Roast We own the Tiger train and NO TICKET FOR YOU - 2022 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Ticket for Buddy after an interview with Slobbo in the H/S.

MR: Who is the best player in the comp?

LF: Bontempelli by a fair margin. When we played them at Marvel last year, I ran past him and thought ‘wowee’. Trust me, he is wow. He is another level, he’s another couple of levels. He’s smooth, he’s big, he’s good.

I recall at the end of 2016 Mathew Lloyd saying we were going nowhere with Dimma as coach with that annoying smirk on his face then after we went bang in 2017 he's been sucking up to us ever since so Lloyd no ticket for you campaigner.
Same should go for all who get coin off of "Jabba".

All Crocks - No train please.

images

Last edited:
This campaigner gets tied to the train tracks

Can the the train gets to stop, reverse, back over, and charge forward again? Good news, he is likely holding hands with Salty Chrissy. All opportunity to score 2, 4, 1.

Very bullish on Shai Bolton despite my earlier misgivings

Hey captain blood 17 how about Ben Dixon? He seems to have a soft spot for the Tiges and has done for a few years now. Here's a few snippets from this article.

According to former Hawthorn sharpshooter Ben Dixon, the Tigers tick off each of the ‘Three S’s’ for how he assesses the potential fortunes of a team — system, side and (past) success.
And while not outright picking them to win the flag, Dixon predicts they’ll be among the premiership contenders this year.

“They’re too good a team and well coached by Damien Hardwick to stay down. Once you’ve had a successful system, you’re going to find yourself playing finals. I don’t think we’ll see them outside the top eight again,” he told foxfooty.com.au.

“You can’t have a system that has yielded sustainable success like they’ve had and fall away so suddenly — the backdoor doesn’t just blow open, it’s nailed shut. They’ve developed some really good IP in the way they’ve played.

“And of course, their team still stacks up against the best of them. They looked pretty tired last year and were banged up, it wasn’t necessarily the system that broke down. It was a culmination of being up for so long, but it’s often when you don’t have air and come down, you get to go back up again.”

OVERCOMING INJURIES AND QUESTIONS OF DEPTH

The Tigers were hit as badly as any team by injuries last year, with Dustin Martin, Shane Edwards, Toby Nankervis (all restricted to 16 games), Noah Balta, Nathan Broad (both 14), Kane Lambert (13) and Dion Prestia (12) missing significant chunks of the season.

Although every club, no matter how good they are, has a tipping point, it exposed queries around Richmond’s depth, further heightened by the off-season departures of Bachar Houli, David Astbury, Mabior Chol, Callum-Coleman Jones.

Already adding to their woes, Nick Vlastuin and Jack Graham (both hamstring) have had injury-interrupted pre-seasons, Grimes (thumb) could miss the early rounds and Lambert (hip) might not play at all in 2022.

It means the Tigers may need bigger contributions from their lesser names and more development from their youngsters.

However Dixon wasn’t overly concerned by the Tigers’ personnel.

“They’ve lost some players, but they showed in the past that if you lose a player, you can replace him with one, and they’ve done that so well. I just think collectively they looked like a really tired team,” he said.
“When you’re tired, you can’t operate your system as best you possibly can. But I don’t think their injuries as such hurt their chances, it was more the collective energy across the group.

“They look like a team that if they lose someone, look forward to replacing them. If they lose a Dusty Martin, they regroup to work out how they cover Dusty, or if they’re down two of their members from their back six, they work out how to collectively make it a better defensive unit.”
“Most good teams over the years always had a strong backline. And you don’t need the best backline in the competition to win the flag, you just need the right mix,” Dixon said.

“Most of the pressure when the ball is coming down the field is from the forwards pushing up and the midfield. If that’s on — which Richmond is very good at — you don’t need a top three backline in the competition, you just need the right flexibility and personnel in terms of matchups.”

DUSTY GETTING BACK TO HIS BEST

In a move that will excite Richmond fans and strike fear through the competition as another one of Hardwick’s adjustments in 2022, a trimmed-down Martin, following his serious kidney injury, will spend more time on the ball.

It’s not like the Tigers are lacking firepower in attack without Martin, spearheaded by Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt.
One of the greatest players of all-time, we’ve seen exactly how dominant Martin can be playing almost exclusively in the midfield, most notably his incredible 2017 season, where he claimed Brownlow Medal, Norm Smith Medal and premiership honours.

But Dixon believes Martin’s capacity to simply play a role is what’s most important — not him racking up huge numbers — and being around the contest more.
“He sacrifices his game as good as anyone. A lot of people think Dusty just does his own thing and pushes forward when he wants, but they’re not watching the game. You’ve got to watch what he does off the ball, he’s actually playing in the system and his role within it,” he said.

