Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that the order you do it in too?

Btw seems like a lot of bicep work and missing calves?

Also how to do you dumbbells on the pec deck? :/

Is that the order you do it in too?

Btw seems like a lot of bicep work and missing calves?

Also how to do you dumbbells on the pec deck? :/

No certainly not the order, this is what im doing when i have extended rest in between and am looking for more of a bulk.

My training is completely different atm with High intensity training with no rest in between sets.

I dont do calves, waste of time. If you want to get strong calves do sprint work. When i worked with an ex freo strength and conditioning coach he said there is no need to lift weights on a machine at the gym, better off doing your own little activities without weights.

its the peck deck laying down on a bench, with two dumbells one in each arm. I just call it the peck deck because its a similar movement to the machine one. Start facing up with two dumbells position together lower dumbells to side with good form, and squeeze on the way up to target a big more of the minor. On the way down very good for targeting the pec minors.

No certainly not the order, this is what im doing when i have extended rest in between and am looking for more of a bulk.

My training is completely different atm with High intensity training with no rest in between sets.

I dont do calves, waste of time. If you want to get strong calves do sprint work. When i worked with an ex freo strength and conditioning coach he said there is no need to lift weights on a machine at the gym, better off doing your own little activities without weights.

its the peck deck laying down on a bench, with two dumbells one in each arm. I just call it the peck deck because its a similar movement to the machine one. Start facing up with two dumbells position together lower dumbells to side with good form, and squeeze on the way up to target a big more of the minor. On the way down very good for targeting the pec minors.
What? Dumbbell bench :confused:

Also, proper peck deck with DBs would be a shoulder excercise, not that Id recommend it.

When i worked with an ex freo strength and conditioning coach he said there is no need to lift weights on a machine at the gym, better off doing your own little activities without weights.
That is utterly absurd.

Was he suggesting only one particular group of muscles should get that treatment, or everything?
Either way I don't believe he said it.

That is utterly absurd.

Was he suggesting only one particular group of muscles should get that treatment, or everything?
Either way I don't believe he said it.

He is referring to calves I believe. I have read things that suggest calves don't respond as well to traditional weights etc, and will grow better using sprints/cycling.

He is referring to calves I believe. I have read things that suggest calves don't respond as well to traditional weights etc, and will grow better using sprints/cycling.

That's why i hit them with 15 rep sets rather than lower.

Haven't actually had any issues with mine growing though.

Same here cfol; 15 reps work a lot better for me.

Having said that, my calves are disproportionately small (they're slightly smaller than my upper arm) because I walk and run flat footed.

I've found re-training myself to do this on my toes has stimulated them a lot more.

I've found better results with higher reps as well and no rest. Tends to be the main calf muscle that benefits for me though.

I've found sprints work better for the soleus.

Yeah your spot on GW

He was talking more about strength rather than actual growing but one looks after the other. Sprint athletes barely do any calf weights just isnt worth their time and they wont gain anything from it. As i said your better off doing sprint styled activities to get strength in your calves. Doing calf raises is a waste of time.

Its the reason why you see all the sprinters with massive calves, if youve seen any decent ones up close. The same goes for me, although both mine arnt the same size hehe.

Hey guys just looking for a bit of advice have started back in the gym after a year of being lazy put on about 10kg probably. Have been doing a full body workout for about a month now how long before I should start breaking my workout up into lower and upper?

Have been swimming twice a week and cycle class twice a week also for cardio.

Hey guys just looking for a bit of advice have started back in the gym after a year of being lazy put on about 10kg probably. Have been doing a full body workout for about a month now how long before I should start breaking my workout up into lower and upper?

Have been swimming twice a week and cycle class twice a week also for cardio.

Right away, in my opinion.

I can understand the whole condition thing but I'm really not a fan of full body training. You'll get better results from breaking it down into body parts. And that cycle class you're doing, if you can do that after a weights session, you'll find that it works much better than when you're fresh. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tossing a bit of my own experience if I might. I cycle on and off between high weights, low reps and low weight high reps. I've gotten my best gains by using a standard bench press and some machine weights, but I notice that if I am working with free weights/dumbells for 2-3 weeks at a time and take time off from the bench, that I can up my gains significantly.

The one thing I can offer up tho is that if you operate on a good, balanced diet....eating lots of raw and uncooked fruits and veggies....spinach with your eggwhites at the last minute, broccoli steamed lightly etc.....you will feel invincible and really never feel sore.

But the biggest tip I can give you is to kick off from caffeine. Changing my diet to be as good as it is today was a vast improvement in how long I can go in the gym (3-4 hours some days) and how hard I can work...but when I gave up caffeine I basically never felt sore again....I'd work the point of failure and do things like 2x bodyweight squats (me + bodyweight on bar) and bodyweight chest press and I don't even pull up sore the next day and I am working hard.

Other benefits to giving up caffeine include sleeping better, being more restful at work (not bouncing my leg at my desk, not changing moods as quick) and my energy levels never drop during the day because I am trying to balance a level of caffeine above 0.

