jls-roos

Debutant
Apr 20, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Because Williams have confirmed their 2007 driver lineup.

Alex Wurz will step up from the third-driver role to join Nico in the now Toyota-powered race seats. I'm figuring Karthikeyan will move up into the third driver role next year.

I can't imagine Williams just ditching Webber into the cold though, so he must have something signed/planned. Yes Williams didn't take up his option, but they seemed to be waiting a little on what he decided to do (take a pay cut or move along). Quite possible he could slot in next to Fisi in the Renault...which would be a strong move forward.

But my heart does, and always will, lie with Williams, so I thank Mark for his short time with us...and I hope he has some more success somewhere else than luck would permit at Williams.

I haven't really followed the F1s closely this season but with the amount of DNFs there must have been a fair bit of friction between Webber and the team internally so the news is not that surprising.

4 teams in 5 years will make his new home, if he finds one, Mark's last chance.

Depends really on a bunch of driver moves. Kimi will basically be first choice of Ferrari or Renault when it comes down to it. If he does go to Ferrari, then it depends if Renault want to slide Kovalainen into the race seat.

Seems Williams wanted an answer, Webber wanted time, and with Williams on the hunt for sponsors, they needed to set a driver lineup now. Again, he may already have something sorted, but I'm not 100% sure.

Still seats at Red Bull and McLaren, McLaren seems more likely to go to Hamilton.

TigerFan said:
can't see Webber at Renault unless he's the third driver

my money's on BMW (assuming the impressive Kubica doesn't get promoted)

BMW did promote Kubica.

Raikonen should be at Ferrari next year. He was destined for there IMO. Isn't Montoya moving to NASCAR racing or something? There could be 2 holes at McLaren with Alonso filling 1. Briatore take Webber or lose him to rivals. How can Briatore be Webber's manager? Webber could easily tell him things he shouldn't about Williams...

What, like the car is s**t?

Not exactly a secret. :D

Jarryd_S said:
I was shocked to see that, I would've thought they'd want to hang on to him. But it paves the way for him to move to Renault now.
if you know sir frank history in dumping drivers

the thing his he want to pay as less money as he can for drivers - as soon as drivers get good enough to earn more he dumps them

DC
Hill
JV
JPM...

Now Mark

i'll bet that when nico goes well the same will happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be very interesting to see where he ends up at. Renault would be his ideal choice, but if McLaren's reliablility improves next year it would be hard to turn it down (seeing that Alonso has already booked his seat).

I've got a passing interest in F1. Don't follow it enough to call myself a huge fan, but i watch it every now and then and always look out for results and i'm not surprised at Webbers frustration about all the DNF with Williams. One race in particular was the Monte Carlo one that i watched, he was in an excellent position to finish on the podium, but it wasn;t to be. Would be good for Webber to see him at Renault. Consistant car. I bet Alonso is spewing about making the change?

Minkus_Swan said:
It will be very interesting to see where he ends up at. Renault would be his ideal choice, but if McLaren's reliablility improves next year it would be hard to turn it down (seeing that Alonso has already booked his seat).
not mclaren

the car hasnt been the best and Ron Dennis still manages to blame the driver

Win - its the car
Loose its the driver

as one person mentioned - time for flavio to look after him

I think its fair to say that Webber defiently has offers from elsewhere to look at. Also, its fair to say that he has at least two teams interested, Renault and McLaren, and possibly a third in Red Bull. Its unlikely that he is these teams only option. However, there is only one Kimi, and there are three seats that are open to him, surely, the odds suggest, he'll take one of the remaining two, or the other one, as Mark will not go to Ferrari. Best option for Mark is Kimi to Ferrari. Toss a coin, Renault or McLaren for Webber.

But Briatore hasnt signed for Renault next year either, he could be looking to get out before it goes bad.
Renault dont have a sponsor for next year either (althoough selling engines to Red Bull will get some cash) and the change to Bridgestone tyres will also most likely affect Renault for the worse. Webber going to Renault might not be as good as some think.

roostersgal4eva said:
if you know sir frank history in dumping drivers

the thing his he want to pay as less money as he can for drivers - as soon as drivers get good enough to earn more he dumps them

DC
Hill
JV
JPM...

Now Mark

i'll bet that when nico goes well the same will happen

Don't forget Damon Hill. Anyway, he needs a change, Renault would be good, but Red Bull could be a real bolter, considering Adrian Newey is designing their '07 car............:D

Seems rediculous that he wouldn't get a decent drive next year, especially if the main reason for Williams decision is $$$$$$. Webber wuld be worth something to a team who can produce a car that can finish at least half the races

Herbs said:
Red Bull could be a real bolter, considering Adrian Newey is designing their '07 car............:D

Ferrari engines as well, Red Bull could actually be a good move. As I see it, RBR could be on par with Honda next year, and now that Honda has won a race, there is every chance Webber could be in a car thats able to win races next year. Good news.

jimmy_clement#8 said:
Ferrari engines as well, Red Bull could actually be a good move. As I see it, RBR could be on par with Honda next year, and now that Honda has won a race, there is every chance Webber could be in a car thats able to win races next year. Good news.

Red Bull most likely have Renault engines next year, Toro Rosso will get the Ferrari engines. A Newey designed Red Bull chassis with a Renault engine should be pretty formidable.

It turns out that Webber has already signed with RBR, and will announce it sometime in the next 6-8 days. This move will define his career and only makes me think that Renault have got Kimi sewn up, and that Schuey will stay at Ferrari next year, although this may not be even close to the reality of the situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Webber will not race at Williams in 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back