatas

2023 – Nate Caddy

Fremantle

2016 – Griffin Logue

2017 – Andrew Brayshw

2018 – Sam Sturt

2019 – Hayden Young

2020 – Heath Chapman

2021 – Jye Amiss

2022 – Hugh Davies

2023 – Cooper Simpson

St Kilda

2016 – Ben Long

2017 – Hunter Clark

2018 – Max King

2019 – Ryan Byrnes

2020 – Matthew Allison

2021 – Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

2022 – Mattaes Phillipou

2023 – Darcy Wilson

Collingwood

2016 – Ben Long

2017 – Hunter Clark

2018 – Max King

2019 – Ryan Byrnes

2020 – Matthew Allison

2021 – Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera

2022 – Mattaes Phillipou

2023 – Darcy Wilson

West Coast

2016 – Daniel Venables

2017 – Jarred Brander

2018 – Xavier O’Neill

2019 – Callum Jamieson

2020 – Luke Edwards

2021 – Campbell Chesser

2022 – Reuben Ginbey

2023 – Harley Reid

Bulldogs

2016 – Tim English

2017 – Aaron Naughton

2018 – Bailey Smith

2019 – Cody Weightman

2020 – Jamarra Ugle-Hagan

2021 – Sam Darcy

2022 – Jedd Busslinger

2023 – Ryley Sanders
You copy/pasted st kilda into Collingwood.

Weren't we working hard before?
Of course not. Working is for chumps

zJsPTL.gif

I thought it would be an interesting exercise to have a look at a few other clubs’ first selection from the same period. Not sure what we can extrapolate from it, but I had more fun collating this than writing reports!

Bulldogs seem the standout and that's not even including Bontompelli and Stringer.

Sydney pretty underwhelming if you take out Blakey as an academy pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was curious to hear Roo & Texs' car sales pitch, so was looking up MMM on Spotify. There was a segment called "The Rub" (or something similar) where B.Vince went reasonably hard. Haven't drafted stars, No one currently puts bums on seats, Only two players that other clubs would look at..
was refreshing to hear, especially coming from one of the Boys Club.
Not sure anyone takes Bern too seriously though.

I actually can't stop shaking my head at the selection committee and Administration.
If I didn't love the club so much I would've abandoned them long ago.
Hopefully one day they remember why they exist.
It's almost been 30 ****ing years. 30 ****ing years!!!!
The future doesn't look too bright either.

I actually can't stop shaking my head at the selection committee and Administration.
If I didn't love the club so much I would've abandoned them long ago.
Hopefully one day they remember why they exist.
It's almost been 30 ****ing years. 30 ****ing years!!!!
The future doesn't look too bright either.

As crazy as this sounds....

There isnt a lot the crows need to go from Bottom 6 to finals.

Crows need an Elite inside mids Like a Prime Fyfe or Prime Judd or a Prime Dustin Martin.

Hell a David Mundy workhorse that is 188-192 cm tall that averages 20-25 disposals a game would help a fair bit

As crazy as this sounds....

There isnt a lot the crows need to go from Bottom 6 to finals.

Crows need an Elite inside mids Like a Prime Fyfe or Prime Judd or a Prime Dustin Martin.

Hell a David Mundy workhorse that is 188-192 cm tall that averages 20-25 disposals a game would help a fair bit
True but they are a rare breed that quality of player

I’ll play.

Pav -an absolute superstar, however he finished his career with no bling. The mistake wasn’t picking Mcgregor over Pav, it was trading for Wayne Carey instead of Pav when he wanted to come home. But we can all play games of hindsight until the cows come home, but it doesn’t change anything It’s about making it work with what you’ve got. But I will say this respectfully. If you had kept McLeod you probably still wouldn’t have won a flag. If we didn’t get McLeod we probably wouldn’t have won our flags. Sometimes the stars just have to align.
Solid post.

In a strange and Alterattive universe. Andrew McLeod plays for freo. He could of had multiple knee recos like Shaun Rehn did in 1996 and 1999, right between those 2 flags.

I agree. I dont think Freo would of won a flag even if Andrew Mcleod played for freo. Might of make more finals complared to freos 8 years of finals out of 29 from 1995 to 2023.

In another scenario, Crows could of won a flag in 2006 If Trent Henschel didnt have that horriifc leg injury in round 21 vs Port.

The dark reality is that there are some supporters that will genuinely never see us win a flag again.

There has been premiership droughts much much longer than ours, its not beyond the realms of possibility.

Fortunately I have a passion for punting, so the AFL always keeps me interested. Its been 7+ years since 2017 and we are no where near a chance to win a flag in 2024.

Just Be fortunate your side won flags in 1997 and 1998. Could of Added 2005, 2006, 2012 and 2017 too.

Thats the true Dark reality. Some supporters won see a flag again.

As a Dockers fan, I fear that I wont see a dockers flag in my life time.

But the crows historically havent been in a period of 5 or 6 years in a row of no finals. Crows have had that 1994-6 period. That was Between the 1993 prelim and the 1997-8 flags.

Then there was that 1999-2000 plug and play rebuild. Then the one season drop off in 2004. Then the 2010-11 plug and play rebuild again and the 2013-4 band aid rebuild.

Again... You bringing up the Andrew McCleod trade for chris groom back at the end of 1994. What relevance does that have in 2024 with the crows current Playing list? none

Maybe my reply to your troll post was harsh.

Coming on an oppo board after beating them and listing all their failed draft picks is generally seen as a shit move.

Now though, reading your posts they do have a certain way about them, you may not have been aware of what you were doing.

Coming on an oppo board after beating them and listing all their failed draft picks is generally seen as a shit move.

Now though, reading your posts they do have a certain way about them, you may not have been aware of what you were doing.

I know the Ken McGregor trade looks glaring, but is it any worse than any other clubs drafting history. I think we have not had the best run in recent years and overlooked some guns. But we have also had our good years. There was a time even though we lost player after player through club culture we had a genuinely decent player sitting there to come up and we made a GF. So its never going to be perfect.

Does it excuse our current drafting. No not really. But the issue is are we maximising the talent drafted? No, i dont think we are.

I have said my honest opinion about your club.

I dont think Matthew Nicks is the main reason why the club is struggling. The bloke can only work with the players he has got.

You cant deny the failed draft picks. But even you know that a Prime elite inside mid like a Prime Judd or Prime Dangerfield or a prime 23-28 year old Dustin Martin would improve and help your club.

Backline and forward line isnt that bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast We are the equivalent the worlds 2 worst shits having a shit Warning includes club criticisms

Back