Give up caffeine on your daily use, and if you want performance gains drink it before a run or before a weight session. Lots of publications and sites I've read up on have suggested that caffeine can help you lift and run 10% better. Food for thought.

My current split is basically this:

Have a fair bit of volume with shoulders, but that had always been a weak area for me.

Try to do 3 x 5 for my main lifts, usually 2 sets and 8-10 reps for isolations or secondary lifts.

What i do

Will add my back ect

Thanks for posting that guys.

I've recently been doing general weights training, but want to move to muscle specific training. I don't have any real deficiancy areas in terms of size and targeting one area, just want to keep pushing all muscle groups. Main goal is small size increase and shredding.

Anyone have a good 6 day template for a balanced workout of all muscle groups. Is it better to do biceps with back or chest etc.

I have Sunday's off.

At present It consists of the following:

Monday:
ab work
jog
9-5 job
General weights (3x3x10 chest, 3x3x10 upper back, 3x3x10 lower back, 2x3x10 legs)

Tuesday:
ab work
jog
9-5 job
Boxing
Bike Ride/Jog

Wednesday:
ab work
jog
9-5 job
General weights (3x3x10 chest, 3x3x10 upper back, 3x3x10 lower back, 2x3x10 legs)
Bike ride/jog/long walk

Thursday:
ab work
jog
9-5 job
Boxing
Bike ride/jog or light weights

Friday:
ab work
jog
9-5 job

Saturday:
Boxing/long bike ride

Sunday:
Off
May chuck some stuff in there if I've got some time and aren't too hungover.

I'm going to start doing my cario before weights as I'm probably not giving the muscles enough rest time and not allowing the protein I'm having to be used for the replenishment.

Ideally I'd like to continue the boxing and jogging as cardio, but do 6x weights sessions with more targetted work.

I have Sunday's off.

At present It consists of the following:

I'm going to start doing my cario before weights as I'm probably not giving the muscles enough rest time and not allowing the protein I'm having to be used for the replenishment.

Ideally I'd like to continue the boxing and jogging as cardio, but do 6x weights sessions with more targetted work.

there seems to be a lot of fluffy exercise in there, there's no where near enough intensity it seems to me...2 jogs in 1 day? shit just sprint for 10mins and be done with it

Re: Diet Diet, Supplements and Enhancers - Part III

Kirky & all,

After getting a fitness evaluation in a bod pod I've begun eating more calories per day and keeping my normal routine of going to the gym for 2-3 hours 5 nights a week. My results came back and told me my RMR = 1,790 cal/day and based on my activity level I should be eating between 2,700 and 3,100 calories per day. I've since upped my calories and have averaged 2,700 calories with some good food choices thrown in. A week into this new approach I haven't noticed a difference on the scale and since I can't afford to re-test more often then once every 3 months I was curious about a few things.

My targets for the 2700 to 3100 calories range are currently 180g/720cal protein, 45g/405cal or less of total fat and the rest/1575-1975cal as carbs.

I've swapped out the majority of things I was eating out (life of a desk job in summer) and am back on a mix of Egg whites, Greek Yogurt, Chicken, Whole Wheat pasta, breads, WPI Shakes and tons of mixed greens and fruits.

What, if anything, would you modify off this 4 day program?
Day 1 2km run, 10x60s intervals then Chest/Back
Day 2 1km run, 10x60s intervals then Arms and Legs
Day 3 2km run, 10x60s then Core work
Day 4 Rest
Repeat

Just because your online otherwise ill leave it to the more informed posters who know more.

But that program seems like a massive overload and too much. You will probably break down after a few days with injuries. Keep the intervals they can gain as much fitness and lose more cals as long runs can. I dont see the point in doing 1-2km runs with intervals aswell than also going to the gym. I think you probably need to go to the gym 4-5 times a week than do interval running 3 times a week and that would be good enough or maybe do intervals aswell when you just do core or abdominal work at the gym.

Those foods all look good to me.

Others will be able to tell you more.

AFL clubs rarely do long distance running any more, same goes for those longer distant runners in the olympics aswell.

All football training is interval type stuff with speeds increasing or decreasing, rest increasing/decreasing and distance usually doesnt get more than 400m in any one interval.

The longer runs are only really a testing device to see if their is improvement or not. Even the beep test is starting to slowly get phased out but still be a device to test results of improvement.

AFL clubs rarely do long distance running any more, same goes for those longer distant runners in the olympics aswell.

Snip.......

I really only run those quick distances (since here in the states everything is measured im miles, I'm really running a relatively short distance compared to my peers) but I use it as a warm up. I typically will run a slower 1-2km just to warm up and go stretch, then come back to do the real work on intervals...then stretch some more before doing some weights.

That said it's going to hit 20 C today for the first time in almost 5 months so I am looking forward to getting out on the track or grass today and getting some good work in....training commences for us in 2 weeks, game in 2 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back