“That 2017 year when he won everything other than the Melbourne Cup was just incredible. Since then, I’m not looking for Dusty’s 30 disposals and four goals, I’m looking for 25 disposals and two goals and four goal assists.

“I don’t know if he can take his game to a new level. The positive for me is to see him back in the midfield, instead of sitting forward — because he’s so dangerous around the ball.”

Hey captain blood 17 how about Ben Dixon? He seems to have a soft spot for the Tiges and has done for a few years now. Here's a few snippets from this article.

According to former Hawthorn sharpshooter Ben Dixon, the Tigers tick off each of the ‘Three S’s’ for how he assesses the potential fortunes of a team — system, side and (past) success.
And while not outright picking them to win the flag, Dixon predicts they’ll be among the premiership contenders this year.

“They’re too good a team and well coached by Damien Hardwick to stay down. Once you’ve had a successful system, you’re going to find yourself playing finals. I don’t think we’ll see them outside the top eight again,” he told foxfooty.com.au.

“You can’t have a system that has yielded sustainable success like they’ve had and fall away so suddenly — the backdoor doesn’t just blow open, it’s nailed shut. They’ve developed some really good IP in the way they’ve played.

“And of course, their team still stacks up against the best of them. They looked pretty tired last year and were banged up, it wasn’t necessarily the system that broke down. It was a culmination of being up for so long, but it’s often when you don’t have air and come down, you get to go back up again.”

OVERCOMING INJURIES AND QUESTIONS OF DEPTH

The Tigers were hit as badly as any team by injuries last year, with Dustin Martin, Shane Edwards, Toby Nankervis (all restricted to 16 games), Noah Balta, Nathan Broad (both 14), Kane Lambert (13) and Dion Prestia (12) missing significant chunks of the season.

Although every club, no matter how good they are, has a tipping point, it exposed queries around Richmond’s depth, further heightened by the off-season departures of Bachar Houli, David Astbury, Mabior Chol, Callum-Coleman Jones.

Already adding to their woes, Nick Vlastuin and Jack Graham (both hamstring) have had injury-interrupted pre-seasons, Grimes (thumb) could miss the early rounds and Lambert (hip) might not play at all in 2022.

It means the Tigers may need bigger contributions from their lesser names and more development from their youngsters.

However Dixon wasn’t overly concerned by the Tigers’ personnel.

“They’ve lost some players, but they showed in the past that if you lose a player, you can replace him with one, and they’ve done that so well. I just think collectively they looked like a really tired team,” he said.
“When you’re tired, you can’t operate your system as best you possibly can. But I don’t think their injuries as such hurt their chances, it was more the collective energy across the group.

“They look like a team that if they lose someone, look forward to replacing them. If they lose a Dusty Martin, they regroup to work out how they cover Dusty, or if they’re down two of their members from their back six, they work out how to collectively make it a better defensive unit.”
“Most good teams over the years always had a strong backline. And you don’t need the best backline in the competition to win the flag, you just need the right mix,” Dixon said.

“Most of the pressure when the ball is coming down the field is from the forwards pushing up and the midfield. If that’s on — which Richmond is very good at — you don’t need a top three backline in the competition, you just need the right flexibility and personnel in terms of matchups.”

DUSTY GETTING BACK TO HIS BEST

In a move that will excite Richmond fans and strike fear through the competition as another one of Hardwick’s adjustments in 2022, a trimmed-down Martin, following his serious kidney injury, will spend more time on the ball.

It’s not like the Tigers are lacking firepower in attack without Martin, spearheaded by Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt.
One of the greatest players of all-time, we’ve seen exactly how dominant Martin can be playing almost exclusively in the midfield, most notably his incredible 2017 season, where he claimed Brownlow Medal, Norm Smith Medal and premiership honours.

But Dixon believes Martin’s capacity to simply play a role is what’s most important — not him racking up huge numbers — and being around the contest more.
“He sacrifices his game as good as anyone. A lot of people think Dusty just does his own thing and pushes forward when he wants, but they’re not watching the game. You’ve got to watch what he does off the ball, he’s actually playing in the system and his role within it,” he said.

“That 2017 year when he won everything other than the Melbourne Cup was just incredible. Since then, I’m not looking for Dusty’s 30 disposals and four goals, I’m looking for 25 disposals and two goals and four goal assists.

“I don’t know if he can take his game to a new level. The positive for me is to see him back in the midfield, instead of sitting forward — because he’s so dangerous around the ball.”
Yep, i'll allow Ben on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back