Remove this Banner Ad

guggu

Debutant
May 31, 2004
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I for one do not want players who do not respect the club and its history, and also do not want players who set a bad example in the ME ME ME attitude. That is wanting more money. This leaves a bad example for the younger players.

When you look at clubs like Brisbane who constantly take pay cuts and I hate to say this but even St.Kilda have done the same. You need to start somewhere to build a good foundation but with the current leadership players this is not happening.

That brings me to leadership. When the going gets tough the tough does not get going with our leadership group. We do not have good leaders and we are not doing anything to build a good leadership group.

guggu said:
I for one do not want players who do not respect the club and its history, and also do not want players who set a bad example in the ME ME ME attitude. That is wanting more money. This leaves a bad example for the younger players.

When you look at clubs like Brisbane who constantly take pay cuts and I hate to say this but even St.Kilda have done the same. You need to start somewhere to build a good foundation but with the current leadership players this is not happening.

That brings me to leadership. When the going gets tough the tough does not get going with our leadership group. We do not have good leaders and we are not doing anything to build a good leadership group.
agree mostly with what you say.

the club are trying to change the culture, by only offering 2 year deals, stopping the practice of beckending contracts and not being held to ransom by players and there leeches... sorry managers.

about leadership, you can't just click your fingers and turn anyone into a leader.
(serious question) How would you go about building a good leadership group?

I agree with your thoughts we finished last with this group of players so we can't get any worse. Anyone who is not happy with what the club has offered them is welcome to try there luck somewhere else.

As for leaders we need to recruit players with good character that can obviously play & like you I hate to admit it like the Saints have done with Ball,Hayes & Reiwoldt ect.

bibi01 said:
agree mostly with what you say.

about leadership, you can't just click your fingers and turn anyone into a leader.
(serious question) How would you go about building a good leadership group?

I do understand, as a Sticks does not grow on trees (no pun intended). But parkin actually agrees with St.kilda and Sydney in the changing of captain as this builds leadership. Also he mentions Brisbane in sticking together also creates leadership and the team bond.

guggu said:

very good point..........the whole club needs a change of attitude, we've also got to get rid of the jobs for the boys attitude.

Time to make an example of someone if they won't budge on their money or lenght of contract demands and potentially end their career. ie. Campo or Lappin.

Name a club that is going to pay them the money they want over three years at their age........can't think or many takers.

As much as I love what they have given the club over the years, they've been well compensated for that already. We cannot make the same mistakes again by overpaying aging players..........time to make a stand.

WTTF said:
very good point..........the whole club needs a change of attitude, we've also got to get rid of the jobs for the boys attitude.

Time to make an example of someone if they won't budge on their money or lenght of contract demands and potentially end their career. ie. Campo or Lappin.

Name a club that is going to pay them the money they want over three years at their age........can't think or many takers.

As much as I love what they have given the club over the years, they've been well compensated for that already. We cannot make the same mistakes again by overpaying aging players..........time to make a stand.

well said. We couldn't do any worse without them. This year has been as painful as 2003 and I'm actually excited about off loading our highest paid players to make way for a new generation at Carlton.

I think a serious adjustment needs to be made to the leadership group for 2006. With Kouta already named as captain, I'd have Stevens and Waite as co-vice captains. Then the other four players I'd have in the leadership group would be French, Scotland, Thornton and a toss up between Whitnall and Campo.

At first I would have thought Whitnall would be a shoe in for a spot in the leadership group, however, if reports are true about his money mongering well I hope he does not ever wear the Navy Blue jumper ever again. Someone like that is not a good influence on the younger players and a precedent has to be set by the club on how it deals with these issues. If the club gives into Lance's demands I will be bitterly dissapointed.

XXX KINGS said:
I think a serious adjustment needs to be made to the leadership group for 2006. With Kouta already named as captain, I'd have Stevens and Waite as co-vice captains. Then the other four players I'd have in the leadership group would be French, Scotland, Thornton and a toss up between Whitnall and Campo.

At first I would have thought Whitnall would be a shoe in for a spot in the leadership group, however, if reports are true about his money mongering well I hope he does not ever wear the Navy Blue jumper ever again. Someone like that is not a good influence on the younger players and a precedent has to be set by the club on how it deals with these issues. If the club gives into Lance's demands I will be bitterly dissapointed.

Agree with most of your selections although think that Scotland and Campo lack too much self discipline. They could both be valuable but if they dont play mature footy they could also not be in the 22 regularly IMO.

XXX KINGS said:

2005 ledership group

Barnaby French,
Matthew Lappin,
Ian Prendergast,
Nick Stevens,
David Teague
Lance Whitnall
Camporeale
Koutoufides

Agree with everything on this thread.

As good as both Campo and Lappin have been, two years if fair to both club and player.

If they want to be greedy and demand more the club has every right to say no and let them go.

Likewise Whitnall, he has given the club little value over the past 5 years. Last year was best for a long time, funny it was his last year of a fat contract.

Initially I thought we could not afford to lose Whitnall, Lappin and Campo but our club seems to have more trouble in recent years than any other with contract negotiations.

Time to take a stand.

pumped said:
Agree with most of your selections although think that Scotland and Campo lack too much self discipline. They could both be valuable but if they dont play mature footy they could also not be in the 22 regularly IMO.
Maybe it's best we don't have a leadership group and instead give vice captaincy to three or four players. Thoughts?

Me,
i don't give a damn about leadership groups.
If you are good enough,
you earn respect,
you don't have to be nominated as a leader.

'81-'82 you got guys like Sellars smoking in the cubicle before a game,
Jimmy Buckley stuffing a form guide down his sock in the next,
Dominator in the next with a trans glued to his ear listening to the third at Moonee Valley, and the buzz already in his gear at 11am.
Oh and sitting in another corner is a Rhodes Scholar.

And they go out and kick 12 goals in the first quarter against Sydney.

It takes all types to play this game.
If they can play, they play.

Jesus, i don't want a faceless bunch of kids playing keepings off out there.
Be serious.
the game thrives on characters.

You guys carry on like you are curing cancer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

We Don't need MeMeMe Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back